North East Storm Prep Thread...Lets get one goin'

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I stopped by both the Stens and Oregon booths, and offerred up my services for free......At the lawn/Garden Expo

Got no response, but why would they respond....?

I know how to run the Franzen robot, thought I might get whisked away........

272 and 346 gassed and sharpened . Silverado , tow strap and 20' log chain , always ready ....... :msp_thumbsup:

5500w , 4000w , and 1000w suitcase gen. gassed, fresh SAE30, and ready .

Dry firewood , check .

'Shine , Bourbon , some Rum for the 'ol lady , we're good to go :hmm3grin2orange:

If we get more than 3-4 inches rain here , we're SCREWED . The ground is saturated now . :msp_thumbdn: ( I'm not worried though @ 2000' :D , but a lot of people in the village are concerned after two major floods 1996 and 2006 ).

I hope everyone will be safe and careful,
John

well here we go...i will do about the same as the holloween storm last year...move the pans out of the sugar clean out some gutters get some gas ck on my generator and sharpen a few saws.....we'll see what happens oh and cover the wood pile move some wood into the barn...the list gets longer..

good luck
sap can

Well the saws are almost all running, and chains are sharp. Gas and mix come tomorrow... I've got 2 genies ready, and a third should be ok some time tomorrow afternoon if all goes well. (girlfriend, business partner, and me) (really would prefer to keep the lights on in all 3 places) Parents place in PA is closed up tight, and the genie is good there too, along with a few saws... Their place in NJ is not quite so secure, but most of the big trees are gone there, and the saws are in good shape...

It the giant oaks over my house decide to come down, I just hope they take the front of the house... I need to renovate that section in a big way, and it would be nice if the insurance company would take care of that for me... I'll be sleeping in the garage, or the concrete hotel I'm working in... (at least one saw will be with me at all times)

Dry firewood , check .

'Shine , Bourbon , some Rum for the 'ol lady , we're good to go :hmm3grin2orange:

I hope everyone will be safe and careful,
John

That's a good point. This is hitting later than Irene hit last year, and even though it's not going to be bitter cold, it will be cold enough that some heat will be necessary. No shortage of dry wood for me. :biggrin:

Regarding that other important point, got 2 cases of Sam Adams: one Octoberfest, and one the "Fall Sampler", which is better than last years. :msp_thumbup: And a bottle of French brandy for backup.

i ready for the storm got 3 spare chains for each saw 10 gallons of gas for mix dump truck and chipper are all fueled up with full transfer tank ready for refuleing about to go sharpen the spare set of blades for the chipper.

That's a good point. This is hitting later than Irene hit last year, and even though it's not going to be bitter cold, it will be cold enough that some heat will be necessary. No shortage of dry wood for me. :biggrin:

Regarding that other important point, got 2 cases of Sam Adams: one Octoberfest, and one the "Fall Sampler", which is better than last years. :msp_thumbup: And a bottle of French brandy for backup.

It looks like you've got day one covered , what about day two :msp_confused: :hmm3grin2orange:

Yes , Irene knocked out my juice for 4 days , I burned 40 something gallons of gas , but still lived conveiniently . Ever since NYSEG was bought by the Spaniards , there are only 2 crews to cover the whole county ........ and ...... they started on the other end .

Luckily, up in the hills of Jersey, we don't get much flooding. But we got a ton of good sized oaks and maples - alot of them still damaged from last year. Most of the area was out of power for a week, and I think that's gonna be our worst enemy this time around.

The Good Part - The saws are more than ready. I can hear them screaming from the garage, "LET ME AT 'EM!!!!" haha. Plenty of chains, fuel, and oil. Blower's ready, lawn tractor's ready, all 3 trucks fueled up. Two fresh propane cylinders and a wood stove that's begging for work.

The Bad Part - I tore cartilage in my "good" knee last week climbing out of the Chief hatch inside the howitzer and I'm not walking too well. I go under the knife in 2 weeks. I should be able to at least get on the quad by opening day, but if this storm does any damage, I'm not really gonna be able to do anything to clean it up. :msp_mad:

Wishing everyone good fortune. And hopefully if any trees DO come down on the property, may they land directly on the wood pile!

well i guess i am reddy 600 gallons of diesel 150 gallons of bar and chain oil boat gas up new tires on skid steer ice water bring it on

Luckily, up in the hills of Jersey, we don't get much flooding. But we got a ton of good sized oaks and maples - alot of them still damaged from last year. Most of the area was out of power for a week, and I think that's gonna be our worst enemy this time around.

The Good Part - The saws are more than ready. I can hear them screaming from the garage, "LET ME AT 'EM!!!!" haha. Plenty of chains, fuel, and oil. Blower's ready, lawn tractor's ready, all 3 trucks fueled up. Two fresh propane cylinders and a wood stove that's begging for work.

The Bad Part - I tore cartilage in my "good" knee last week climbing out of the Chief hatch inside the howitzer and I'm not walking too well. I go under the knife in 2 weeks. I should be able to at least get on the quad by opening day, but if this storm does any damage, I'm not really gonna be able to do anything to clean it up. :msp_mad:

Wishing everyone good fortune. And hopefully if any trees DO come down on the property, may they land directly on the wood pile!

Take it easy and *smart* man! You got any buds closeby can work your saws for you if necessary?

Coors Light is on sale for $13.00 / case so I've got plenty of water... Waiting on the rain we may or may not get.

So you got the yellow fizz 'water' covered - so now all you need is some beer...

Take it easy and *smart* man! You got any buds closeby can work your saws for you if necessary?

I got 2 brothers that would usually be my first call, but they live closer to the cost and took on 2 feet of water during Irene. So I'm betting they'll be busy bailing their basements for a good week or so. They'll get to me when they can.

Other than that, the only buddy I trust with my saws lives 2 hours west in Pennsy.

Fingers crossed.

If you are planning on doing some storm cleanup, think about semi-chisel chain - it holds up better in the dirty wood and when (not 'if') you hit unexpected stuff. Have several extra loops and a way to sharpen without a 110V grinder (files, 12V grinder, etc.) unless you have a generator.

The comments on extra bar oil are good - it can get scarce quick. Also good to have the small repair/maintenance parts (sprockets, drums, 'e-clips, spark plugs, bar nuts, etc.), an extra bar or two, and a few basic tools. These are basic things that you will probably need eventually, anyway, and can shut you down if you can't get them. They may be gone from your dealer's shelves for a week or 2, and may be week away by mail order.

If you have not done storm clean up work before search some of threads here on A.S. and on reputable sites (STIHL, OSHA, etc.). Tangled trees are often under extreme tension and bent over trees can stand back up with surprising speed and force.

Take good care of yourself. Don't work alone. Get rest. Bring food and water. Have a car charger for your cell phone in case you need to call for help. 2-way radios (CB or Ham) work when the phone lines are down. Not a time to scrimp on PPE (the news coverage always shows a guy with cut-offs and a Wild Thing cleaning up).

Assume power lines are live, unless you can see 2 ends or the power guy tells you personally that you are OK. People sometimes hook up generators creatively and back-feed these.

Preparing your home is a whole 'nother thread.

Philbert

I got 2 brothers that would usually be my first call, but they live closer to the cost and took on 2 feet of water during Irene. So I'm betting they'll be busy bailing their basements for a good week or so. They'll get to me when they can.

Other than that, the only buddy I trust with my saws lives 2 hours west in Pennsy.

Fingers crossed.

Im about 35 mins from rockaway if that helps :D

Awesome. Vernon is where I used to go skiing before I destroyed my knees! :(

We'll stay vocal on here as $hit hits the fan. Hopefully you don't get banged too bad either.

If you are planning on doing some storm cleanup, think about semi-chisel chain - it holds up better in the dirty wood and when (not 'if') you hit unexpected stuff. Have several extra loops and a way to sharpen without a 110V grinder (files, 12V grinder, etc.) unless you have a generator.

The comments on extra bar oil are good - it can get scarce quick. Also good to have the small repair/maintenance parts (sprockets, drums, 'e-clips, spark plugs, bar nuts, etc.), an extra bar or two, and a few basic tools. These are basic things that you will probably need eventually, anyway, and can shut you down if you can't get them. They may be gone from your dealer's shelves for a week or 2, and may be week away by mail order.

If you have not done storm clean up work before search some of threads here on A.S. and on reputable sites (STIHL, OSHA, etc.). Tangled trees are often under extreme tension and bent over trees can stand back up with surprising speed and force.

Take good care of yourself. Don't work alone. Get rest. Bring food and water. Have a car charger for your cell phone in case you need to call for help. 2-way radios (CB or Ham) work when the phone lines are down. Not a time to scrimp on PPE (the news coverage always shows a guy with cut-offs and a Wild Thing cleaning up).

Assume power lines are live, unless you can see 2 ends or the power guy tells you personally that you are OK. People sometimes hook up generators creatively and back-feed these.

Preparing your home is a whole 'nother thread.

Philbert

i always assume lines are hot, i don't care i god himself tells me it's dead...

i'm glad that it's all calm here, i got the pager and i don't want to have to listen to some house wife telling me that "we where just out there two months ago" and the generator wont start...
if someone needs a generator i got one or two:jester: if it gets bad i can wheel out the 200kw...

i always assume lines are hot, i don't care i god himself tells me it's dead...

i'm glad that it's all calm here, i got the pager and i don't want to have to listen to some house wife telling me that "we where just out there two months ago" and the generator wont start...
if someone needs a generator i got one or two:jester: if it gets bad i can wheel out the 200kw...

Friend of mine works at what used to be Onan - Cummins Power Generation now, down in the cities. He absolutely LOVES big storms, more overtime for him. He doesn't work on the homeowner stuff much, mostly the big mobile units.

i feel for you guys on the east coast, just sittin here reading your posts about preparing for the worst as the rain pounds off my roof from the front that's also coming your way as well as sandy, i've always lived in a state of readiness, woodburner and two l.p. ventless heaters always on the ready, three generators, countless saws, at least 20 gallons of water, back up food, "other" beverages, camp style stove tops, dutch oven, candles and oil lamps, batterys and flashlights, and extra fuel, never hurts to have all of these things at the ready, good luck to all that will be affected;)

Last edited:
It looks like you've got day one covered , what about day two :msp_confused: :hmm3grin2orange:

Yes , Irene knocked out my juice for 4 days , I burned 40 something gallons of gas , but still lived conveiniently . Ever since NYSEG was bought by the Spaniards , there are only 2 crews to cover the whole county ........ and ...... they started on the other end .

It was 10 days for me. They had crews from all over the country, but things were really tore up around here.

Most of that wind damage occured after the storm had for the most part gone through. All of that wind was on the backside of the storm and came from a different direction than when it was raining. With this one hitting below us and moving to the northwest, we shouldn't get that second dose like the last time. I hope. :dizzy:

With this one hitting below us and moving to the northwest, we shouldn't get that second dose like the last time. I hope. :dizzy:

Yeah you guys got it bad last time. I think it's our turn for the second dose this time around.

Back