off season business

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What did I make up? I shared my opinion of Angies. In my area there are several companies on the list who according to their reviews look like great but have awful reputations

MT.......he still thinks that Angies list is full proof & all "A" rating contractors are the best, He doesnt get that Any one can be on the A list............Its like the BBB, I know a certain company that has an A rating but when you look up his complaint record there are several............Now how can that be, some are unresolved!!! Its cause that contractor is a paying member....!

I get emails just about every day asking me to join A List, 40% discount even.............IDK...?

LXT..........

The reason is he is a big bull####ter and when he opens his mouth and gives advice he is usually wrong. What he sometimes says is so wrong that he needs to be corrected or at least the people getting his advice need to be given better info.
Heres just a few... Feel free to add to the list of things I am missing.

1. Spiking Trims (enough said)
  2. Ice Axe in a Tree (really!)
  3. Cementing a cavity (Fred Flenstone Tree Service)
  4. Steiner for a loader/material handler (mini skid maybe?)
  5. Splitting during a takedown and selling back to HO (ROFL)
  6. ETC. ETC. ETC.

I've been trying to stay out of this, but what the heck, I'm gonna put my 2 cents in. I don't know the Aerialist and I don't know you guys for that matter either, but I always try to give people the benefit of the doubt. I'll give the Aerialist credit for thinking outside of the box. It sounds from one of his posts that he learned from an old school tree guy, which is probably where he gets some of his ideas from. It blows me away how many people are still spiking during a prune job and topping trees. I still see a lot of companies advertising topping on their websites. These where common practices back in the day. Thanks to research from people like Dr Shigo, we now know that these practices and many others like sealing wounds and filling cavities with cement are wrong. Hopefully the people still doing these practices are not too thick headed to be educated with up to date arboriculture practices. Possibly the worst thing about people still doing this kind of work is the fact that they are telling the home owners that this is ok. The home owners are then misinformed and it makes it more difficult to re-educate these people. The fact that the contractors that are doing it right have to bid against people doing these practices is our biggest challenge. My suggestion for these old school tree guys who have not updated their practices is to pick up a copy of the ISA arborist study guide and read through it. This will give you a good foundation for which to go by for the present standards.
As for the tractor and log splitter idea, if your company is as profitable as you say it is, then I would suggest either a mini loader or an ASV 30 with turf tracks. I used to use an ATV to haul a lot of my slash before I bought a mini. With a tractor or ATV, you still need to handle the material many more times and with more guys than you would if you just had a mini. There would also be no need to split the wood into smaller pieces because the mini would be able to pick up the larger rounds.
I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes here, but the more I learn, the more I realize I still have a lot to learn. Education combined with knowing how to properly apply what you learn is a good building block to success.

See there's where you and this donkey differ.

You realize there's alot left to learn and you're willing to take the time to do so.

This mentioned donkey comes on here telling us he's a great tree man that was a lead climber for 4 other companies, has 40 years experience can climb like a monkey and owns a very successful premier business in Pittsburgh called Aerial Arborist .
Come to find out, he's counting getting a kite out of a tree 38 years ago, probably got fired from the other comapnies cause he sucks, hasn't left the comfort of the tree trunk or climbed without spikes. He's so successful he bought a $20,000 wheelbarrow but when his truck broke down it almost put him out of business and now the chipper, uh oh. Talks like he can give anybody advice on climbing techniques but can barely get up a tree and has been working soley off of luck so far.

We just want to make sure everybody takes his advice with a grain or a gallon of salt.

I've been trying to stay out of this, but what the heck, I'm gonna put my 2 cents in. I don't know the Aerialist and I don't know you guys for that matter either, but I always try to give people the benefit of the doubt. I'll give the Aerialist credit for thinking outside of the box. It sounds from one of his posts that he learned from an old school tree guy, which is probably where he gets some of his ideas from. It blows me away how many people are still spiking during a prune job and topping trees. I still see a lot of companies advertising topping on their websites. These where common practices back in the day. Thanks to research from people like Dr Shigo, we now know that these practices and many others like sealing wounds and filling cavities with cement are wrong. Hopefully the people still doing these practices are not too thick headed to be educated with up to date arboriculture practices. Possibly the worst thing about people still doing this kind of work is the fact that they are telling the home owners that this is ok. The home owners are then misinformed and it makes it more difficult to re-educate these people. The fact that the contractors that are doing it right have to bid against people doing these practices is our biggest challenge. My suggestion for these old school tree guys who have not updated their practices is to pick up a copy of the ISA arborist study guide and read through it. This will give you a good foundation for which to go by for the present standards.
As for the tractor and log splitter idea, if your company is as profitable as you say it is, then I would suggest either a mini loader or an ASV 30 with turf tracks. I used to use an ATV to haul a lot of my slash before I bought a mini. With a tractor or ATV, you still need to handle the material many more times and with more guys than you would if you just had a mini. There would also be no need to split the wood into smaller pieces because the mini would be able to pick up the larger rounds.
I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes here, but the more I learn, the more I realize I still have a lot to learn. Education combined with knowing how to properly apply what you learn is a good building block to success.

so if I am reading this right your saying "hey Airiest educate yourself get with the times because your wrong"

so if I am reading this right your saying "hey Airiest educate yourself get with the times because your wrong"

I've been unaware of the long term history with said member, but yes, in a diplomatic way I am saying he needs to get a clue. Looks like I just dragged myself into this. I think its for a good cause though as these practices need to be eradicated from our field.

