oak log

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could you put some house jacks underneath one side of the trailer and roll it off?

I suppose, but you would have to reinforce the floor of the trailer with steel plates to handle the added stress of the jacks pushing on it. It'll be a bear to unload without heavy equipment I can tell you that right now. Especially since the front part of the log fell through the floor a small bit. I would imagine the guy that owns the trailer will need a new floor by the time that log is off of it.

Yep, saw it on the trailer or I have used a chain with the hook of a cant hook on the end attached to a tractor to roll logs.

If you do some rip cuts on the end you could saw it in sections till you get close to the bottom, then remove the small piece from the trailer so you run no risk in cutting the floor.

That thing is massive, I don't like to tackle wood that big. The last time I did, it was a 130 year old burr oak and it still wasn't that big. Took me forever to process. Cut 12 inch long rounds and you still can't even think about lifting them.

That log sure is impressive but all I see is a big expensive PITA if it's going to be firewood. Think of the cost so far....crane removal, damaged trailer, blown engine....money pit. If it was me, I would saw the log into 3-4 pieces, roll them off the trailer and blow each pice apart with some black powder.

my father and i cut oaks that big all the time. we have cut up to 60 diameter. we cut one this year that we got 20 full size truck loads stacked out of it. cut another one this past week that we got 15 truck loads out of. all of them were water oaks. not that big of a deal to process into firewood if you have the saws, tractor and splitter to handle it.

Latest posts

Back