Nutrition !

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scootermsp

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
We all spend a lot of energy out there bustin our rumps being human wood processors, but remember we don't plug into the wall to recharge and we don't run on gasoline like our equipment. I have not seen any postings about the subject, but to work the way we do its important to eat good food and when I say this I mean very high protein diets. During your wood season try to eat 1 gram of protein per day per pound of your body weight. For example if you weigh 200 pounds, try to eat 200 grams of protein per day. It is especially important to ingest a high protein meal within an hour of finishing your work. If you follow this you will find it easier to work because you will be getting stronger much faster. Without high amounts of protein your muscles cannot properly repair themselves. There is about a 1 hour window following your work that your body's protein uptake is accelerated. The other big factor is hydration. Drink water and/or gatorade from the start of your work. If you feel thirsty you are already behind the curve. I have run 7 marathons so I know that this advice works. I am NOT doing one this Fall because of my wood cutting addiction. I know doing this will help everyone enjoy their work more. Don't forget about maintaining your most important machine........YOUR BODY! :deadhorse:

Good thread, I try to eat good but sometimes not always possible. I eat a lot of protein anyway. we are always eating venison made several differet ways. When working hard in the heat i always try and drink gatorade. Just water does not work for me. I try to mix it up and drink both.

as a climber i recommend a protein shake in the morning and one at the end of the day.

bananas.
water.

and iced coffee with 2 fat pills at break!

and then whatever you want to eat for lunch and dinner.

Last edited:
Good thread, does snuff count?

I run mass eggs, bacon, bread, butter, cheese. I almost run a solid meat protein diet, I eat a lot of meat, mostly venison in all forms. Lots of water/Gatorade is key as you mentioned, drink often and switch it up.

I like a high protein breakfast meat/eggs, fluids all day, high protein supper, that's how I usually do it.

I have found that venison jerky is a good snack when you are working hard, I like it cause it is more or less free, and very easy to make expecially if you have a fan oven.
It is also more concentrated than fresh meat which makes it easy to eat more.
Downside is that it can make you thirsty.

Latest posts

Back