notching over targets

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electrictrimmer

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was wondering when your notching over a house or shed and you dont want the notch wood to hit any targets whats the best way to approach this situation. I was thinking get all the way to the end then finish it with a hand saw. Hows it done boys?

saw

Handsaw is simple way. If its a huge notch piece. Use a plastic wedge to hold in place. String attached to wedge for hands free.

Its something that I usually don't put a whole lot into, if I can't steer it away with the tip of the bar I will move to a place where I can cut a notch and let it go. Certainly I can't be expected to be having to have that dam handsaw to lug around. What the heck do you plan to do with that?!

Also if you have good control and are stable then you should be in the righ position to control the wedge and like I said I think the whole thing can be avoided by finding the right position to cut and let the wedge fall maybe with some help from the bar tip. If its big one then I don't know how well the handsaw will work but it not like I haven't been through this before and once again: find another spot to cut from, even a few inches.

Last edited:
I've never done it but if i had to I might try a screw eyelet and a nylon runner/sling. Make the lower cut of your wedge then screw the eyelet into the area where the finished wedge would be, girth hitch the runner into the eyelet and attach the other end to an appropriate anchor (a tool loop on your harness, a nearby branch or if its too big for that, your rigging line.) Then simply make your top cut to finish your wedge and watch it swing clear. Seems like it would work in theory at least and an eyelet and a tool to screw it in with wouldn't be as bad as bringing a handsaw up.

either flick it out of the way with the bar or once cut rev saw and hit it with the top of the bar....whoosh, away she goes.

If you can't take Rope's suggestion (almost always a good idea), then figure out a way to make the wedge-notch so that it doesn't fall out when cut.

If control of the wedge is that critical, I think I would go for the screw-eye and nylon sling method. ...probably attached to a speedline so I didn't have to keep playing with the little stuff.

Canna recall a situation needing this. Tis a wee small fiddly bit, can do nay harm let it fall. If its a big notch should be easy to cut as Rope says ready to snap it out by hand n lob it at your groundie so he wakes up.
I have used Treemandans, run it off the end of the bar trick but this does not work consistently.
Or the rifle butt it out with the saw handle, pops it loose n away.

You blokes would double cut below hold n snap out n drop man sized log sections when dismantling over a target?

Latest posts

Back