Northstar 37 or Iron & Oak 26 or 30 Splitter????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTwoodnutt

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi Group,

I'm planing on buying a splitter by the end of the month. :msp_w00t::map_roll eyes::clap:

I split up wards of 20 cord a year, both for my own use, and to sell.
I'm a 'young/in shape' 60 year old, but want a machine that'll last for as long as I will....:msp_unsure::msp_ohmy: (Hmmmm)?
I'm pretty much sold on the Northstar 37 ton machine, from Northern.
(I like that 'auto-idle down feature'...).

(I've PM'd a couple of guys that own this machine for their opinions...).

'Been also looking at the Iron & Oak 26 and 30 ton machines. (Less tonnage/splitting force, but built like a freakin' Battleship )!
I WANT Honda power, and that 270 GX 270 cc, 8 HP engine sounds like 'The Bomb'.
I want/ need horizontal/vertical also.

Give me your various opinions on these machines, please!
What do you like or not like about each....:confused:

#2 - Does anyone know anything about The 'New River Firewood' Company's Splitter with 42 ton, 13 HP LIFAN (?) ENGINE, for $2,000-?
(I've never heard of LI FAN engines. Supposedly this engine is sold at Home Depot. I looked 'em up, Chinese manufactured, but supposedly the largest maker/exporter of small engines on Earth)?
- - -Opinion's please!

#3 - Also, does anybody run their splitters with Synthetic Hydro Fluid?
A hydraulic mechanic mentioned to me that the Synthetic will give better Cold weather operation?
Any opinions on that???

Thanks, and a Happy Labor Day to all!
...(No "wood-work" out there on Monday now boys, huh!) :msp_tongue:

Thanks,

CTwoodnutt, New Fairfield/Western Connecticut :rock:

Can't give an opinion on the Northstart, never even seen one in person. However, I can speak with experience on the I&O's. They are a great splitter and will do everything you need for your requirements. You would have no regrets.

All I can tell you is that my Northstar has held up it is about 15 years old it came with a junk Tecumpseh now sports a Honda 13 hp and that honda motor is very reliable. Keep in mind most stuff is made in China I would ask about the motor in particular!

Lifan is made in China

Last edited:
When comparing tonnage ratings of different brand splitters beware they are usually inflated. Both the Northstar 37 ton and the Iron and Oak 30 ton splitters use a 5" bore cylinder, which at 3000psi which is the max. rating of most of the hydraulic components, will produce 29.4 tons.

I have an iron and oak 34 ton with the 8 horse honda. I've had it about 10 years I'm guessing. It has split many, many, many cords of hedge, locust, oak and red elm. I have NEVER had a piece of wood in it, that it wouldn't split. In fact, the local dealer has a deal if you can bring him a piece of would that any of the Iron and Oak splitters wont split, he'll give you $300. I have never had any problems with my splitter. Some of the best money I ever spent!!

Ive got the 30 ton Northstar from Northern Tool and I really like it. Ive split up to 52" white oak crotch.They have been sending out discount cards lately and they have a one day Fall sale every year for 10% off(usually Sept). The 37 ton splitter is built similiar to the 30 ton, the splitter wedge is unique and holds the log in place if it slides a little. Also, the splitters need the wheel fenders if you haul through wet or muddy areas- the mud use to get all over the engine before I added the fenders. And I noticed the new models dont have the external filter at the bottom of hydraulic tank-I would add a filter kit to the bottom of tank. One more thing- the four splitter works well on 12=14" logs only-I have used mine maybe 2=3 times over 5 years. The auto idle feature is ok= I dont use mine and set the splitter at half throttle and it will run almost 4 hours splitting at a steady pace. Good luck with your splitter decision!

Ive got the 30 ton Northstar from Northern Tool..".They have been sending out discount cards lately and they have a one day Fall sale every year for 10% off(usually Sept)"...

Does anyone know WHEN Northern holds this sale? :confused:

How do I get one of these "Discount Card"? :msp_w00t:

Thanks!

CTwoodnutt :rock:

Does anyone know WHEN Northern holds this sale? :confused:

How do I get one of these "Discount Card"? :msp_w00t:

Thanks!

CTwoodnutt :rock:

I dont know when they have their sales but if they ever have a buy one get one free let me know and I can take the extra one off your hands. All I got now is a 8lb maul and a rusty run that runs of the tractors hydraulics. It needs rebuilding but I could have a new one almost payed for by the time I rebuilt it to my specs.

You mean 20 cords (4' x 4' x 8' = 128 cu.ft.) and not what some call "face cords" (one row of 4' x 8'), right?

If it's 20 bona fide cords per year, I'd look toward something like an I&O fast cycle model

This is our 4th season with our Northstar 37 ton. I love it. For the money you can't go wrong. We split for two homes mine and my mother in law's we have averaged about 18 cords a season. The four way wedge attachment is a real boat anchor, but using the stock wedge, it hasn't let us down on any thing we have put to it, oak, elm, hickory, ash, maple, cherry, beech. I wish the cycle time was a bit fast, but I can't complain over all. The nine horse Honda is the bomb!!

I never heard of the discount card, although there may be such an animal. I do know they go on sale 2 times a year. Call them and ask. It can't hurt. I also have the 37 ton Northern, no regrets. I have never used an I&O, so I won't comment on them.

The discount cards I mentioned were mailed to our company this Summer(each month) but we havent gotten any this month-maybe because of the Fall Sale. If all else fails-ask for the Mgr and discuss the discount or free assembly ($100.00). I bought mine during the Fall Sale and wanted a splitter unassembled-they didnt have one unassembled and the mgr waived the fee. I did go through the splitter and tighten and double check the assembly-found a few things not tightened and Ill gaurantee you the axles bearing need to be grease packed. Someone mentioned components made in China- and yes most are made in China and they come with a Honda engine made in China too- all Hondas are made in China now. Hope this helps.

Back