Octane question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
why ya'll need to get in tallywacker measuring contests is beyond me.

The simplest way to avoid this is to provide citations. If youre going to get in a heated discussion. provide a scientific source to back your opinion.

I'm an electrical engineer, the field is so vast that I hate telling people what my degree is in during normal conversation. They'll ask me some relatively easy circuit question that I could have probably answered off the top of my head 20yrs ago, but I have CRS, the thimble is full. I get imposter syndrome all the time, I'm only comfortable being an expert in such a very small niche corner of it. Given time I can usually figure the stuff out, but on the spot, no.

All truly intelligent & wise people are completely open to the suggestion that their opinion can be incorrect, and are open to modifying it when presented real quantifiable data that is counter to that opinion.
That's a good post. Especially the last paragraph.
Unfortunately some of this stuff is so basic it's like trying to explain the earth is round to a flat earthen. It really is. That and can you find a citation in the literature that suggests the earth is round? Probably not because it's settled science and there is no literature on it.
Much of what is being discussed here goes back to Charles kettering's work in the 1920's..

Zero : If I said the Earth is round bwalker would say it's flat. About that simple.
bwalker: Unfortunately some of this stuff is so basic it's like trying to explain the earth is round to a flat earthen. It really is. That and can you find a citation in the literature that suggests the earth is round?

lmao
You two would be best friends at the local dive bar, admit it.

Alcohol is more a problem for guys that do not run their saws regularly. However, it does have issues for daily users too. It attracts alot of water, it can cause phase separation, it reacts with some ester based oils to create corrosion.
If I can avoid it I do.
Then other thing about it is something you touched on. It allows refiners to blend garbage streams with it and still hit their octane numbers. This fact alone is way guys have had problems ever sense Alcohol was first blended.

I've not had it happen to me or anyone I know, but I've seen pics of pistons out of saws that are obviously detonating.
Stale fuel and a lean tune will do it.

You two would be best friends at the local dive bar admit it.
You never know sometimes your worst enemy could become your friend and visa versa.

That's a good post. Especially the last paragraph.
Unfortunately some of this stuff is so basic it's like trying to explain the earth is round to a flat earthen. It really is. That and can you find a citation in the literature that suggests the earth is round? Probably not because it's settled science and there is no literature on it.
Much of what is being discussed here goes back to Charles kettering's work in the 1920's..

heh yeah, its an oblate spheroid, but a helluva lot closer to a sphere than a flat plane. Thats interesting Ive never searched for a scientific paper to validate the shape of the earth and I'm coming up dry on google-scholar.

regardless very interesting.... This is a bad thing for me, I need to avoid that rabbit hole....

I'm not sure why lead would be in a plastic phone case or the wiring of the charging cord, but regardless neither are going to expose you to lead unless you decide to chew on them. It's not the same as combusting leaded fuel in hand held equipment and not close.
Our cats chew on cords so that could become an issue.

Aha! Any strange behavior from them?
No
One is crazy Addilade, loves to eat plastic anything and Misty is just a pita. She likes to **** with me occasionally by doing it infront of me on my cell phone cords. Then she stops by to fart on ya and off to her pillow, brat!

No
One is crazy Addilade, loves to eat plastic anything and Misty is just a pita. She likes to **** with me occasionally by doing it infront of me on my cell phone cords. Then she stops by to fart on ya and off to her pillow, brat!
Need any more cats I have real nice one that my puppy keeps chasing?

Need any more cats I have real nice one that my puppy keeps chasing?
What I need is a bigger bolt on carburetor to fit an Echo 501X series. Got one handy?

New thread is about to pop up here on this subject. I'm ready to test tomorrow and see what it feels like. Just moving into the finish stages of the port work for now. It's coming back apart most likely for more changes and possibly lower the jug again another 0.015 to 20
The castings are thinner on these newest ones so caution is prudent.

What I need is a bigger bolt on carburetor to fit an Echo 501X series. Got one handy?

New thread is about to pop up here on this subject. I'm ready to test tomorrow and see what it feels like. Just moving into the finish stages of the port work for now. It's coming back apart most likely for more changes and possibly lower the jug again another 0.015 to 20
The castings are thinner on these newest ones so caution is prudent.
No I don't have one .

