North East Storm Prep Thread...Lets get one goin'

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lost power, phone and internet for a couple days. Everything back to normal here now. Been good for business and still selling saws and accessories.

I drove around today, there is a lot of wood for the taking laying on the sides of the road.

There is a lot of wood lying by the side of the road along my property. It is NOT for the taking. Be cautious what you assume you can take and be sure to get permission.

We had a whole thread on this a year or two ago.

After a storm, there is usually so much downed wood around that getting free stuff is not a problem. Most people are glad to let you take it, so go ahead and ask - if they say 'No' or you can't get an answer, move on to the next property.

Note:

- People with storm damage are usually more appreciative if you are taking wood that you helped them clear from their yards, driveways, and walks then if you are picking through their already cleared piles. Lets you do a good deed for the day as well.

- If you are scavenging from piles make sure that you leave them as neat as you found them, don't block already congested roads or interfere with haulers contracted to remove the tree debris. If you are seen as intrusive or opportunist, you could inspire a hasty 'no wood scavenging' ban that would impact many.

Philbert

Casualties by country:

United States: 90 dead, 1 missing

Haiti : 54 dead, 21 missing

Cuba : 11 dead

Bahamas : 2 dead

Canada : 2 dead

Dominican Republic: 2 dead

Jamaica : 1 dead

Total : 162 dead, 22 missing

Last edited:
Casualties by country:

United States: 74 dead, 1 missing

Haiti : 54 dead, 20 missing

Total : 146 dead, 21 missing

There are thousands of homeless people who sometimes live way down in the tunnels and whatnot under NYC. No accurate figures. The real toll could be much higher.

It was a nasty storm to be sure. Category 1 hurricane, if it had been say a 2 or larger..man....

Here's another thing. The sheer volume of humans that would have to be moved in a much larger evacuation order, in that whole population dense huge coastal corridor..the infrastructure doesn't exist, no way to move them, no place for them to go to, no way to house/feed all those people someplace else with short notice, even a week's notice. We don't have "backup" relocation cities able to handle 10 million people just hanging around.

There are thousands of homeless people who sometimes live way down in the tunnels and whatnot under NYC. No accurate figures. The real toll could be much higher.

It was a nasty storm to be sure. Category 1 hurricane, if it had been say a 2 or larger..man....

Here's another thing. The sheer volume of humans that would have to be moved in a much larger evacuation order, in that whole population dense huge coastal corridor..the infrastructure doesn't exist, no way to move them, no place for them to go to, no way to house/feed all those people someplace else with short notice, even a week's notice. We don't have "backup" relocation cities able to handle 10 million people just hanging around.

I'm sure all that is true!

The cheer size of the storm made it worse than "normal" + the highest winds were spread over a huge area. At its strongest, it was a strong H2 (110 mph "sustained"), borderline to H3, but that was a few days before the centre hit the US coast.

There is a lot of wood lying by the side of the road along my property. It is NOT for the taking. Be cautious what you assume you can take and be sure to get permission.

I know the only wood i take is stuff thats on the side of roads on state property. If its by a house i make sure to ask the homeowner before hand or just pass it up, dont need any trouble.

The other day i was in the process of taking wood off of state land, maybe 30 ft into the woods, blowndown. I had a NJ Park Police drive by and look at me but not say anything, and a Newark Watershed security truck drive by, again not saying a word (Newark watershed property).

Last edited:
Most of the tree cutting companies hired by National Grid are just clearing the lines, cutting the trees down and leaving them where they fall and going to the next location. Too much work to go back and get them. They leave them for whoever wants them. But always good to check with homeowner first before taking anything on private property. :msp_thumbup:

Glad all you guys are getting stuff back to normal. If I was up there I'd help out best I could clearing roads helping you all cut firewood to take home even chain sharpening. 084 660 6401 3410 009L 5105 extra chains fuel oil would be there...

Really wish I could help.

Lots of photos from Sandy on the Internet. This one struck me as being related to clearing trees and getting power lines back up.

My Dad used to say that having the right tools is half the job.

Philbert

Air Force crews offload Southern California Edison power repair equipment from a C-5 Galaxy on Stewart Air National Guard Base in Newburgh, N.Y., Nov. 1, 2012.
The Defense Department initiated the airlift operation to aid recovery efforts in Hurricane Sandy's aftermath.

attachment.php

Thanks Philbert. You answered my question. I was wondering how they were going to get the linemen and trucks from here to there in a timely manner.

I do know that during a big fire bust back east somewhere, they loaded engines on trains and shipped them that way.

We have an Air Force base not too awful far from the Seattle metro area, and one near Spokane.

Latest update;

Casualties by country:

United States: 98 dead, 1 missing

Total : 170 dead, 22 missing

Another Photo:

Crews load Southern California Edison trucks, which will be used in Hurricane Sandy recovery efforts on the East Coast, on a U.S. Air Force C-17 Globemaster III aircraft on March Air Reserve Base, Calif., Nov. 1, 2012. Military bases across the nation are mobilizing in New York and New Jersey to help restore electricity and provide humanitarian assistance.

attachment.php

Well we all made it out of storm safe physically, the house had about 2.5 feet of salt water go through it, so it is a disaster again.

After finishing 2/3 of repair work from Irene dumping a foot of water through the house last year, it is emtionally draining to see all that hard, tedious work gone with the rising tide waters.

We will rebuild again, make the best of the situation, continue to be upbeat as diificult as that will be at times.

The police, national guard, border and customs patrols,etc have done a great job minimizing looting.

The looters have the balls to take to the water, on boats, to attempt to be unnoticed, to loot the damaged homes.

Black Talons are available if needed, dont want to have to go that direction with looters if possible though.

Thanks to all that PM'd me with offers of help, it is appreciated.

Chris

Latest update:

Casualties by country:

United States: 110 dead, 1 missing

Total : 182 dead, 22 missing[/QUOTE]

Last edited: