North East Storm Prep Thread...Lets get one goin'

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
started to gas the Stihl 440 up today to have it ready ,but i figured the ethanol gas would be bad by monday when the storm hits.

stihl's markup is nothing new...tell me why a RB-100 zama kit from stihl is $29 and costs $6 from Zama...oh and all cross references somehow don't include stihl...just gotta be patient and look thru the zama kits. but hey $3 and your up and running...eh S**T happens then you move on. if i had to pay $100 for a key and had no other options(like making one)...i'd be paying for a key. Lets just hope that key you bought was for nothing and we all don't have to slogg around in the marsh that will be the northeast for 3 days cutting.

anybody have any suggestions for 12v sharpeners incase my 120V takes a dump. thinking about sears in the morning to pick up some files and maybe spare sharpener. does depot or lowes even sell 12v sharpeners?

Last edited:
I pulled out the generator this morning, and ran it for awhile. I bought 35 gallons of gas and treated it with PRI-G. It'll be good for a bit.

I made up some fresh mix, but the mixmizer syringe thing is probably going to be replaced. The multiple scales, and having to pull up oil 4 times for a gallon makes it easy to mismeasure the oil in the mix. Yeah, I know I should be paying better attention, but it's pretty easy to make errors. I may have to get a measuring cup of sorts since I only make up 1 gallon batches.

I tried out the Sooteater that I bought to do the chimney with. It works great. The chimney is clean as a whistle now, and no getting on the roof.

We did our grocery shopping and picked up a few things at walmart tonight.

I think we're good for a bit.

Well, it's kinda rare for us to get a major snowstorm before the leaves have completely fallen off the trees.

With up to 2' of heavy, wet snow possible, that would bring a whole bunch of trees down along with all the power lines.

Really, even half a foot of wet snow would do some major damage this time of year. In the dead of winter however, we really don't start paying any attention to snow until we have to start measuring it by the foot...

My saws have been in heavy use all year, and are always at the ready. But I did my weekly sharpening, flipped some bars, and fueled and oiled everything. I also got "woodzilla" configured to kick some butt:

attachment.php

View attachment 259562

That's a one-man tree wrecking crew. I can skid, load, and chip. Got her fueled up and in my garage all set to go (mainly because my shed is back near the woods and that's a risky parking spot in a big storm).

I think the rain is going to be the worst part for us. They are saying 5-10", which is nuts, and it will go for about 3 days. If the wind is still around on days 2-3, then I expect we'll see some trees coming down big time.

Here's my big worry -- this is the 2nd floor deck of our new house being built.

attachment.php

View attachment 259568

Parts are still open to the first floor below. If we get 5-10" of rain, I'll be working hard to get everything dried back out. I did cut several door sills on the first floor to keep water from getting trapped, drilled some holes in low spots of the floor (damp from overnight rain) to drain into the crawl space, and setup some chutes to hopefully direct pooling water off the first floor and away from the foundation. I still have to head up to the new property tomorrow and take the temporary silt fencing out of the ditches and culverts, since they will need to operate at capacity.

anybody have any suggestions for 12v sharpeners incase my 120V takes a dump. thinking about sears in the morning to pick up some files and maybe spare sharpener. does depot or lowes even sell 12v sharpeners?

What about a small inverter you can have in your vehicle that plugs in the cig lighter to power your 120v sharpener?

. . . anybody have any suggestions for 12v sharpeners incase my 120V takes a dump.

I have seen the Oregon 12V 'Sure Sharp', and some similar looking devices, at a number of hardware, farm, and home center types stores that sell chainsaws. They use a Dremel type bit - some are smooth mandrel and some have threaded mandrels.

They are not my first choice for sharpening, but could help you get a rocked chain up and running again.

Philbert

During last years September snow storm, I lived in Central CT. My road lost power for 11 days.

Few things I learned from this experience.

Have extra candles, water, and flashlights, as well as a way to charge your cell phone.

I will never own a house without a woodstove, when the power went out we at least knew that we would be warm.

When you don't have electricity take the time to do other things, like reading a good book, seeing your friends, and so on. It was nice to have the power go back on, I learned a lot about what is good and bad about all these gadgets that consume both electricity and our time.

