O.K. Guys...What caused this???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike, I would take a stab and say possibly pre ignition or possibly detonation.Something is heating the outer surface.It appears to be symmetrical so I doubt that it is a carburetor issue.I will say a timing anomaly, Ken

It was scored.
I thought it would clean up, and it probably would, but I have a piston kit and new seals on the way.

Mike

You going to replace the seals since it is apart? They are cheap at a bearing shop. Too bad the piston is scored, or i would clean the top up with emery cloth and reuse it.

You going to replace the seals since it is apart? They are cheap at a bearing shop. Too bad the piston is scored, or i would clean the top up with emery cloth and reuse it.

Heck those little score marks won't hurt it none.
I have reused many without any problem.
This one had a bit too much slop for me.
Yes, I know they are all a bit sloppy but this one was even too bad for me!!!LOL:laugh:

Mike

Could a bad seal cause it?
The P.T.O. side was pretty bad.

Mike

It was scored.
I thought it would clean up, and it probably would, but I have a piston kit and new seals on the way.

Mike

The seal prolly cuased the scoring. The pitting on top was cuased by detonation over a long period of time. New piston & seals, Some good fresh fuel and it shold be fine.

That was not from shrapnel. If it were, it would be all over the piston in random patterns. Was there a lot of carbon build-up in the combustion chamber? If so, it might have caused the squish to be too low and this cratering from the excess heat. Otherwise, poor gas as many others have mentioned.

Last edited:
There was a little more carbon in the cylinder than I like to see but it wasn't nearly as bad as a lot I've seen.
It wasn't even close to the flaking off in chunks that many saws have.
I always run 87 octane pump gas and I've never seen anything like this in any of my saws.
It would be nice to be able to talk to the previous owner to find out what he ran to cause this.

Mike

Latest posts

Back