o no??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
/slvrmpl72: "I will tell you from personal experience that as I have bookworm tendencies and learn from my mistakes I have seen a marked increase in my sense of pride for the quality work I have done as well as a marked increase in my profit margin. What I personally discovered was that by being able to offer better services and knowledge I was interacting with smarter customers who in their own professional fields garnered a better income and better quality of life without having to kill themselves workwise to make ends meet. That is something we all can appreciate."

:clap: The cream rises to the top, and breathes free. The hacks sink with the dregs, and drown. Your choice.

I've worked central florida from gainesville to cocoa, from st. augs to sanibel. i never had to spike prunes just to save precious seconds and get in under the next bidder. That's whack, Jack, which rhymes with...:chainsaw:

asthesun, Rain Main, your asses got handed to you 2 pages ago. Anyone can limbwalk without spikes if they learn to use redirects (aka a second rope). Try it, you'll like it.

Climbing without spikes is a lot more fun, and makes a lot more money.

i work for someone else and i sub for several different ppl. when i'm done on the sub jobs, i get to go home paid in full. at my full time job, i was hired because i am pretty fast, experienced and i dont tear stuff up.

The way I see it "pruning" a tree with spikes on and then bragging about how fast you are is like dropping a tree on the house and the saying how quick the job went.

/slvrmpl72: "I will tell you from personal experience that as I have bookworm tendencies and learn from my mistakes I have seen a marked increase in my sense of pride for the quality work I have done as well as a marked increase in my profit margin. What I personally discovered was that by being able to offer better services and knowledge I was interacting with smarter customers who in their own professional fields garnered a better income and better quality of life without having to kill themselves workwise to make ends meet. That is something we all can appreciate."

:clap: The cream rises to the top, and breathes free. The hacks sink with the dregs, and drown. Your choice.

I've worked central florida from gainesville to cocoa, from st. augs to sanibel. i never had to spike prunes just to save precious seconds and get in under the next bidder. That's whack, Jack, which rhymes with...:chainsaw:

asthesun, Rain Main, your asses got handed to you 2 pages ago. Anyone can limbwalk without spikes if they learn to use redirects (aka a second rope). Try it, you'll like it.

Climbing without spikes is a lot more fun, and makes a lot more money.

i can limbwalk without spikes. i choose not to. in what way was my ass handed to me? you havent made me mad or anything. while you're busy setting a rope from the ground, i'm rapelling down to the first limb. while you're busy monkeying with your second rope, i'm out on the limb doing the work. time=money. if i was a recreational climber and wanted to climb the same tree over and over, i prolly wouldnt use spikes. spikes really dont hurt a tree that much when you trim every 6mos or 2 years, depending on how often your customer calls you back. i've done estimates for many different companies around here and have only run into maybe 3 or 4 customers that wouldnt let me spike their trees in 9 years. for those few, i give them the number of a tree hugging marine buddy of mine and he comes and overcharges by a third or a half since its going to take him that much longer to do the work

i can limbwalk without spikes. i choose not to. in what way was my ass handed to me? you havent made me mad or anything. while you're busy setting a rope from the ground, i'm rapelling down to the first limb. while you're busy monkeying with your second rope, i'm out on the limb doing the work. time=money. if i was a recreational climber and wanted to climb the same tree over and over, i prolly wouldnt use spikes. spikes really dont hurt a tree that much when you trim every 6mos or 2 years, depending on how often your customer calls you back. i've done estimates for many different companies around here and have only run into maybe 3 or 4 customers that wouldnt let me spike their trees in 9 years. for those few, i give them the number of a tree hugging marine buddy of mine and he comes and overcharges by a third or a half since its going to take him that much longer to do the work

Hey dude, let me let you in on a little secret...

You suck!!!!

Well we have come to an understanding then.

Next time yer up there "pruning away" maybe you will think of what you read here before you think you are all that sunny boy.

You are doing it like a hack with every little step kid...every day and with every little step.

lol.

Well we have come to an understanding then.

Next time yer up there "pruning away" maybe you will think of what you read here before you think you are all that sunny boy.

