Oak Baby!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cnice_37

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
My neighbor is a former wood burner turned pellet burner, so he asked my wife if we needed anymore firewood. She said oh yeah and so today I had at it.

Everything was cut to length (random lengths of course) but hey. Too muddy to bring in the pickup, so used the tractor and got probably 2 cords.

Pretty punky in some spots, apparently its been cut for 4 years, and a lot was on the ground.

But for 3 hours of work, this should round out next years heat!

The haul & hauler :
IMG_4512.jpg

The recently muff modded 346xp (got to noodle the big boys):
IMG_4514.jpg

Well, heck ya!

I have no idea why people want to limit themselves to a pellet supply, but good score! Free is free!

I've been eyeballing "targets of opportunity" around the farm the last two weeks, I'm over 20 trees so far that need to come down or are down. Found two whopper standing dead oaks just today. I'm gonna do the big down branches in the woods first, then them two oaks, then the other stuff, mostly hung up in the tops widowmakers I want to drag down, then real oddball twisty or injured cull trees.

Now all I need to do is finish spring chores (putting in the gardens, then haying, then some maintenance and cabin rebuilding) so I can take a breather and go back to sawin'..of course it will be 90+ degrees then, so mostly real early am cutting only.... Set myself a goal to be two years ahead last fall, reached that, working towards year three now. I'd like to hit about five years ahead, after that, might think about selling some when I need some spare cash.

Time to take your neighbor some fresh baked goods.

I look at it like we both did each other a favor. He was going to haul away whatever was too punky, and there was plenty of that, so I saved him some work too. I also took off his hands some pallets and wood racks (which of course is to me benefit more than his.) I plan to use the wood racks in the basement next winter.

This was actually the first time I really talked with him aside from the neighborly "hello." We'll probably extend our huge summer party invite to him and his wife, and at a minimum have him eat and drink well.

Great score I am on my spring hunt for wood. Three years burning in my boiler and I am yet to have to buy any wood. I have to call on some trees to be cut and removed from craigslist tonight.....

Latest posts

Back