Odd things I have seen this week

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had a Stihl FS90R that wound the plastic insert around the drive shaft. It had melted the plastic to the shaft. Looked like when you wring out a wash cloth. Could not get them apart, and had to drive it out of the tube.

Had a MS201TC with the complaint losing power in the cut. The sprocket had actually separated from the drum.

Seen anything different lately ?

Well, it's been raining for about a week, so no fun to be had in the bush/stuff to break.

Where was the failure on the FS90R? I have a KM90 that's getting long in the tooth and starting to lose power. Good time to take it apart and check everything.

Strange things show up from time to time! No pics, this was before cell phones were widespread and were still using fiche cards to look up parts. A woodcutter brought in an old big blue Homelite with a bow, he had tied an oil can (the kind that you pull the trigger to pump the oil) to the front handle to oil the chain.
A home mechanic had bought a deck belt or his riding mower because it had thrown the belt. I believe it was a Murray brand machine with those "different" belt numbers not available at all stores at that time. He made several trips back with a ruined belt and told William (the owner of the shop) that he had give him the wrong belt. After replacing the belt free two or three times William finally told the customer to being the mower in. Come to find out a sweet gum ball was lodged in a pulley grove! We sold only Toro mowers but kept all the belts, spindle bearings, jack shafts and other assorted wear parts for MTD and Murray machines as it was good business fixing the lower tier mowers. We also supported most of the loggers in the surrounding area.
When I started working there, he sold Pioneer chain saws, then switched to Husqvarna and finally to Stihl as the loggers changed. Always stayed with Toro lawn equipment.

Well, it's been raining for about a week, so no fun to be had in the bush/stuff to break.

Where was the failure on the FS90R? I have a KM90 that's getting long in the tooth and starting to lose power. Good time to take it apart and check everything.

It was fine. Just had to replace the inner shaft and the plastic liner that had tied themselves in a knot some way that confounds me.

Check your valves on your KM. Spin your flywheel until the arrow on the flywheel points to the bottom screw on the ignition module. Rock it back and forth and if you don.t see any movement set your valves. If the valves move you need to turn it another complete turn and get the arrow back on the screw. 4 thousandths I think closest non metric equivalent. They have a feeler gauge specifically for it because it has to be pretty narrow. Your Stihl dealer will have one, they come with a kit that includes a new valve cover gasket.
Eventually depending on the oil you are using they can get deposits on the valves and valve stems and need to be taken apart and cleaned. More often than not everything else has worn out before that. But, if your is in good shape it is not hard to do. A dremel tool with brush and I usually clean the valve seats with a straight dental pic .

It was fine. Just had to replace the inner shaft and the plastic liner that had tied themselves in a knot some way that confounds me.

Check your valves on your KM. Spin your flywheel until the arrow on the flywheel points to the bottom screw on the ignition module. Rock it back and forth and if you don.t see any movement set your valves. If the valves move you need to turn it another complete turn and get the arrow back on the screw. 4 thousandths I think closest non metric equivalent. They have a feeler gauge specifically for it because it has to be pretty narrow. Your Stihl dealer will have one, they come with a kit that includes a new valve cover gasket.
Eventually depending on the oil you are using they can get deposits on the valves and valve stems and need to be taken apart and cleaned. More often than not everything else has worn out before that. But, if your is in good shape it is not hard to do. A dremel tool with brush and I usually clean the valve seats with a straight dental pic .
I just cut a regular feeler with scissors and it works fine.

Oops, I'd assumed the same engine! KM90 is a 2-stroke.

Back