North East Storm Prep Thread...Lets get one goin'

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChipMonger

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Thought it might be kinda fun to start a storm prep thread for those of us in the path of Sandy. I'll go first...

Bought two new loops of Oregon 72JGX full skip, for my 390xp 32" bar, and 24" bar have'nt run it before. I usually run Stihl chain so i figure i'll give it a shot. Have any of you guys run it? how did/do you like it? Its all my dealer had to make loops with. Had plenty of diff chains up to 20" but not much above that.

Picked up a gallon of B&C oil with a quart of transmission fluid, and some back up 2cycle oil incase i go through all of my Maxima K2. Got fresh fuel too.

Went through and double checked all my saws, and sharpened chains.

Got some non-perishables too, storm isnt supposed to be here till monday night or tuesday and the chaos has already started.

Bring it on Sandy, drop all the trees you want i'll cut my way through em':rock::chainsaw::hmm3grin2orange::chainsawguy::big_smile:

Lets keep this goin' whos next?

I like me a good storm (provided #### doesn't get too out of hand), You got some good size sticks around yer place?
if it gets to the point of having to decide which neighbor to cull for supper, let me know and I'll send ya some jerky :D

First thing, my saws, blowers, pretty much all power tools are safe from the flood waters, unlike Irene which I lost all my power equipment due to the nasty flooding.

Thing that sucks big donkey d*ck is I am finally 2/3 of the way done fixing the house from the 1.5 feet or so of salt water mix that decided to saturate my house and now more flooding is a real deal full moon high tide, no smiling here.:msp_angry:

I am sure the cutting will be major after the storm goes through, until then stay safe guys.

Make sure you have extra fuel and start the generators early to assure they will fire if/when needed.

Good luck to all of you on the coast line and stay safe.

2 gallons B&C oil, 3 gallons of mix, 3 24" chains and 2 20" chains sharpened to perfection. Extra plugs, spare air filter and some other odds and ends. Filled the quad up with 5 1/2 gallons of gas, should we need an escape vehicle lol (can get through the deep stuff if needed). The truck is also full of gas.

9607C753.jpg

436A9288.jpg

311239_10150378778655522_829402539_n.jpg

I fitted up the following for various reasons the last few weeks and have extra chains ready for all. Extra B&C gas etc. Chances are things are not going to be too crazy.

MS 211 w 14" (most likely to get used on some little branches...my guess is that's all we're going to get)

346 xpg w 16

372 w 20

576 w 24 tsumura light

I'll outfit the 3120 if I need it. Anything requiring that things attention is going to be slow to move anyway.

I thought of starting a thread about this earlier. :laugh: This storm is certainly being hyped up isn't it?

Store is all a buzz with activity. Sold 7 saws so far today. Lot's of accessories. Staying ahead of the repairs on saws and generators. But only a matter of timer til we get in deep. Bought some extra fuel for the shop, but other than that, we're all set. Plenty of saws in stock. Got a few of my own saws ready to go.

Should be interesting. Hope everyone has some fun, stays safe, and that there's little or no serious damage. :givebeer:

I thought of starting a thread about this earlier. :laugh: This storm is certainly being hyped up isn't it?

Store is all a buzz with activity. Sold 7 saws so far today. Lot's of accessories. Staying ahead of the repairs on saws and generators. But only a matter of timer til we get in deep. Bought some extra fuel for the shop, but other than that, we're all set. Plenty of saws in stock. Got a few of my own saws ready to go.

Should be interesting. Hope everyone has some fun, stays safe, and that there's little or no serious damage. :givebeer:

Aint that the truth. Last years halloween storm i didnt think was going to be bad, i didnt prep my gear and paid the price, figures, right? My dealer who is right down the street from me has a new contract with Honda generators and by noon today he was sold out, floor models included. People dont have any faith in CL&P, cant say that i blame them either, so people are buying everything they can.

I agree with Mike Funaro, hopefully it isnt bad, losing power for 11days last October was a pain in the ass.

Stay safe fellas, BUMP

2 gallons B&C oil, 3 gallons of mix, 3 24" chains and 2 20" chains sharpened to perfection. Extra plugs, spare air filter and some other odds and ends. Filled the quad up with 5 1/2 gallons of gas, should we need an escape vehicle lol (can get through the deep stuff if needed). The truck is also full of gas.

9607C753.jpg

436A9288.jpg

311239_10150378778655522_829402539_n.jpg

Nice quad Itsme7, looks like a good setup.

Sold a butt load of saws and blowers today.

Ordered another 100' roll of chain and some more bars today just in case.

I like me a good storm (provided #### doesn't get too out of hand), You got some good size sticks around yer place?
if it gets to the point of having to decide which neighbor to cull for supper, let me know and I'll send ya some jerky :D

HAHA. Your on!!! Yeah, i have some good size sticks around me, even more around my girlfriends house, TONS of huge oaks around her and on her property.

Chainsaws and generator are ready. Probably going to swap out the sump pump this weekend for a new one. Current one works fine but has been in there for a long time. Looks like we'll be on the edge of it. Hoping we just get some rain. Best of luck to all closer to the coast than I.

First thing, my saws, blowers, pretty much all power tools are safe from the flood waters, unlike Irene which I lost all my power equipment due to the nasty flooding.

Thing that sucks big donkey d*ck is I am finally 2/3 of the way done fixing the house from the 1.5 feet or so of salt water mix that decided to saturate my house and now more flooding is a real deal full moon high tide, no smiling here.:msp_angry:

I am sure the cutting will be major after the storm goes through, until then stay safe guys.

sweetjetskier:

Where are you in CT? if i can get to you after the storm im more than willing to lend a hand. Check your PM's i'll send ya my cell number.

I'm making a to do list, but basically it involves topping off the gas supplies, and picking up a few more batteries just in case.

The generator needs to be dug out and started. It should be fine, but I haven't run it since this spring. Unfortunately, it's surrounded by saws and gas cans. :popcorn:

They are saying it will veer west, but it's pretty rare for a storm to track that way. I'm betting it'll slowly creep east like every other storm.

Just a thought on electricity

If this storm knocks out power for millions, and the outage lasts some..might also interfere greatly with the election. Most places are running those infernal vote machines now that have to be hooked up to power and for the data stuff.

Anyway, one year ago you guys up there and inland a lot had a whopper storm on halloween, two years ago on oct 25 our cabin got smashed by the tornado. Funny how a lot of these big storms are hitting in the fall, isn't it?

Stay safe, prep well!

Nice quad Itsme7, looks like a good setup.

Thanks! Its definitely a great machine, fun as a toy but works just as well when needed. Ive hauled many loads of logs out of the woods with it over the past 2-3 years, including some trail maintenance. Heres another pic from 3 years ago clearing some trails.

DSC01320.jpg

Got good books to read? Coffee ground up? Bisquick is good to have or stuff to make bread with, maybe get a dutch oven. Mmmm comfort food and good books are what I like to have when cut off by flooding or slides. But doing the dishes can be a pain. Should be lots of water though.

Hope it isn't a bad one.

Well my 32ES light came for the 441 today... currently have the 28ES Light on there, so I'm pretty prepared I think, the 044 has a 20in.

Latest posts

Back