o no??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In any job that one takes the first priority is not to screw it up. Whether a plumber, carpenter or anything. Of course if you keep screwing up jobs and doing shoddy work its called hack in any profession.
While some of these hakcs brag about the money and make some of us feel bad like that its best not to buy into it.
If one can truly say" They are just trees" then well, " it just pizza " or " its just a space ship" or " its just a hot water heater"

Spikers are hacks, this is a fact known worldwide to be true. Spikers who keep argueing that its Ok really should just let the tree work alone. If you spike every tree.... its sickening. Pathetic, weak, improper.

Now I guess if its Ok to spike trees to you than I hate to see who does your plumbing, fixes your car, cuts your hair, does your taxes...

Of course I am not argueing here, just stating the facts, in fact you are actually argueing with yourself, I am just helping you do that.

And the hacks float to the surface.
Pruning in spikes show the cowboy hacker to be a mix of ignorant, lazy or arrogant. They are either to fat and lazy to climb any other way, to ignorant to learn or to arrogant to relise that they are little more than door to door hacks with a bit more gear than your average illegal landscaper. Do you offer expert roof repairs and mowing to? Maybe you should start mowing so at least some of your trimming work will come out ok.

Better hope you clients remain more ignorant than you are.

I hope he pulls off the spikes before repairing the roof though.... 'Course while mowing he can double bill as aerating the lawn....
:givebeer:

And the hacks float to the surface.
Pruning in spikes show the cowboy hacker to be a mix of ignorant, lazy or arrogant. They are either to fat and lazy to climb any other way, to ignorant to learn or to arrogant to relise that they are little more than door to door hacks with a bit more gear than your average illegal landscaper. Do you offer expert roof repairs and mowing to? Maybe you should start mowing so at least some of your trimming work will come out ok.

Better hope you clients remain more ignorant than you are.

And the hacks float to the surface like a bloated, lumpy turd. Hope to get a flush before the smell hits my nostrils.

Actually, if you hire someone to prune your trees and they spike it all up can't they be sued?

I am always pulling myself up in the tree.
I usually always carry my pruners or hanger puller and set my rope up high, and pull myself up not using my spurs. Hell I do it on removals even, just out of habit.
The ladder gets used on EVERY TREE up so high and I set my climbing line up above and usually again if not another time.

I'm like a lion in the jungle of life fellas. I have claws sure but I don't pull them out unless I need them.
Mikestreejob006.jpg

OK I need to confess to something.
I too use my spurs for most trees.
The trick is to learn to keep it to a minimum.

Just because they're there doesn't mean you need to use them.
Besides my hand saw is attached to my spurs, not my leg.

If I have to compete with hackers, I need my gear and spurs is part of it.

You just watch every step you take.
Cheetos-1.gif
:agree2:
I wear them too,doesn't mean I stomp them in every time I move.Plus i use pole spikes most of the time.They are only trees people.

:agree2:
I wear them too,doesn't mean I stomp them in every time I move.Plus i use pole spikes most of the time.They are only trees people.

who are these people who keep saying " they are only trees" ? Do these guys not fully appreciate the magnitude?

what does that mean anyway? If they are only tree then you are only a hack?

I love the guys who say that when they use spikes on a trim that they don't push in as much. THAT is a crock.
Now don't go forgetting who you are talking to, I am The Dan, yer not.

Floridians, I took pics. at Walt Disney World. I can't believe they let hacks in such a nice (expensive) park. Just talk the HO into taking them down and replanting something small enough to prune with your bucket trucks and ladders.

LT...

You tree huggers kill me with your holier than thou take on trees .

Most of you will cut down a good tree in a heartbeat,for the right $$.

Where is the TREE LOVE there?

For what it's worth...

Check the points on the Gecko's versus the old style spurs.

Keeping in mind the word minimum. When I am just pruning out a tree I have them but am totally cautious of what I'm doing and don't use them if I don't have to. Steadying myself using them in already open lower cuts, if that. You don't have to stomp them in.
0507090901.jpg

Last edited:
You tree huggers kill me with your holier than thou take on trees .

Most of you will cut down a good tree in a heartbeat,for the right $$.

Where is the TREE LOVE there?

What in the world does removing a healthy tree which was slated for removal by it's owners have to do with using improper hackish methods on a tree which is not being removed?

Look, it's simple. If you spike trims because you're unwilling or unable to do it properly, you're a hack.

