OEM vs. AM

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OEM or Aftermarket

• OEM

Votes: 14 93.3%
  • Aftermarket

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
If I fix up a saw for myself I'm not too particular about the parts I use as long as they work, but of course some of my own saws eventually get sold. I have about a half dozen saws that I've had over 10 years, even some of my "keepers" are gone..

When I'm building a saw to sell I will try to use all OEM, if I can't then I tell the customer what AM parts it has. When I build a saw for meself then I will try to build with all OEM but will use AM parts.
I do see that one, I never consider selling anything. But if I was buying a second hand saw I would prefer it all to be OEM.

If you can't add anything constructive to this thread,move on please.
I'm just commenting like everybody else, I do that for any thread in this forum if I have something to say about it. I might had a beer, I sometimes do.
Would you please explain to me what you reacted negatively to, and exactly why - since I am the only person in this thread you have actually dismissed?
Im kinda puzzled, most threads in here you'll find all sorts of comments and conversations no matter what the thread is actually about.
I have actually never seen anyone - myself included, being dismissed by the thread starter.
So what does this thread - or "my" comments; "different" your lordship sir?

I'm just commenting like everybody else, I do that for any thread in this forum if I have something to say about it. I might had a beer, I sometimes do.
Would you please explain to me what you reacted negatively to, and exactly why - since I am the only person in this thread you have actually dismissed?
Im kinda puzzled, most threads in here you'll find all sorts of comments and conversations no matter what the thread is actually about.
I have actually never seen anyone - myself included, being dismissed by the thread starter.
So what does this thread - or "my" comments; "different" your lordship sir?
Forgive me

Forgive me
I hope you will forgive me too sir.
If I was to buy a second hand saw, I would want it to be original - preferably not touched with a screwdriver by non certified personnel at all.
However, if I was to refurbish a second hand saw to use myself - for the rest of my life, I would not buy a crankshaft at 450 dollas, or a cylinder at 250 for it.
Certainly not an original plastic part at 3 times what its worth, compared to a well copied plastic part made in the same plastic.

But of course, if it is a really nice looking saw and you bought it cheap lets say 300 dollas, perhaps buying an OEM cylinder at 250 would be worth it.
That saw have now cost you 550 dollars, put a few additional OEM parts in it that might be a good idea to replace when youre at it and you're at 600 dollas.
If a brand new one is at 800 that better be a really nice looking barely used saw for me to buy that instead of a brand new one directly from the store.

Back