SANDY prep

We live on the South shore of Long Island,about 60 miles East on NYC,Islip area,so we are going to get hit,its just a matter of how hard.The neighbor has 2 generators set up,he lives between my BIL and myself,and runs lines to both of us, and,I keep all his saws,blowers etc up and running.
The 7300,359,Ms180,Cs3000 and DCS520I, are all tested and running well,just used them helping a friends buddy, bringing in his firewood,after he had a heart issue.2 gallons of mix(extra 6 in the boat if I need it)2 gals B&C oil,filled the Durango and the van,made a TON of ice blocks,bought some groceries and water,beer run today,Jameson on hand for pain medication, at the end of the day,all is as ready as can be.
The only fly in the ointment so far is, my go to saw,346XP is idling to high,and I cannot figure out why!Backed out the idle screw,slowed but not enough,changed the clutch,same issue.Checked the hi idle linkage,working fine,its got me stumped!
Any other Long Islanders near by?Anyone a Richard Shindell fan,google him and check out a song called "Waiting for the storm"
RR

Well, it's kinda rare for us to get a major snowstorm before the leaves have completely fallen off the trees.

With up to 2' of heavy, wet snow possible, that would bring a whole bunch of trees down along with all the power lines.

Really, even half a foot of wet snow would do some major damage this time of year. In the dead of winter however, we really don't start paying any attention to snow until we have to start measuring it by the foot...

I gotcha. Relative to snow, I see the point. I'm pretty certain we won't be getting any snow here:msp_wink:

We live on the South shore of Long Island,about 60 miles East on NYC,Islip area,so we are going to get hit,its just a matter of how hard.The neighbor has 2 generators set up,he lives between my BIL and myself,and runs lines to both of us, and,I keep all his saws,blowers etc up and running.
The 7300,359,Ms180,Cs3000 and DCS520I, are all tested and running well,just used them helping a friends buddy, bringing in his firewood,after he had a heart issue.2 gallons of mix(extra 6 in the boat if I need it)2 gals B&C oil,filled the Durango and the van,made a TON of ice blocks,bought some groceries and water,beer run today,Jameson on hand for pain medication, at the end of the day,all is as ready as can be.
The only fly in the ointment so far is, my go to saw,346XP is idling to high,and I cannot figure out why!Backed out the idle screw,slowed but not enough,changed the clutch,same issue.Checked the hi idle linkage,working fine,its got me stumped!
Any other Long Islanders near by?Anyone a Richard Shindell fan,google him and check out a song called "Waiting for the storm"
RR

Air leak?

Don't think so,no racing,just acts like its on high idle!

Some dirt under the metering lever or stuck in the needle, so it won't close? Lets a little extra fuel in so it is always giving itself a little more throttle? Or adjusting screws worn?

After that, don't know. Maybe pull both screws out, some carb spray down in there, reinstall to close enough turns, yank it over a bunch, then try to run it?

Never worked on a 346, can't say really. My 245a poulan had that symptom, I had cleaned the carb once, took the dang thing off, did it again, now it runs smooth, good idle, no chain spinning. Obviously I had some goober in there I missed the first time.

BTW my big echo is now working good. Ain't the fastest saw, but it sure pulls chain and gets the job done!

SANDY prep

Some dirt under the metering lever or stuck in the needle, so it won't close? Lets a little extra fuel in so it is always giving itself a little more throttle? Or adjusting screws worn?

After that, don't know. Maybe pull both screws out, some carb spray down in there, reinstall to close enough turns, yank it over a bunch, then try to run it?

Never worked on a 346, can't say really. My 245a poulan had that symptom, I had cleaned the carb once, took the dang thing off, did it again, now it runs smooth, good idle, no chain spinning. Obviously I had some goober in there I missed the first time.

BTW my big echo is now working good. Ain't the fastest saw, but it sure pulls chain and gets the job done!
Ran a fresh tank oh Hi test mix and some carb cleaner through it,reset the linkage,now its idling ok!go figure.
Good deal on that Echo,was that an CS8000??
RR

Hurricane Preparedness

As ready as I'll ever be I guess. Got all of the things already mentioned above. Now just waiting it out. ;)

The wind is really moving now. The whole street is covered in leaves - can't even see asphalt any more.

Latest posts

Back