Not much oil on chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KMatt

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Few weeks ago a coworker dropped a tree on my 346xp. Busted the case where av spring mounts with the chain catch. Thought it was junk, but today got it redneck fixed. Wouldn’t rely on it as a primary but it can be a backup saw. The clutch cover also has a crack and may be slightly bent but doesn’t seem to affect anything and the break works fine.

But, now I’m not getting much oil on the chain. Not sure if the problem stems from the tree strike or not. Seems like I remember it not oiling well the day before it got broken, but not positive about that.

What’s weird is oil is flowing just fine out of the oil port. Checked it with everything off the power head and saw running. Even put a bar with no chain or cover on and oil flowed fine into the bar groove. Some oil is getting on the chain but in use more oil is dripping out of the clutch cover. Oiler adjustment screw is backed all the way out, like I’ve had it for years. Tried two different bars 18” and 20”. Oil holes are clear and chain groove clean. I’m fairly certain the oil pump is just fine.

It’s seems like when I put the clutch cover on and tighten the nuts the bar must be slightly moving and the oil hole getting off the oil port. I can’t make sense of what has to be a simple problem. What gives? Ideas??

Thanks, Matt.

It sounds like you already have a good idea what could be going on. Likely the cover isn't sitting properly, maybe it's not flush. Check the stud holes in cover, and the bar studs themselves. Make sure the cover is sitting nice square and flush. Depending on the severity of hit, maybe the case is damage more than you initially thought.

Skip the cover altogether and use washers to replace the cover, try it with just the bar and see if it's tweaked a bit. It should be quite obvious if it's not sealing bolted up like that. I'm not recommending you try it with a chain on as that would be very dangerous and the safety police wouldn't like that :surprised3:.
Let us know what you find.
Good luck with it.

Skip the cover altogether and use washers to replace the cover, try it with just the bar and see if it's tweaked a bit. It should be quite obvious if it's not sealing bolted up like that. I'm not recommending you try it with a chain on as that would be very dangerous and the safety police wouldn't like that :surprised3:.
Let us know what you find.
Good luck with it.

Ran it with the bar on with no cover. Oil is running around the back plate. Guessing it’s a cracked hose that works until it has some back pressure(tiny oil hole). Will take the clutch off and have a look see when the 3 year old is in bed.

Back