Oak ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

branchbuzzer

Undiagnosed
Reaction score
Normally I don't go out of my way to figure out exactly what kind of oak I have, other than it's red or white. This tree was real unusual to me though, so I thought I'd put it up here.

The first thing that's different to me is the weight, this stuff is heavy even by oak standards. Every time I pick up a split it feels like lead compared to the other white/red oak types I have. The long slab split pictured here weighs 10.25 lbs, and is about 17" x 5.5" x 2.5" , which I make to be roughly about 75lbs/ cu ft.

It also had very little heartwood, some branches had almost none. This doesn't show up too well in these shots.

The bark is a bluish-green color, almost like pin oak, but there were no "pins" in the wood and straight grain.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

How easy was it to split?

If relatively easy to split I'd say chestnut oak, the leaves look similar to the leaves on a chestnut tree. Do you have any leaf pics? It's also called rock oak.

How easy was it to split?

If relatively easy to split I'd say chestnut oak, the leaves look similar to the leaves on a chestnut tree. Do you have any leaf pics? It's also called rock oak.

Sorry it's definitely not chestnut oak, I deal with that on a regular basis.

Like most oak it split easily.

I don't have access to the the leafs, at least not easily.

White walnut/Butternut? I'll throw it out there :msp_mellow: Those rings are freakin' huge for an oak. The leaves would give a better ID.

The growth conditions for oaks here are extremely good. The size of those rings is not much different than many other oaks I've cut in this area.

Normally I don't go out of my way to figure out exactly what kind of oak I have, other than it's red or white. This tree was real unusual to me though, so I thought I'd put it up here.

The first thing that's different to me is the weight, this stuff is heavy even by oak standards. Every time I pick up a split it feels like lead compared to the other white/red oak types I have. The long slab split pictured here weighs 10.25 lbs, and is about 17" x 5.5" x 2.5" , which I make to be roughly about 75lbs/ cu ft.

It also had very little heartwood, some branches had almost none. This doesn't show up too well in these shots.

The bark is a bluish-green color, almost like pin oak, but there were no "pins" in the wood and straight grain.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php
Its one of the red oaks !

Last edited:
+1
With those rays and open pores, there is no doubt of that.

But the only thing I can think of is black oak. (Quercus velutina) The bark in the pic could be a little scuffed up... Try Googling black oak bark and see what you think. I'm on a terrible connection right now, so I can't...

http://plants.usda.gov/gallery/pubs/quve_010_pvp.jpg

Most of the pics I saw were of large trees, with much different bark. Didn't see any that matched.

This was around a 15-18" dbh tree, so not real big.

Was the tree alive? Did you cut it in Feb?

Yes, alive. Was cut about 1.5-2 weeks ago.

I was thinking maybe the sap running was adding to the weight, but I cut all the other oaks I'm comparing the weight to within a few days of it so they would also have some extra weight. It's been split for about a week.

Quercus coccina Muenchh no I'm not calling you names Branchbuzzer, It's latin for scarlet oak, it also hybridizes with black, bear, & pin oak

Yes, alive. Was cut about 1.5-2 weeks ago.

I was thinking maybe the sap running was adding to the weight, but I cut all the other oaks I'm comparing the weight to within a few days of it so they would also have some extra weight. It's been split for about a week.

The reason I wondered, was I cut a pin oak last week that had to be the heaviest oak I've ever lifted...

Well, I cornfess to not being a scarlet oak expert. The ones I've seen that I thought were scarlets had bark that seemed "layered" on the larger scales or blocks of the bark. By that I mean as you look at the side of the scales you see small layers on top of each other, like filo dough. This tree doesn't really have any scales, might just be too young.

Scarlet pic, mine didn't look much like this though.
ScarletOakbark.jpg

The reason I wondered, was I cut a pin oak last week that had to be the heaviest oak I've ever lifted...

The bark is real close to some pin oak I've cut, but pin oak has tons of branches and knots, "pins", in the wood. Pin grows super fast. I have some splits of pin oak that make the growth rings on this one seem tiny.

The growth conditions for oaks here are extremely good. The size of those rings is not much different than many other oaks I've cut in this area.
That sure looks like oak, but the bark has me bumfuzzled.

Quercus coccina Muenchh no I'm not calling you names Branchbuzzer, It's latin for scarlet oak, it also hybridizes with black, bear, & pin oak

My blacklocusts bark is much darker even though the texture is fairly close. I'd call it a hybrid.

That sure looks like oak, but the bark has me bumfuzzled.

It threw me as well. We have some scarlets here up in the hills, but I've never seen one with a bark that green. I probably would have noticed something that unusual. I wish I had some better pics of the unusual heartwood that I'm talking about but I don't really. I remember some logs around 6 or 8" that only had a small inch or two of heartwood, everything else was white. Just a strange-to-me tree.

That right there would be HEAVY STINKY OAK:hmm3grin2orange:

another vote for red oak type:msp_thumbsup:

Back