Oak ID, has red spots?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After I posted my pic I checked and it appears EAB is not prevelant yet in DE so my request is mute. Nevertheless, I have very little doubt that is ash. When they age the bark gets big and corky/fluffy looking like that with deep furrows. The split wood has that creamy color and the low moisture content makes it feel light.

It might not be Ash but I have bucked and split many white ash over the past years now and not one of them show signs of EAB like the yellow and black ash do.. Our bass and hard maple trees are dying and none of those show signs of the EAB. I think they die from stress/poor growing conditions or they get a fungus from the roots like the oaks. When you go for your next load of wood, take a sample with you and ask the guys at the mill. It would be interesting to know for sure..

Has anyone here that is saying it's ash ever cut sassafras?? I have cut down, bucked ,and split both species many times. That is sassafras the OP posted. @Fred Wright can you split a few pieces of wood and the bark off. Then smell immediately.

Has anyone here that is saying it's ash ever cut sassafras?? I have cut down, bucked ,and split both species many times. That is sassafras the OP posted. @Fred Wright can you split a few pieces of wood and the bark off. Then smell immediately.
It looks like Ash.
It's white Ash, it all I've been cutting the past few years do to EAB.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
I think it does look like Ash yes.

All day today. It is ash

I've seen ash with some pretty funky bark. Usually on poorer sites like someone mentioned. Grain pattern looks like ash. We don't have sass here so i wouldn't know that. I'm in EAB central for WI and the first thing that comes out of a woods is merch ash. I've seen all kinds of funky grain and stain patterns too. If it smells like a baseball bat, its ash. Almost a 'clean' smell.

Also never heard of yellow ash and EAB doesn't descriminate.

I've seen ash with some pretty funky bark. Usually on poorer sites like someone mentioned. Grain pattern looks like ash. We don't have sass here so i wouldn't know that. I'm in EAB central for WI and the first thing that comes out of a woods is merch ash. I've seen all kinds of funky grain and stain patterns too. If it smells like a baseball bat, its ash. Almost a 'clean' smell.

Also never heard of yellow ash and EAB doesn't descriminate.
How about the red tint in the wood? I don't recall ever seeing Ash with that coloring, also the furrows in the bark are too deep.

Sassafras.jpg
Variation in quality of sassafras boards from best (left) to poorest (right).

The sapwood is light yellow and narrow; the heartwood is light to dark brown, occasionally with cinnamon red swirls about ¼ to ½ inch in diameter. The wood is ring porous, making the growth rings very distinct, and the wood is similar to black ash, chestnut or catalpa. The early wood pores are easily seen with the naked eye. The wood, when freshly cut, has the distinctive odor of sassafras. The wood tends to darken with exposure to light.

Sassafras.jpg
Variation in quality of sassafras boards from best (left) to poorest (right).

The sapwood is light yellow and narrow; the heartwood is light to dark brown, occasionally with cinnamon red swirls about ¼ to ½ inch in diameter. The wood is ring porous, making the growth rings very distinct, and the wood is similar to black ash, chestnut or catalpa. The early wood pores are easily seen with the naked eye. The wood, when freshly cut, has the distinctive odor of sassafras. The wood tends to darken with exposure to light.
See the problem here is only the OP can actually be sure what it really is.

Latest posts

Back