You are doing it like a hack with every little step kid...every day and with every little step.

lol.

sticks and stones. i'm 6'3", i dont take small steps, not on the ground and not in the tree. not metaphorically either

sued

I am the operations manager of a very respected tree care company in southern california and all our job specs express work done by ansi standards.
If spikes are used on other than removals or rescue, I am breaking the contract. If you climb with spikes here, you are not my competition,You are a HACK! Anyone who thinks it is o.k. will not get the jobs that matter and will be struggling for old ladys with a little money any their competition are other hacks. Time is money, sure, but a Hack's time is not the same as a tree care pro's time.
Jeff
Climbing since 1977 and isa certified.(un-like a hack)

I am the operations manager of a very respected tree care company in southern california and all our job specs express work done by ansi standards.
If spikes are used on other than removals or rescue, I am breaking the contract. If you climb with spikes here, you are not my competition,You are a HACK! Anyone who thinks it is o.k. will not get the jobs that matter and will be struggling for old ladys with a little money any their competition are other hacks. Time is money, sure, but a Hack's time is not the same as a tree care pro's time.
Jeff
Climbing since 1977 and isa certified.(un-like a hack)

you live a world away from me. cali is overpriced and florida in under-policed (tree police). i cant get away with it there and you couldnt charge what you charge here

you live a world away from me. cali is overpriced and florida in under-policed (tree police). i cant get away with it there and you couldnt charge what you charge here

I don't want to get under anyone's skin, but I bet if you educate clients, the word will get out and you will earn more respect. Leave the hacks behind and deal with quality customers or , well,,,,,,
Jeff

I don't want to get under anyone's skin, but I bet if you educate clients, the word will get out and you will earn more respect. Leave the hacks behind and deal with quality customers or , well,,,,,,
Jeff

if i did, i'd have to bid higher since the work would take longer and there'd be no way to compete. you wont get under my skin as long as you are respectful even though you disagree with my practices. tolerance you know?

We see your point but are you up for a raise? For one, the statement " I spike all my trees " is so inane, it makes no sense... only to the blind perhaps or the stupit for sure.
Whatever your demographic you are going to come across many trees YOU SHOULD NOT SPIKE. maybe if you told us THEY made you do it we would be more forgiving.

i've done estimates for many different companies around here and have only run into maybe 3 or 4 customers that wouldnt let me spike their trees in 9 years. for those few, i give them the number of a tree hugging marine buddy of mine and he comes and overcharges by a third or a half since its going to take him that much longer to do the work

Wiat, you're in it for the money and yet YOU even admit that customers that don't want it spiked are willing to pay more? :monkey:

Sounds like a way to get MORE money out of a customer that insists on no spikes to me.

And it's probably only 3 or 4 because you don't try to sell them on the spikeless method.

I don't even climb trees but do find this discussion interesting.

Maybe you misunderstood me or I wasen't clear. I didn't say hooks are the fastest way to the top or that you should use them. Here were I work you can get fined for each hook mark in the tree, thats a heck of a determent for using them. Count the hook marks X 15 to 25 dollars a hole and your broke. thats just in some towns or citys though, most guys here have said they use them or have used them occasionaly not as a habit as the original guy who posted this is claiming to do, maybe he just wanted to here everyone argue. Although I see there isn't a lot of disagreement , Hook a removal , trim without them.

hey now i started this thread and i dont spike prunes i was complaing my new boss does...and today he pruned 3 small very little maples, with spikes and get this no handsaw? he used his chainsaw for every inch cut and all i couldnt belive it, i wouldnt even had a chain saw in any 1 of them trees my silky can cut anything...just about

:agree2: this. you do it your way, we do it our way. stop preaching pls. i wont change upon demand. the jehovas whitnesses figured that out eventually

The spikelss group didn't come knocking on your door. You came to their Kingdom Hall. lol

if i did, i'd have to bid higher since the work would take longer and there'd be no way to compete. you wont get under my skin as long as you are respectful even though you disagree with my practices. tolerance you know?

but if you did your work would be so much better than the other hacks then u charge more and still get the job over hacky becuase people actully care what they got to look at.
and your the tree guy if you tell the HO spikes are bad thats why you dont do it they will think, and talk to their friends, till one of their freinds goes "o my tree guy uses spikes, whats your guys number?"

Sun-burned, if you ever went to see a tree-climbing competition, you would see a lot of spikeless climbers who are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay faster than you. And you might relax your refusal to shed your foot-prickers (which is like a car mechanic refusing to put down his hammer)

Not sure who you've compared to up to now.

You just missed one in Ocala, but try Sarasota in June.

PS Books do not bite.

PPS Floridians are wising up, and many of the wisest on tree care are able and willing to pay for quality work.

Back