Nothern Tool cant hook

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got this model: Northern Timberjack. I haven't used it much, but it's replacing a cheap 2 piece metal pipe one I picked up at Menards or Fleet Farm, and was disappointed in. (Read bent the snot out of it the first time I tried to move some big stuff.)

Tried it out on some about 10' x 24" box elder logs laying around, digs in nicely (fairly sharp round cone tip on this one vs blunt flat stock tip on the old one), and the biggie boy wood handle holds up much better. Timberjack stand pops off with a quick release pin that will probably get lost and replaced with a 3/8" bolt before long.

Only problem I saw was that handle quality varied, I checked out 3 or 4 of them in the store before I found one I was happy with. (Might just be picky though, mostly minor things that would have sanded out - slivers etc.)

We shall see how it holds up once I start trying to bust loose frozen logs this winter.

Steve

To your original question, it looks like the same hook end as mine, and it seemed well made. I'd just rather not go down the metal handle route again (I realize the one you're looking at is aluminum, and probably a lot stronger than what I had, but if the handle got ran over, it would likely kink and be useless, where wood would stand a better chance.)

Miller1

The one you posted might be alright for the lil-runty sports, but read this review....

Overall Rating: 1 out of 5 1 / 5
Impressive looking but weak., February 4, 2008
By BeenThereDoneThat from Georgia mountain farm (read all my reviews) (read all my reviews)

"Got the cant hook last week to maneuver logs on my home sawmill. I was impressed by the 2' diameter, well cushioned, nicely painted aluminum handle and set out to use it right away. I got my chainsaw stuck in a pine tree I had felled and used the cant hook to roll the 12' long, 20" diameter log to free up the saw. I set the hook in the log and proceeded to pull on the end of the handle. The log moved, but the thick aluminum handle bent in the process. Northern Tool is getting this one back. I hope I have better luck with the other cant hook I ordered as a replacement. It has a hickory handle and has some good reviews."

What is your level of technical expertise?: Home Handyman
Was this review helpful to you? Yes No (Report Inappropriate Review)

I would just hate to toss that thing in the swamp.

Miller1

The one you posted might be alright for the lil-runty sports, but read this review....

I would just hate to toss that thing in the swamp.
It's been my expierence that when buying from Northern tool too beware!
sure they have deals....but you'll most certainly get what you pay for!

I have just heard so much about logrite and there aluminum handles i thought that was the best way to go, are you saying a wood handle is better?

Yeah, wood handle is better. If you break it or run over it (as some do), you can make another one - in the field. Got 3' and a 4' - need a 5' for the big stuff - guess I'll have to make one - anyway, get a long handle.

unclemoustache: To set the hook, I use a small axe I carry on my belt for falling wedges, etc.

Log jacks are a waste - there are better ways.

For a cheaper model form Northern tool, there is a Fiberglass handle one for $44.99 on sale.

My friend just got one and it is VERY sturdy and solid. For the occasional user this is a awesome buy. I was skeptical about the fiberglass handle, but it is very thick and does not flex at all.

I'm going to order one soon myself.

On thier site look under Sale items $20-50

Northern Industrial Timberjack with Fiberglass Handle — 4Ft.L
Item# 119031

been several reports of northern logrite copy bending... been really happy with my logrite... no bending so far

got both cant hook and peavy ends ... getting along better with pointed peavy.

For a cheaper model form Northern tool, there is a Fiberglass handle one for $44.99 on sale.

My friend just got one and it is VERY sturdy and solid. For the occasional user this is a awesome buy. I was skeptical about the fiberglass handle, but it is very thick and does not flex at all.

I'm going to order one soon myself.

On thier site look under Sale items $20-50

Northern Industrial Timberjack with Fiberglass Handle — 4Ft.L
Item# 119031

:agree2:

I did the same thing and got the Northern Tool fiberglass handle model. I had a metal one from Tractor supply that was OK for two weeks until the metal ripped apart. Nobody carried a wooden handled model locally, so I had to order online. I wanted to buy one from a sponsor such as Baileys, but I decided that the discounted price on the Northern Tool fiberglass model was worth taking the chance, especially since I've been satisfied with other fiberglass handled tools.

I'll say that I'm more than the occasional user and I've used it extensively for the past 10 months, including a full cutting season this past fall & winter, and have been very pleased. It is a lot thicker and more rugged than it looks in the picture. The only negative is the color; it's blends in a little too much with nature, but that's nothing a band or two of fluorescent paint can't solve.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200357988_200357988

Buy the Northern Tool Timber Jack

I got the Northern Tool Timber Jack 2 years ago and love it. Of course it is made in China but it has a nice thick wood handle. Think I paid about $50 for it 2 years ago.

Does a good job getting the log off the ground when you are blocking it up.

Gary

I got the Northern Tool Timber Jack 2 years ago and love it. Of course it is made in China but it has a nice thick wood handle. Think I paid about $50 for it 2 years ago.

Does a good job getting the log off the ground when you are blocking it up.

Gary

The Northern Tool Timber Jack is a nice, well made tool. But, I log on a mountain where a log jack was never stable. So, IMHO, I had work-up a simpler way. Limb the stem - buck 3/4 through - roll over - finish bucking. A lot faster and safer. However, the Northern Tool Timber Jack works great for lifting the back wheels of my ATV to install chains.

I have just heard so much about logrite and there aluminum handles i thought that was the best way to go, are you saying a wood handle is better?

Let's put this way. I have a timber jack with a 4 1/2 ft handle on it. I can toss my entire 200# into the thing and there is no sign of it complaining. It probably is heavier than aluminum, but I think stronger.

Let's put this way. I have a timber jack with a 4 1/2 ft handle on it. I can toss my entire 200# into the thing and there is no sign of it complaining. It probably is heavier than aluminum, but I think stronger.

Well that sounds convincing, plus the wood handle ones are cheaper, i looked at the Peavey manufacturing cant hooks and Columbus Mckinnon, any opinions on either of these?

Anybody ever use this cant hook, looks just like a Logrite, should i spend the extra and get a logrite?
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200333229_200333229

Twenty bucks more gets ya a Lifetime warranty on the logrite.... what does the Northern Tool get ya?
Woodmizer sells 'em for $89... for the 48" and $99 for the 60".... and their a preety orange color tooo...:)
3669495182_09cdea6736_b.jpg

Ted

Why not get it from the creator?

http://peaveymfg.com/
I noticed while doing some research on cant hooks that the peavey hooks have a 2 3/8" diameter handle on them, while the one at Bailey's has a 3 1/4" diameter handle. That is substantially larger. They only have them to 4 1/2' though, if that matters for 'ya (I really wanted 5' if possible). Two other companies, Dixie and Nalco appear to have 2 3/8" or 2 1/2" handles.

I personally don't care for the metal handles, although some of them look like decent tools. At this time I'm leaning towards the Bailey's can't hook.

If your after a metal handle style timber jack, check with Metals406, he makes some pretty cool looking ones.

The Northern Tool Timber Jack is a nice, well made tool. But, I log on a mountain where a log jack was never stable. So, IMHO, I had work-up a simpler way. Limb the stem - buck 3/4 through - roll over - finish bucking. A lot faster and safer. However, the Northern Tool Timber Jack works great for lifting the back wheels of my ATV to install chains.

I'm surprised more people don't use this method of bucking firewood. I use it because a log jack (timber jack) doesn't work safely in my terrain. And, it really makes the work easier and go a lot faster than using a log jack.

Comments?

Back