Not running - Huskee 22 Ton Logsplitter help!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could it be possible that the ignition coil/armature isn’t spaced correctly? Perhaps I’ve got it too far from the flywheel magnet?

I just reread your first post, you did mention a broken flywheel, even stated you bought a new one?
Yep. I made a mistake. Sorry! It was the thing that turns the flywheel. (The thing with the cord). I don’t know what the name of that is.

Could it be possible that the ignition coil/armature isn’t spaced correctly? Perhaps I’ve got it too far from the flywheel magnet?
Use a business card as a guage, line the magnets up place the card between the coil and magnets, loosen up the coil mounting screws till the magnets attract to the fw, tighten the screws, remove the card by turning the flywheel.

Do you have the Briggs 276781 SERVICE manual for that engine??????

If not I can give you info so as to download a free one. (it has good troubleshooting section and Briggs suggested tips is why I ask)

Just curious:
I see in your posts where you said the flywheel broke and you replaced, then later you said it did not break???
What happened here????

I bought a used Huskee 20 ton splitter 25 years ago. Three or four years ago the engine gave up. (It split between 10 and 40 cord of wood a year). I went to Harbor Freight and bought a Predator engine to replace it with. So far it hasn't missed a beat. But I haven't split over 18 cord a year since I got it. One of the best $100 investments I made.

I bought a used Huskee 20 ton splitter 25 years ago. Three or four years ago the engine gave up. (It split between 10 and 40 cord of wood a year). I went to Harbor Freight and bought a Predator engine to replace it with. So far it hasn't missed a beat. But I haven't split over 18 cord a year since I got it. One of the best $100 investments I made.
Is there a vertical shaft (believe that's what her Briggs is) Predator? Or did you have to reconfigure for a horizontal?

Is there a vertical shaft (believe that's what her Briggs is) Predator? Or did you have to reconfigure for a horizontal?
Mine is horizontal, that's how I bought it. Not sure if they sell a vertical.
The good thing about the Predator is it's a Chinese knock off of the Honda so if I need parts they should be easy to find.

Mine is horizontal, that's how I bought it. Not sure if they sell a vertical.
The good thing about the Predator is it's a Chinese knock off of the Honda so if I need parts they should be easy to find.
Thanks. I see the 6.5 HP predator on sale for ~$100 frequently. Also have seen several people praise them as pretty good engines. Might be an option for @newcountrygirl if she can utilize a horizontal shaft engine.

Hope she gets it fixed or buys an engine of craigslist instead of supporting China.
@newcountrygirl let me know if you get to the point of wanting to replace the engine, and I will send you links of engines on Craigslist out your way(I'm closer to GR). There are a few members on your side of the state also, just not sure of their ability to help out right now.

Do you have the Briggs 276781 SERVICE manual for that engine??????

If not I can give you info so as to download a free one. (it has good troubleshooting section and Briggs suggested tips is why I ask)

Just curious:
I see in your posts where you said the flywheel broke and you replaced, then later you said it did not break???
What happened here????
I was confused with the verbiage. It was the starter recoil which broke. And no, I do not have that service manual. Thank you!

Thanks. I see the 6.5 HP predator on sale for ~$100 frequently. Also have seen several people praise them as pretty good engines. Might be an option for @newcountrygirl if she can utilize a horizontal shaft engine.
It’s a vertical shaft on the logsplitter (I DO have a woodchipper with a horizontal shaft-also having issues!) 🤦‍♀️

It’s a vertical shaft on the logsplitter (I DO have a woodchipper with a horizontal shaft-also having issues!) 🤦‍♀️
It's possible to convert but would take some work and maybe some fabrication. If you can't get yours sorted out Chipper's suggestion of getting a used one may be the better suggestion (even if you have to recover it from something like a pressure washer.

Back