Check the points on the Gecko's versus the old style spurs.

Keeping in mind the word minimum. When I am just pruning out a tree I have them but am totally cautious of what I'm doing and don't use them if I don't have to. Steadying myself using them in already open lower cuts, if that. You don't have to stomp them in.
0507090901.jpg

Raymond, you don't have to. I can count on one hand the trims I've spiked since I left line clearance. Most of them were ice covered.

If they're not stomped in, they're not doing their job, and can gaff out much more easily. Take 'em off, and join the light side, you can do it. You're barely using them anyway, right?

This thread just got me to thinking about moving out to the left coast and becoming a arboricultural acupuncturist. I can just smell the money oozing from those trees, and don't worry my therapies will help everyone here in another five to ten years.

Raymond, you don't have to. I can count on one hand the trims I've spiked since I left line clearance. Most of them were ice covered.

If they're not stomped in, they're not doing their job, and can gaff out much more easily. Take 'em off, and join the light side, you can do it. You're barely using them anyway, right?
Right!

I have all my weight on the ropes. I don't count on spurs for falling.
Just to keep myself steady when I'm sitting/standing still if I have to. If I have other ways (limbs to do this) I do that.
Do I run up a tree using them if it's a prune job, NO. Like I said I set ropes higher, then I am and pull myself up. HELL I do this on removals as well.

What I'm saying is MINIMUM, I just can't say that enough. You guys are welcome to come to KC and I'll take you to trees I've clean out and see if you can find one gaff mark.
captaincaveman.jpg

Last edited:
Right!

I have all my weight on the ropes. I don't count on spurs for falling.
Just to keep myself steady when I'm sitting/standing still if I have to. If I have other ways limbs to do this I do that.
Do I run up a tree using them if it's a prune job, NO. Like I said I set ropes higher than I am and pull myself up. HELL I do this on removals as well.

What I'm saying is MINIMUM, I just can't say that enough. You guys are welcome to come to KC and I'll take you to trees I've clean out and see if you can find one gaff mark.
captaincaveman.jpg

Exactly.....you don't need them. But because they're strapped on, you give the appearance of needing them.

If you leave 'em in the truck, you give the appearance of being better at your job than the hacks who wear spikes to prune.

If you leave them in the truck even when nobody is watching, you are better at your job than the hacks who spike trims.

The true MINIMUM, after all, is zero.

What in the world does removing a healthy tree which was slated for removal by it's owners have to do with using improper hackish methods on a tree which is not being removed?

Look, it's simple. If you spike trims because you're unwilling or unable to do it properly, you're a hack.

And if you remove healthy trees for no other reason than $$,you're a hypocrite.

I'd rather be a hack than an arrogent hypocrite.

And if you remove healthy trees for no other reason than $$,you're a hypocrite.

I'd rather be a hack than an arrogent hypocrite.

So now you're claiming that property owners should not have the right to decide what happens with the trees on their property?

Loggers harvest a renewable resource, specifically looking for the biggest and healthiest specimens to harvest, (for money), are they hypocrits too?

I've talked many propery owners OUT of removing a healthy tree. I've removed many other healthy trees that had to go. The guy who owned the tree said so.

So if safely and efficently completing the job I was hired for is being an arrogant hipocrit, I'm down with that.

I've had plenty of HO's ask me to cut down a tree that didn't need or deserve to be cut down, but you know what?

I've NEVER had a HO ask me to spike up their perfectly good tree.

I can understand where you're coming from tho.....it's tough being a hack and trying to avoid the fact. It makes those silly rationalizations you're coming up with seem justified.

So now you're claiming that property owners should not have the right to decide what happens with the trees on their property?

Loggers harvest a renewable resource, specifically looking for the biggest and healthiest specimens to harvest, (for money), are they hypocrits too?

I've talked many propery owners OUT of removing a healthy tree. I've removed many other healthy trees that had to go. The guy who owned the tree said so.

So if safely and efficently completing the job I was hired for is being an arrogant hipocrit, I'm down with that.

I've had plenty of HO's ask me to cut down a tree that didn't need or deserve to be cut down, but you know what?

I've NEVER had a HO ask me to spike up their perfectly good tree.

I can understand where you're coming from tho.....it's tough being a hack and trying to avoid the fact. It makes those silly rationalizations you're coming up with seem justified.

:agree2::jawdrop:

Latest posts

Back