Oaktrees are bleeding sap

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fairplay

Reaction score
My oaktrees are bleeding sap this year , which I have not noticed before , is this normal for the winter season .

Mike - I reviewed slime flux , but the drippings seem to be coming from the leaves and liveoaks in my area all seem to be affected .
QUOTE]Originally posted by John Paul Sanborn
Search "slime flux" on this site or the web and see if this is what you have. [/QUOTE]

Its probably aphids, which secrete a sticky, sugary honeydew that drips onto cars and makes a mess. Aphids usually occur in cycles and are controlled by natural predators. Spraying for aphids usually kills these predators allowing the aphids to return in even greater numbers. Your best option may be some judicious pruning or parking your car away from the tree.

With high populations of pest, using a non persistant contact product can help knock the populations down without effecting the predator populations too much. It is the repeated blanket application that realy does a number on beneficial insects, like the for hire company that comes in and sprays fungicid/pesticide mix on the crabapples every month because it is easier to do this while treating for apple scab.

Latest posts

Back