Now this is a big tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B_Turner

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
0382.JPG

My wife just got back from Peru, and here is her in front of one of the big trees she saw.

Last edited:
holy cow that's a big tree!

don't tell me that's normal down there..

Yeah, Yeah, I was insensitive :buttkick: sorry to all the tree huggers here at AS. All 3 of you.:D

So here are some pics of New Zealand's largest tree for comparison: enjoy.

Yeah, Yeah, I was insensitive :buttkick: sorry to all the tree huggers here at AS. All 3 of you.:D

So here are some pics of New Zealand's largest tree for comparison: enjoy.

Cool trees.

Actually when it comes to big old trees, I am a tree hugger and think we should let them be. They are like land whales and seem to have some sort of presence just because of their size and age.

But I have to confess that when I saw my wife's pic my mind immediately wandered to trying to figure out what it would take to harvest it for woodturning blanks. Not that I would really do it, but it would keep a guy busy for a while because of the shape of the lower tree. I'll have to think on it awhile...

Cool trees.

Actually when it comes to big old trees, I am a tree hugger and think we should let them be. They are like land whales and seem to have some sort of presence just because of their size and age.

But I have to confess that when I saw my wife's pic my mind immediately wandered to trying to figure out what it would take to harvest it for woodturning blanks. Not that I would really do it, but it would keep a guy busy for a while because of the shape of the lower tree. I'll have to think on it awhile...

Hi there B_Turner, Big trees are indeed cool and you're right man do they have a presence. When i first saw these trees (there are a few 100+ metres apart) there was no commercial board walks, just a track through the bush. It was designed quite smartly then; you walked through the bush, turned a corner and.....WOW... you felt small. Imposing, man!! Where's my momma...

There's a place for such specimens. These trees are well over 2000yrs old!! And I don't think my little 22" bar would even scratch those monsters!!! I'll count you as "#1 Tree Hugger" :D only two more to find:laugh: Please don't take my comments to :heart: its just tongue and cheek... and there's plenty more...:biggrinbounce2:

I posted the NZ tree for you and others to see also (as I said: a comparison) and if anyone else has any I would like to see their pics too!! The sequoia must be a sight to behold.

So come on guys and gals add to B_Turner's post: pics... pics... pics... please.:popcorn:

Last edited:
Ok, someone requested Sequoia,so I had to fire up the film scanner. Here is one of the Giant variety, with a little human in there for some scale.

Awesome. Is it mature? Age?

I'm getting an itchy trigger finger. Must go to work.

I see a ROAD TRIP in the future!!! Who's with me???

LET'S CUT SOME WOOD!!!!!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ECHO!!!!!!

I see a ROAD TRIP in the future!!! Who's with me???

LET'S CUT SOME WOOD!!!!!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ECHO!!!!!!

Count me in redneck. I'll go warm up the mini mac 110. The 12" bar should get through most of the cambium - then all we have to do is wait for it to die and fall over. May need more than a few 12 packs while we wait. :chainsawguy:

Count me in redneck. I'll go warm up the mini mac 110. The 12" bar should get through most of the cambium - then all we have to do is wait for it to die and fall over. May need more than a few 12 packs while we wait. :chainsawguy:

LMAO!!!!!!!

Back