Oak ID, has red spots?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok guys, I'm going to the woodpile to slice up some GREEN ASH that I just cut down a few days ago. I'll post some good pictures this afternoon.
Someone needs to do the same with a sassafras today.

Ok guys, I'm going to the woodpile to slice up some GREEN ASH that I just cut down a few days ago. I'll post some good pictures this afternoon.
Someone needs to do the same with a sassafras today.
Here's some pictures of green(red) ash (fraxinus pennsylvanica). Ash often has great variability in bark within the same subspecies growing on the same site.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 31
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    697.9 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    886.2 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    792.4 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    749.6 KB · Views: 28
We might as well get everyone arguing over this one. Anyone know what this is?
Here's some pictures of green(red) ash (fraxinus pennsylvanica). Ash often has great variability in bark within the same subspecies growing on the same site.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 51
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
I've seen red in ash and really thick bark too. Usually the odd ball stuff i find in swamps.

Swamp Ash:eek:. Was that thick bark on larger Ash trees or is it the location that plays a factor into the tree having a thicker bark?

Swamp Ash:eek:. Was that thick bark on larger Ash trees or is it the location that plays a factor into the tree having a thicker bark?
Usually larger, but it can happen in supressed smaller trees too. I've seen bark go from thick and furrowed to nearly smooth to scaley all on the same tree.

Was out to the mill yesterday for another load of softwood. Last one, I'm hoping. Just tears me up to leave all that oak behind. :cry:

Anyhoo, I took along a slab of this wood to see if I could find more. No soap on that but as fate would have it, the owner came putzying around on his tractor. I flagged him down and showed him what I had.

That's ash he said. Wasn't certain of the variety but it's definitely ash of some sort. The thin growth rings meant the tree came from poor soil, poor irrigation or both. If it was on the conveyor pile Saturday, it was milled Friday, the day they do orders. Customers deliver logs with specs on how they want it sawn. Yep, baseball and cricket bats, tool handles are made from it.

Anyhoo, I took along a slab of this wood to see if I could find more. No soap on that but as fate would have it, the owner came putzying around on his tractor. I flagged him down and showed him what I had.That's ash he said...
Fred, thanks for getting back to us with the ID on the wood. I was in the not Ash camp.:buttkick:

Fred, thanks for getting back to us with the ID on the wood. I was in the not Ash camp.:buttkick:

Funny thing, I see a pc of wood and right off the bat I "know" what it is and then others make the case for it being something else and I start to see the points of their case and then after a while I just ain't sure! Usually my first guess was a good one which does not make me smart, just means I have seen beaucoup wood cut/split in the last 40 yrs.

Latest posts

Back