Not impressed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't get me wrong.... I'm not upset enough to get rid of it. Even babying the bearing, it kept 4 of us busy all morning. If what turned out to be a $15 bearing is the majority of the maintenance I have to perform on this for the output it gives... Ill take it. Its just one of those things where its hard to believe a $15 bearing can bring everything to a halt!

I'm sure its just a matter of coincidences aligning at the right time that mine went so soon. I hear of others that get years out of the little bearing. Others still have use the machine with the bearing seized up.

The problem with the cam follower bearing is there is a hole (in the center where the bolt goes through). This in an automotive engine allows oil to get in the bearing and lube it, but in our application it allows moisture and dirt to enter the bearing. Once it starts to lock up you can get it free with a spray lube, bit the damage is already usually done. It has flat spotted one side and will start to lock up more often.

On mine, I replaced the small one on the rack with 2-sealed roller bearing that when put together are the same width as the original cam follower bearing. I also don't need to keep lubing the beam as I used to anymore either.

If I get up to my woodyard today, I will snap a picture of the roller bearings for you.

As for keeping the rack extended, if you pull it out and then lift the handle it will stay out on its own.

I'm like Sandhill and mine will also retract sometimes when I drive a wedge under the rack. All I do now is pull it out and put a large C-clamp over the rack and clamp it to the wedge at full extension.

The problem with the cam follower bearing is there is a hole (in the center where the bolt goes through). This in an automotive engine allows oil to get in the bearing and lube it, but in our application it allows moisture and dirt to enter the bearing. Once it starts to lock up you can get it free with a spray lube, bit the damage is already usually done. It has flat spotted one side and will start to lock up more often.

On mine, I replaced the small one on the rack with 2-sealed roller bearing that when put together are the same width as the original cam follower bearing. I also don't need to keep lubing the beam as I used to anymore either.

If I get up to my woodyard today, I will snap a picture of the roller bearings for you.

I've been looking at roller bearings and I can find the right inner and outer diameter but I can't find ones that are the right width to double them up.

Sent from a field

I've been looking at roller bearings and I can find the right inner and outer diameter but I can't find ones that are the right width to double them up.

Sent from a field

Yeah, I have a good bearing guy here locally and just brought the original cam follower in. He went in the back room with the cam follower bearing and came back with an almost perfect match.

I will see if there is part numbers on them and get you the info. Bonus was both together cost less than one cam follower!

I also replaced one on the under side of the rack with a sealed roller bearing (single narrower one) and so far it is holding up.

I got the idea from the Dr copy of the SS. It has just one larger sealed bearing that runs on top of the rack. I was going to cut the top out of the cam follower holder to fit one larger one, but ended up trying this first.

I typically use my SS in the same spot, splitting into the conveyor. I'm set up so the wedge end of the machine is a touch higher, which aides the spring retract somewhat. Now that I've added wheels to the wedge end I'll have to find something, a 2" x 12" crossways or something, to roll up on. Elevating it also helps keep the crap off the beam and table. It vibrates off on its own.

I'm right at 12.5 hours.

Boy that's hard to believe it failed that fast. I have replaced mine, but I didn't realize that the through bolt had a hole in it until after it failed. I lube mine up with WD-40 about every 1 hour now and I'm sure I have way over 100 hr's on this one. Keep us posted and I'd really like to see the double one that dirtyjeep came with and how he made the holder.

WD-40 isn't really a very good lube. Gets moisture out pretty good.

Trouble is though that a good lube might attract more dirt. I spray my beam with graphite once in a while, seems to keep it going smoothly.

Well, forgot to bring my wrenches up to take the bolt off so I could get a part number. Here is the pictures though

IMG_1572.JPG

IMG_1571.JPG

As you can see the beam is torn up from the failed cam follower bearings locking up. Have not had a single problem since switching to the double roller bearing. Counted the crates today and have done 16cords and not sprayed the beam once. Also it is returning good with just one spring as the second one broke and I have yet to fix that.

Attachments

• IMG_1570.JPG
    IMG_1570.JPG
    925.2 KB · Views: 44
Sorry guys, hydro splitters seems pretty trouble free compared to this.

How many cords a year you do with your Speeco? So far this year my SS has had over 20cords put though it and will get anothe 20-30cords before the summer is over! Besides the return spring and that one bearing I haven't had any other problems.

Still worth the effort, I beat my model J for 2 years before I had to replace, it was a rental unit I bought used and made in 86' .

Mighty Mouse Logging LLC

But , if the new bearing gives me any grief , a trip with bearings in hand to one of my bearing guys will happen , thanks for the hack mijdirtyjeep .

Well, forgot to bring my wrenches up to take the bolt off so I could get a part number. Here is the pictures though

View attachment 559504

View attachment 559505

As you can see the beam is torn up from the failed cam follower bearings locking up. Have not had a single problem since switching to the double roller bearing. Counted the crates today and have done 16cords and not sprayed the beam once. Also it is returning good with just one spring as the second one broke and I have yet to fix that.

So is that the factory bracket and bolt? You just replaced the single with 2 thin bearings?

Sorry guys, hydro splitters seems pretty trouble free compared to this.

Won't start after sitting out in the winter without help. Can't move them around without a truck or utility vehicle easily. Burn 2 or 3 times the fuel per cord. I can go on, this is just my observation since my purchase. I will concede that there are pieces and sizes of logs that I don't take/use anymore, or set aside for the outdoor wood burner, but I'm getting older and don't want to #$%^&* with that type of wood either.

PB Blaster makes some good silicone and Teflon based lubricants you may want to try over WD-40 or, there is a very good firearm lube I use called CLP Breakfree. Wonder if those might give you better performance. Interesting that 1 little bearing is that poorly designed.

Back