off season business

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Matt, my budget is about 10% of that. The Lowe's idea is probably where I'll go unless I can find a used one locally. I like the Husky superjunior, and I think vertical is the way to go.

I'm thinking of taking it to the job when doing bigger tree removals just to make handling the wood easier from forwarding to loading. If the wood is ultimately going to be split anyways, why not start the process right on the job site? Is anybody doing this already? Seems like it would streamline the process. I'm not talking about splitting it right down to firewood size, but just into chunks one man can throw in the truck.

:hmm3grin2orange: Shure, that way yur stiener could actually pick something up, and the homeowner would get good laugh out of it too.

Do not reply

... now if only you could find a meth house that would take firewood in change, you, johnboy and cousin lee would be in heaven!! lol.

Do you have any basis for making a comment like that or are you just a retarded internet jackwaggon? It's posters like you that downgrade the conversation here into garbage. Regardless of your business or tree skills you are a loser who has nothing of value to add to this conversation and I'm going to ask you to leave it now. If this forum had moderation in it you would get at least a week off for an ad homonym attack on another poster.

If the wood is ultimately going to be split anyways, why not start the process right on the job site?

How about this... Because you are paying your crew and if you are in the tree business the money is in doing tree work. Get the job done get the wood out and move on, repeat as many times as possible. Save the wood splitting for down time when there is no work to do.

Do you have any basis for making a comment like that or are you just a retarded internet jackwaggon? It's posters like you that downgrade the conversation here into garbage. Regardless of your business or tree skills you are a loser who has nothing of value to add to this conversation and I'm going to ask you to leave it now. If this forum had moderation in it you would get at least a week off for an ad homonym attack on another poster.

What's a "homonym", is that the noise johnboy makes while servicing you, or something? :)

This is the first year I've stockpiled wood for splitting. I've got a good bit of Locust, Cherry, and Oak piled up to be split. I don't have a splitter but if this works out OK this Winter I'll probably invest in one. You mentioned "Cord King" what are some other splitters that you can reccomend?

Splitters like timber wolf are gonna be top of the line but for starting out a lowes or hope depot special might do the trick with a much smaller investment. A cord king can hit the wallet pretty hard I'm not 100% sure what their going for but i think you can invest 15-20 thousand in one in a hurry.

Husky is okay for homeonwer or tight budget. But I honestly would spend the cash on an American CLS or TimberWolfe. I have American with 8hp Honda 16 gpm pump and four way wedge. The machine has a legitimate 10 second cycle time. Between the speed and the four way it is so much fast then a POS mtd or husky splitter.

Husky is okay for homeonwer or tight budget. But I honestly would spend the cash on an American CLS or TimberWolfe. I have American with 8hp Honda 16 gpm pump and four way wedge. The machine has a legitimate 10 second cycle time. Between the speed and the four way it is so much fast then a POS mtd or husky splitter.

My ax has a faster cycle time then your American. For about 30 minutes

Just another service to offer ...

How about this... Because you are paying your crew and if you are in the tree business the money is in doing tree work. Get the job done get the wood out and move on, repeat as many times as possible. Save the wood splitting for down time when there is no work to do.

That is the way I have always operated, but this whole thing is a result of my crew wanting to have more work in the lean months which just happen to be the best time for messing about with firewood. In my operation, which is admittedly small time, I've often had to quarter the big rounds just to be able to manhandle them into the truck. Wouldn't it be easier and more efficient to quarter them with a splitter? I've already got the crew there, and if the wood will eventually be split for resale why not start it right on site? And I'm serious about selling it back to the homeowner, then I don't even have to haul it.

I was checking out the Super Split machines, those things look pretty cool.. a little dangerous perhaps, but we're only talking about johnboy and cousin lee here, so no biggie.

Is anyone else finding that when a certain person contributes to a thread it instantly turns laughable? Isn't this area for the real tree guys? Just curious. Don't get me wrong I like to laugh, but EVERY thread...common!

That is the way I have always operated, but this whole thing is a result of my crew wanting to have more work in the lean months which just happen to be the best time for messing about with firewood. In my operation, which is admittedly small time, I've often had to quarter the big rounds just to be able to manhandle them into the truck. Wouldn't it be easier and more efficient to quarter them with a splitter? I've already got the crew there, and if the wood will eventually be split for resale why not start it right on site? And I'm serious about selling it back to the homeowner, then I don't even have to haul it.

That entire theory makes no sense to me, for what you are going to be paying your crew for being on the job site the extra time you going to loose money, not make money. No one is going to pay you good money to buy their wood back from you. The truth be known there is not a ton of money in firewood unless you do a ton of firewood. Clean up cuts in to the profits enough as it is why make it worse by losing more money with a slow HO splitter paying your guys to run it.

If it's during winter down time why not build one. Easy to build and you can make your own specs instead of having to compromise between money and features.

Is anyone else finding that when a certain person contributes to a thread it instantly turns laughable? Isn't this area for the real tree guys? Just curious. Don't get me wrong I like to laugh, but EVERY thread...common!

I pointed it out a few threads ago when that certain person complained about people bashing him. Every time he makes one of his fact-less nonsensical statements its spins out of control then he points at everyone else.

Husky is okay for homeonwer or tight budget. But I honestly would spend the cash on an American CLS or TimberWolfe.

I agree. But like I said the husky was a great way to get my feet wet with the firewood. Hell 8 years later it still splits like a beast, not the fastest but for under 2g's I found it to be the best bang for the buck

That entire theory makes no sense to me, for what you are going to be paying your crew for being on the job site the extra time you going to loose money, not make money. No one is going to pay you good money to buy their wood back from you. The truth be known there is not a ton of money in firewood unless you do a ton of firewood. Clean up cuts in to the profits enough as it is why make it worse by losing more money with a slow HO splitter paying your guys to run it.

:agree2:
There's not a whole lot of profit in firewood unless your doing it in very large scale. When you consider how many times it gets handled with bringing it back to the shop, splitting, stacking ( yes - we stack to save on space and pre measure in ricks) season, load up and deliver, the wood has already been handled multiple times. And every time its worth less.

Aerialist, you would lose your tail every time if you were to attempt busting up logs on the job, trust me.. I remember way back when I had no way of moving heavy logs. We used to 2 man wood up onto a trailer with a ball cart. We'd have a tree down in a couple hours and spend the rest of the day ####in around with heavy trunk sections. A lot of slicing and dicing up big wood..What a PIA!! Your best investment would be some way of moving heavy wood, a loader, tractor with loader bucket, a little crane or whatever.

I'm glad you asked ...

:agree2:.. Your best investment would be some way of moving heavy wood, a loader, tractor with loader bucket, a little crane or whatever.

Well I do have this: (in case you missed it)

[video=youtube;Ngj_06h5LCI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ngj_06h5LCI&feature=g-upl[/video]

That was this Summer and I still have all that Cherry wood to split. A lot of the usuals have ragged me for the Steiner but I'd like to know what skid steer could have handled that particular job, as well as many others where tearing up the turf is not an option.

Last edited:
Well I do have this: (in case you missed it)

[video=youtube;Ngj_06h5LCI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ngj_06h5LCI&feature=g-upl[/video]

That was this Summer and I still have all that Cherry wood to split. A lot of the usuals have ragged me for the Steiner but I'd like to know what skid steer could have handled that particular job, as well as many others where tearing up the turf is not an option.

The nicest piece of equipment in that front yard was the camera tripod .. maybe you should be a wedding photographer give your trash man back his shirt and seek another trade ...

Latest posts

Back