NY loggers???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newguy777

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm from Rochester and I am seeing alot of logs being moved over the last month. A lot are coming from south 390 and also seeing them on the thruway. Just curious where they are going in are area. What mills they could be going too? Is there a way to find a list of local mills? What type of logs they are moving this time of year? Thanks

I also live in Rochester (but work in Naples). This past month has been the prime logging we've had all year. The ground finally froze up nice and solid, and we had relatively little snow pack (until last month that is). Pretty much all the saw logs we sell go to Wagner Hardwoods. Between them and a couple other bigger mills, they soak up most of the logs that the loggers I talk to cut. Generally though, I think a lot of them go south and east of here. Plus there's always the Canadian markets. The last couple jobs we had happened to be primarily hard maple. There was a lot of that being cut because of markets.

My buddy owns a saw mill that I help him with when I can and I'm delivering firewood down there all the time. O y a cant forget snowmobiling! How about you?

My buddy owns a saw mill that I help him with when I can and I'm delivering firewood down there all the time. O y a cant forget snowmobiling! How about you?

What sawmill? The one at the intersection of 64 and 21? The one up on 364? Delivering firewood huh?? So thats why I haven't gotten as many orders!?!?! HAHA JK! What's the name of your company? I also sell firewood. I also Snowmobile. What trails in this area do you hit? Maybe not too much of a stretch of an idea to meet up and ride sometime.

What sawmill? The one at the intersection of 64 and 21? The one up on 364? Delivering firewood huh?? So thats why I haven't gotten as many orders!?!?! HAHA JK! What's the name of your company? I also sell firewood. I also Snowmobile. What trails in this area do you hit? Maybe not too much of a stretch of an idea to meet up and ride sometime.

I did alot of work on the mill, rolling stock on Tliton rd. The fella that owned and ran the mill died awhile ago, but someone is still running the mill. That is the reason I ask. I have a LT40 mill, do not run it much.
Ron

Yap the mill on Tliton rd. is the one. Haven't ben able to spend much time out there lately ben busy plowing. But might make a trip over today. YA Al passed away a year ago and my buddy took it over.

Foreststeward: where do yopu work in Naples? I'm from Cohocton.

The guy I have been working with lately is on Atlanta-Garlinghouse. We do the logging thing as well as firewood and a bit of bandsaw mill work. (I wouldn't be surprised if more than one person here knows him. He's been around for a while).

The guy I have been working with lately is on Atlanta-Garlinghouse. We do the logging thing as well as firewood and a bit of bandsaw mill work. (I wouldn't be surprised if more than one person here knows him. He's been around for a while).

Baker?

over the hill

All the loggers were waiting for the cold weather. Business really picked up after the big freeze.
You guys need to get together. The crews from the Southern tier are going north to cut, the northern guys are going south. You cross paths constantly.

Just think of the transportation costs you could save if you had a more local area.

Yes, I am no logger, but I talk to a lot of them, and the criss-crossing of transportation always had me confused.

Oh yeah, i am in Pike. Wagner has a lot here. Yansick, Allegheny Hardwoods, Weir, The Amish, and many more.

Maple Valley hardwoods may be back, under new ownership.

Yup...Baker. Try not to hold it against me. ha...just kidding. But yea, I've been hanging around there for about a year and a half or so now, mainly until I can get something a little more solid.

Hey Braaap, is that mill your talking about Green Mountain Lumber? If so, you must know my buddy there Nathan...cocky little sucker, ain't he? Sounds like the same history of the place he's been milling. He works for them, but he's been using his own mill.

But yea, this logging scene is getting interesting around here. Just with the influx of loggers and foresters alone has changed the scope of things. Seems to keep things interesting though.

Its been neat to have a thread where we've been able to see all the loggers/tree guys/ firewood guys in the area. Thanx Newguy777. If anyone else sees the thread from the western NY area feel free to say hi and a little about yourself. May become a good networking tool someday! Have a good one everyone.

Latest posts

Back