o no??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
but if you did your work would be so much better than the other hacks then u charge more and still get the job over hacky becuase people actully care what they got to look at.
and your the tree guy if you tell the HO spikes are bad thats why you dont do it they will think, and talk to their friends, till one of their freinds goes "o my tree guy uses spikes, whats your guys number?"

ok i'm done talking about this. you get my points and i get yours, we just disagree. i spiked up a hackberry today to tie in and rapell down to a dead cherry. every time i stabbed the tree it made a screaming sound, also did that while i cut every sucker on the way up with my ms250. :) for good measure i punched it right in the face while the customer went inside to write me a check

ok i'm done talking about this. you get my points and i get yours, we just disagree. i spiked up a hackberry today to tie in and rapell down to a dead cherry. every time i stabbed the tree it made a screaming sound, also did that while i cut every sucker on the way up with my ms250. :) for good measure i punched it right in the face while the customer went inside to write me a check

i heard it sreaming from hear all im say is yes you can compete with the low ballers by setting your self apart from them, yea call them "hacks" in front of the HO, tell them why ur a better service, also if they will spike your trees they probally wont clean up as nice or make correct cuts, the HO dont know if they will or not but they will belive you because your telling them that and your the tree guy and in a couple months you will be just as fast w/o them as u were with them. I was taught right i have never had to spike a tree not to be removed and it dont take me all day to prune a big tree, and ive only been climbing for 5 months or so.

what in Heaven's name is a ms250? Iam going to look that up

but if you did your work would be so much better than the other hacks then u charge more and still get the job over hacky becuase people actully care what they got to look at.
and your the tree guy if you tell the HO spikes are bad thats why you dont do it they will think, and talk to their friends, till one of their freinds goes "o my tree guy uses spikes, whats your guys number?"

Thats what I was saying, thanks Tremergecy- it is not cheap to live in San Diego,Ca., and if you rip people off and try to take advantage of them or don't let them know that you will be spiking their trees (because it is faster ) and don't tell them the damage you will be doing only to make it faster and cheaper (because you don't know), BTW, If you spike trees here, you will soon be hoping some old lady will give you 20 dollars so you can at least get by in life.
Jeff

Started at a new company about a 10 days ago boss was gonna prune little maple tree after we removed 2 cherrys. he asked for his climbing gear so i grabbed his belt and rope set it by the tree. About 5 mins later he goes "hey, wheres my spikes?"...o no, i said,"i thought u said u was going to prune that tree?"
"i am i need my spikes please"

so unforntly i let myself get a job with a hack, he said he spikes just about all prune jobs kinda glad im there now he said he dont like to prune. i told him i loved it after i seen that, hopefully i can save some from the tradgy!!

:givebeer:

Sound like a good shot. Sorry to put you off about it. its funny some don't know... or don't care.

sun dude,

If you're still out there, try this out. Prune spike less for two weeks and get back to us.

I've done quite a bit of work in FLA--learned the ropes in J-action-ville where I worked for Farrens (the biggest tree service in the southeast at the time--and we never prune spiked, even when side trimming pines for line clearance--in fact we had to hide our gaffs beneath the chipper truck seat). I've also climbed in Tallahasse, the Panhandle, Miami, Orlando, Mt. Dora, Lakeland--you get the picture. I lived in Gainesville too. You're not fooling anyone by saying that everyone you know prune spikes or that the HOs don't know any better or that you couldn't make a good living climbing clean. There's plenty of intelligent, affluent HOs who would be receptive to it if you offered. Just think of the college crowd--professors and such--around UF.

If you're only in it for the money, so be it, but in my book you're not a true tree man. A true tree man is a tree care professional, and prune spiking ain't tree care, no matter how you slice it.

Try rope climbing, bro, you'll love it. In fact, take two ropes up with you, you'll doubly love it...

Heard that!!!

:cheers:
sun dude,

If you're still out there, try this out. Prune spike less for two weeks and get back to us.

I've done quite a bit of work in FLA--learned the ropes in J-action-ville where I worked for Farrens (the biggest tree service in the southeast at the time--and we never prune spiked, even when side trimming pines for line clearance--in fact we had to hide our gaffs beneath the chipper truck seat). I've also climbed in Tallahasse, the Panhandle, Miami, Orlando, Mt. Dora, Lakeland--you get the picture. I lived in Gainesville too. You're not fooling anyone by saying that everyone you know prune spikes or that the HOs don't know any better or that you couldn't make a good living climbing clean. There's plenty of intelligent, affluent HOs who would be receptive to it if you offered. Just think of the college crowd--professors and such--around UF.

If you're only in it for the money, so be it, but in my book you're not a true tree man. A true tree man is a tree care professional, and prune spiking ain't tree care, no matter how you slice it.

Try rope climbing, bro, you'll love it. In fact, take two ropes up with you, you'll doubly love it...

Heard that!
Jeff

Back to school

Athesun, OK. I wasnt goin to jump in on this one but being an ARBORIST- that still climbs I couldnt help myself. I'll keep it simple, use spikes when removing and be spikeless when pruning & if it gets a little hard to do that perhaps get some accreditation or better yet peruse some forum history on compartmentalization of decay in trees.

Athesun, OK. I wasnt goin to jump in on this one but being an ARBORIST- that still climbs I couldnt help myself. I'll keep it simple, use spikes when removing and be spikeless when pruning & if it gets a little hard to do that perhaps get some accreditation or better yet peruse some forum history on compartmentalization of decay in trees.

No your not talking his language, he only comprehends if you add dollar signs. He hasnt worked out hes not really an arborist yet.

If your hired as a proffessional and you do something you know to be wrong to just to take in more money and decieve you clients into allowing you to do it, doesnt that make you a fraud/shyster/conman?

ok i'm done talking about this. you get my points and i get yours, we just disagree.
Nope sorry we do not get your "points"--they are not really points because they are tooo dull. This confirmed by your inability to defend any of them. They were BS, like all the other hack hype we hear here from time to time.

If you were open to learning you could have set a line and pulley in that hackberry from the ground, and inverse-removed the dead cherry. Safer, easier, cleaner and More Profitable...Hello in there, helloooooo.

I think he's taken his teddys and gone home...

What's not to get about the money angle, do things right, charge MORE money, go home happy, leave a happy tree and customer...
As for needing the spikes for positioning, never heard of loop runners/slings? I always carry two or three to put in a foothold on a prune when there isn't a handy branch or stub, SO easy:dizzy:
Dude, try a split tail on your system, makes changing postions easy, maybe thats why the spikes are felt to be necessary, can't be bothered to change your TIP because it means untying and retying the whole shebang so just dig in the spikes and stretch? ...try it, its a revelation!

No your not talking his language, he only comprehends if you add dollar signs.

I don't think he even understands that, it's been laid out several times for him how it's just as, if not more, profitable to spikeless prune, but the voices in his big head must be too loud or something. Forget asthesun, he's a lost cause, but I bet we can get Raymond to start doing the right thing. Whaddaya say, Ray? You wanna give it a shot for ####s and grins? You already know you don't NEED them. Why not up the anti for the local boys, eh?

i make no bones about it. no justification needed save for this: spiking is easier and faster. time=money. i'm in it for the money and money alone.

So, you gaff trees, as well as palms? Palms aren't trees.

If so, you are a hack, period. And 25 years behind the times...

As well, in a huge trunked tree, any pro arborist will be in the top, working, while you're still struggling to make it up.

Same goes for many trees where it's easy to set a line. An accompished foot locker would also blow your sorry asz out of the water.

Back