Typically the ground strap of the plug begins to glow before carbon and if you think about how it's positioned this makes sense. Not that carbon can not glow as well, especially on the exhaust valve or valves.
As for sea foam. As far as I am concerned it's pure snake oil. I've ran it through two cycles and then inspected after with a bore scope and it didn't do a thing except full the mufflernwith partially burnt and unburnt sea foam.
Interesting.. I've had engines that dieseled on shut down, and never really noticed if they stopped doing that after a plug change. I guess that carbon on the plug would just be one more ignition point for fuel mixture in the combustion chamber.
Is Seafoam "snake oil" ? Yes and no.. When mixed in gas, it acts a stabilizer, and can help dissolve varnish deposits in the carb, or, at least help stop them from forming. That being said, when something is running snotty, Seafoam may well make it run better. But, that realistically means that it's saved you ass for today, but that carb needs to come off and spend some quality time in an ultrasonic bath. Also, Seafoam absolutely won't do squat it an orifice in the carb is completely plugged. It can't clean what it can't get at. Period. I've never tried it in a 2 stroke.. Usually in a 4 stroke ( lawnmower), you dump a whack of it into the carb while it's running, and then do a "hot soak" for 20 minutes. Then you start it up and watch the clouds of smoke waft over the neighbourhood.
A couple of "glugs" into a 5 of fresh gas does seem to keep carbs clean, and stabilize the fuel. I'll go 90 to 120 days with fuel that has had Seafoam dumped into it when fresh, as opposed to 30 days without.

I
Interesting.. I've had engines that dieseled on shut down, and never really noticed if they stopped doing that after a plug change. I guess that carbon on the plug would just be one more ignition point for fuel mixture in the combustion chamber.
Is Seafoam "snake oil" ? Yes and no.. When mixed in gas, it acts a stabilizer, and can help dissolve varnish deposits in the carb, or, at least help stop them from forming. That being said, when something is running snotty, Seafoam may well make it run better. But, that realistically means that it's saved you ass for today, but that carb needs to come off and spend some quality time in an ultrasonic bath. Also, Seafoam absolutely won't do squat it an orifice in the carb is completely plugged. It can't clean what it can't get at. Period. I've never tried it in a 2 stroke.. Usually in a 4 stroke ( lawnmower), you dump a whack of it into the carb while it's running, and then do a "hot soak" for 20 minutes. Then you start it up and watch the clouds of smoke waft over the neighbourhood.
A couple of "glugs" into a 5 of fresh gas does seem to keep carbs clean, and stabilize the fuel. I'll go 90 to 120 days with fuel that has had Seafoam dumped into it when fresh, as opposed to 30 days without.
It's the metal of the ground strap the glows,not from carbon.
I've never used sea foam for storage or varnish removal, but looking at ingredients I highly doubt it does anything there either.

Next time do a hot soak on two stroke engines. If you want to clear hard carbon you use water or water and methanol. Seafoam only removes soft carbon most times. It will clean pistons, chambers and exhaust valves if you let it soak in overnight then run your water or menthol/water in heavy concentrations as you warm it up next start. The longer it soaks and the heavier you apply Seafoam the better your results. No steam preset and you dry out the carbon and weld it back on. It's a simple solvent not snake oil or any other magic potions. It's like concentrated diesel fuel additives but lighter. Carries the flame better in low cetane fuels but no big power gains just cleaning.

I

It's the metal of the ground strap the glows,not from carbon.
I've never used sea foam for storage or varnish removal, but looking at ingredients I highly doubt it does anything there either.
Again.. interesting.. Sorry, I thought you meant carbon deposits on the plug, not the ground strap.

Google search ( ignoring Seafoam's opinions) said it's pretty much as good as Stabil.
https://rxmechanic.com/seafoam-vs-stabil/

Again.. interesting.. Sorry, I thought you meant carbon deposits on the plug, not the ground strap.

Google search ( ignoring Seafoam's opinions) said it's pretty much as good as Stabil.
https://rxmechanic.com/seafoam-vs-stabil/
That article is a lot of words that tell you absolutely nothing other than copying and pasting the advertising BS.
What I will say is that Stabil actually contains components that will stabilize fuel. Seafoam, bot so much.

That article is a lot of words that tell you absolutely nothing other than copying and pasting the advertising BS.
What I will say is that Stabil actually contains components that will stabilize fuel. Seafoam, bot so much.
What about PRI-G? I've heard a lot of good things about it, enough to where I am using it to stabilize 165 gallons of E-free gas for long term storage. I've even heard people have used it to freshen many-years-old gas to get it usable again.

Edit to add: I will say: I'm storing it in steel 55 gallon drums in a dark, cool-ish area, so that probably will be the main reason it stays fresh.

What about PRI-G? I've heard a lot of good things about it, enough to where I am using it to stabilize 165 gallons of E-free gas for long term storage. I've even heard people have used it to freshen many-years-old gas to get it usable again.

Edit to add: I will say: I'm storing it in steel 55 gallon drums in a dark, cool-ish area, so that probably will be the main reason it stays fresh.

I've never heard of it.
Nothing and I mean nothing will make stale gas fresh. Once the light ends boil off and the rest oxidizes you can't make it better.
Fuel stored in well sealed steel containers does last longer. Any particular reason for having that much gas on hand?

Latest posts

Back