obenaufs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good replies. They are different products for different purposes. The grease is the standard product and should used to feed and fill the leather making it water repellent and pliable. The boot has to be warm and the grease melted in the leather via sunlight or a hair dryer or radiant heat from a fire/stove. The oil provides touch up between grease applications and for me I oil and massage the boot tongue regularly.

WARNING: Do not use your wife's hair dryer! Get your own, tear the labels off, and call it a heat gun.

I try to put the grease on monthly and if I remember oil about every week or so.

Oil breaking in and then grease. I've been told after the fact by a boot rebuilder to watch over oiling them because it softens the leather too much and causes it to crack. First time I heard it I didn't believe him but I'm beginning to believe him.

My buddy who works at Kuliens tells me that a risk in using either is that if you get the leather waterproof enough, moisture can't get out any more than it can get in. When I had my Buffalos re-soled, I saw the sole leather and it was indeed cracked all around the stitch holes where the last was attached. I only ever used the LP on those boots. The solution, I think, is to use the Peet dryer to keep the inside as happy as the outside. I didn't have one for a lot of years, but I have one now. I definitely like the LP better. I always apply it with my bare hands; the warmth from my body heat is enough to make it pliable and absorb right. Another tip: apply the LP while the boots are wet. This helps force the water out, and absorb the grease better. Seems counter-intuitive but it works.

Yes it does... and its long-lost big brother has recently been recreated in miniature papier-mache form:

1040271_609688912418780_944503858_o.jpg

Now THAT'S proper ugly!

Latest posts

Back