o21 stilh help please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommync

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
got a chainsaw runs good but when cuttng for 30 seconds the chain gets so tight it cuts the engine off. any help or advice.

Sprocket nose on the bar seizing up?

no! after it gets real tight . i take the side cover back off and put it back to gether and ajust the chain and it works find for few sec . maybe something going on with the ajuster. can it thighten by it shelf?

Take off the bar and chain and run the saw lightly, you should see a steady stream of oil down the side, if not, THERE YOU GO.

Most likely cause: not enough oil (either oiler not working, not full - or possibly oil hole plugged: Ive seen this happen a few times on this saw, its got a very small oiler hole).

Less likely, but something I saw once with the exact same problem: You're using a Bar & Chain that match your sprocket, right? I saw someone with a .325 sprocket and he put a 3/8" bar and chain on there. Saw would (amazingly) cut ok for a short period but soon lock up (thankfully for him - as we were able to figure out the problem before he could damage his engine!)

Most likely cause: not enough oil (either oiler not working, not full - or possibly oil hole plugged: Ive seen this happen a few times on this saw, its got a very small oiler hole).
Less likely, but something I saw once with the exact same problem: You're using a Bar & Chain that match your sprocket, right? I saw someone with a .325 sprocket and he put a 3/8" bar and chain on there. Saw would (amazingly) cut ok for a short period but soon lock up (thankfully for him - as we were able to figure out the problem before he could damage his engine!)
Great post..!! I hadn't even thought of that..!! ::thumbsup::

I'm thinking that's it..!! He takes the clutch cover off - or - loosens chain - then re-tightens

Then it locks up again in 30 seconds..!! Sure sounds like it to me..!!
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
Great post..!! I hadn't even thought of that..!! ::thumbsup::

I'm thinking that's it..!! He takes the clutch cover off - or - loosens chain - then re-tightens

Then it locks up again in 30 seconds..!! Sure sounds like it to me..!!
:cheers:
J2F

no, definitely the sock thing!!!!

If the chain matches the pitch of the sprocket, the oiler works, and still no luck, i'd take a look at the drive links also. Unlikely, but if they are worn bad, or damaged, they might be causing your binding issue.

Latest posts

Back