Well he is a nice guy.

MT.......he still thinks that Angies list is full proof & all "A" rating contractors are the best, He doesnt get that Any one can be on the A list............Its like the BBB, I know a certain company that has an A rating but when you look up his complaint record there are several............Now how can that be, some are unresolved!!! Its cause that contractor is a paying member....!

I get emails just about every day asking me to join A List, 40% discount even.............IDK...?

LXT..........

Angies List!? Angies List!!!??? ANGIES LIST !!!! ??? Who the Hell is Angie anyway.

That is the way I have always operated, but this whole thing is a result of my crew wanting to have more work in the lean months which just happen to be the best time for messing about with firewood. In my operation, which is admittedly small time, I've often had to quarter the big rounds just to be able to manhandle them into the truck. Wouldn't it be easier and more efficient to quarter them with a splitter? I've already got the crew there, and if the wood will eventually be split for resale why not start it right on site? And I'm serious about selling it back to the homeowner, then I don't even have to haul it.

Pork what!!??

I, myself, have gotten calls about people wanting me to TD and split it. This is just to much for my little mind.

Really, if a client wants me to do something like that or mentions they will rent a splitter I lend them mine. Trust me, I know the ramifications of doing that and its worth it.

What did that idiot say? Split rounds to load!? Split rounds to load!!?? SPLIT ROUNDS TO LOAD!!! ???

THE N IS NEAR.

I, myself, have gotten calls about people wanting me to TD and split it.

I get this every now and then. I tell em flat out - look if you really want it done I'll send a couple guys back here on the weekend and its THIS$ per hour for 2 guys and the splitter. Some people go for it and some figure out that its just cheaper to have us deliver them seasoned wood..

What kind of logging does he do? It's funny my cousin who lives in the QC , we have some timbered land together on the skunk river. Awesome deer hunting, but we have been thinking about having some logging done. I wish I could haul it all back up to my lot, but that's a pipe dream w/ a 9 hr drive :( for me.

Not sure the Q Brook, He has buyers call him and ask for this or that type of wood and how many board feet, He jumps on his quad, goes and finds one, then they come, look at it, yes or no, then he lays it over and grabs his BIG MONSTER tractor and drags the whole thing out. He has some real nice stuff out down there. Big monster hickory's and a lot of cherry, walnut and oak. All the cut offs are turned into firewood. He don't have any real logging equipment, all farm stuff, but it does the job. He uses one of those great big tractors that have 8 wheels on it, 2 on each corner. I seen that thing drag a bulldozer that was broke down. Its all pretty old stuff, but he maintains it all like a new born baby! He has a combine that's like 50 years old. Still runs like its new. The buyers are usally furniture makers and builders looking for good trim material for mantels and such.

OMG ~ an on topic post ...

... I have been dabbling with a transition type of Biz & it seems to have picked up @ this time of year, I found that re-graveling drives & spreading the gravel (tailgate/Doze) can be a pretty profitable little sideline in these wet months... I still have some hit & miss tree work but its slowing down some........however, I am surpirsed how many people want/need their driveways repaired...

Now this is a good tip lxt. My neighbor put in a gravel driveway and I helped him by spreading out the gravel with my Steiner after the truck delivered it. Regardless of what you may think about the tractor for tree work, it's ideal for moving and spreading gravel.

Regardless of what you may think about the tractor for tree work, it's ideal for moving and spreading gravel.

To get back off topic... I found the answer for you. Keep your customers happy split on the job site during OP and still make money.

[video=youtube;UulrxwMrKPU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UulrxwMrKPU[/video]

To get back off topic... I found the answer for you. Keep your customers happy split on the job site during OP and still make money.

What the......? A chuck and duck splitter. Who knew?

Regardless of what you may think about the tractor for tree work, it's ideal for moving and spreading gravel.

Ideal? How is a grain scoop with a capacity of 800lbs ideal for gravel work or any other earth work for that matter? That's a statement that might fly in a homeowner forum.
I am still wondering what u think I made up about Angies .. keep in mind that we are on the list and have a very good set of reports

Last edited:
Ideal? How is a grain scoop with a capacity of 800lbs ideal for gravel work or any other earth work for that matter? That's a statement that might fly in a homeowner forum.
I am still wondering what u think I made up about Angies .. keep in mind that we are on the list and have a very good set of reports

You'd be better off going and talking to the tires on your truck , they may have a better understanding of tree work ....

I kinda feel bad for the poor soul who needs to stack it on the other side , that thing looks down right scarey ...

I have a condo complex account that is a lifesaver during the Winter months. Plus I schedule prunes to do through the Winter. I like to do my Oak prunes in the Winter to avoid risk of Oak Wilt.

awesome - I want one

Latest posts

Back