off season business

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Matt, my budget is about 10% of that. The Lowe's idea is probably where I'll go unless I can find a used one locally. I like the Husky superjunior, and I think vertical is the way to go.

I'm thinking of taking it to the job when doing bigger tree removals just to make handling the wood easier from forwarding to loading. If the wood is ultimately going to be split anyways, why not start the process right on the job site? Is anybody doing this already? Seems like it would streamline the process. I'm not talking about splitting it right down to firewood size, but just into chunks one man can throw in the truck.

Because it makes a huge mess , I mean what were you before a cutting edge "arborist" a nail tech or maybe your qualified because you have stayed at a HOLIDAY INN recently , and I am sure your customers want that tree gone ASAP especially after buyers regret of hiring 2/3 of the 3 stooges ....

YOU are the Stooge Lardo ...

... after buyers regret of hiring 2/3 of the 3 stooges ....

I've gotten 55 reviews of my work from my Angie's List customers and they are all straight "A"s with the exception of two that gave me a "B" rating for pricing. That is out of 330 possible A through F grades on all elements of my work. Following the letter grades ALL my customers have followed up with very positive review in their own words, and they ALL have indicated that they would hire me again.

So regardless of what lardo thinks, the people that count, my customers, are very happy with the work I have done for them.

Last edited:
I've gotten 55 reviews of my work from my Angie's List customers and they are all straight "A"s with the exception of two that gave me a "B" rating for pricing. That is out of 330 possible A through F grades on all elements of my work. Following the letter grades ALL my customers have followed up with very positive review in their own words, and they ALL have indicated that they would hire me again.

So regardless of what lardo thinks, the people that count, my customers, are very happy with the work I have done for them.

" Let your haters be your motivators"

Well I do have this: (in case you missed it)

Was that a chuck and duck chipper on the road. I would have edited that out of the video if your showing off your equipment. That Steiner is pretty nice I think I saw Bill Murray using one on Caddy Shack to chase gophers.

What goes around comes around ...

" Let your haters be your motivators"

Nice quote treeclimber, and that does work for me here, and keeps me coming back when so many would like to chase me off, but in my business my motivation is to keep my phenomenal success with my customers going. On Angie's List you're only as good as your last review so now, with so many excellent reviews behind me, I am very keen on keeping that going. I work hard at making every customer a satisfied customer and so far they have been. My customers are my motivators, not the losers posting here.

What is posted here has very little to do with my success or my happiness. I'm my own man, self made, and I don't need anything from the particular group of haters here I have named the "#### clique". I rather enjoy giving out the ##### slaps to the #### clique when they jump in with their retarded comments. As long as the personal attacks continue I will ignore most but single out some for a well deserved thrashing.

Wouldn't this be a great forum if we could discuss tree work like adults?

Not for nuthin but that Steiner video was pretty cool IMO. Be nicer if it had a grapple, but pretty cool nevertheless. I would have dropped yam on step number 4 while trying to get a wheelbarrow of chunks uphill.

Not for nuthin but that Steiner video was pretty cool IMO. Be nicer if it had a grapple, but pretty cool nevertheless. I would have dropped yam on step number 4 while trying to get a wheelbarrow of chunks uphill.

I've gotten a lot of flack for that tractor here but it has worked out well in my business. My crew loves it and it is a blast to drive. It's like a super wheelbarrow and can go anywhere. I have a one ton cart that can pull an amazing amount of brush out of locations that would be impossible for other machines. That video was just one example. Here's another:

[video=youtube;gkdze25oxU8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkdze25oxU8[/video]

Last edited:
Nice quote treeclimber, and that does work for me here, and keeps me coming back when so many would like to chase me off, but in my business my motivation is to keep my phenomenal success with my customers going. On Angie's List you're only as good as your last review so now, with so many excellent reviews behind me, I am very keen on keeping that going. I work hard at making every customer a satisfied customer and so far they have been. My customers are my motivators, not the losers posting here.

What is posted here has very little to do with my success or my happiness. I'm my own man, self made, and I don't need anything from the particular group of haters here I have named the "#### clique". I rather enjoy giving out the ##### slaps to the #### clique when they jump in with their retarded comments. As long as the personal attacks continue I will ignore most but single out some for a well deserved thrashing.

Wouldn't this be a great forum if we could discuss tree work like adults?

Aerial Mason- as one adult to another, all I can say is do it your way and tell us what your gross margin is at the end of the day. If all you want to do is reduce the size of the wood so as to get on your trailer, I have a tool I've been using for many years and has never let me down. I call it a "chainsaw". I hope you ignore everyone's advice and try it you way. We can only learn from our mistakes.

We are all self made men ...

Each of us are self made. Those of you lucky enough to have been born into a Family with Money and Values have, or most likely will, inherit some of both. But even that is not a sure thing. I know of many people who had it all at birth, born with a silver spoon as is often said, and they, feeling they had it made, never made anything of themselves. I suspect that there are many in that category posting here now. If your Father started a tree service and did all the hard start-up work, then handed it to you on a silver platter you got quite a head start compared to someone (like your Father) who had to put it all together on their own. This isn't a bad thing as long as you also acquired some values as well. The true measure of a man is how he treats others, especially those in a subordinate position. If you treat others like bums then you are a bum. I consider many of you losers because of this simple measure. The way the chatter goes on this site shows me that many of you are losers and bums regardless of your business or tree work skills. So flame me all you like because in doing so you are revealing your true nature. Real men are polite to others, washed up wanna-be's lash out and attack others because it makes them feel superior. You are not superior if this is your modus operendi, you are a lamer with nothing of value to add to any discussion.

I started out getting back into climbing by getting a job with a tree service here in Pittsburgh as a groundie for a year and a half. It was a Family owned business for over 60 years and the current owner (Mr. "B") was 74 years old. His Son, a 50 something drunk, was the "bucket queen" and couldn't have held a job anywhere else. Unlike many of you however he was a pretty nice guy, and never abused anyone. The hired climber (my Mentor) ran the show. Although it was a multi-million dollar operation it was totally old school. They didn't have a loader of any kind, not a BobCat or even a backhoe, the business relied on the backs of their laborers to load the trucks. The Old Man could have bought the best there is out of his pocket, but he didn't.

One job in particular was a huge Oak, easily 4~5' in diameter for 30 or 40' of trunk and the rounds were just too big to load by hand. The climber brought his splitter (which could lay right down horizontally on the ground) and we rolled the big rounds up on it and split them into manageable pieces. This was far faster than cutting them up across the grain with chainsaws. We were able to dolly them up a ramp into the truck. It was this experience that led me to think that a splitter might be a good addition to my gear. Especially since now, as in this thread, I am considering selling firewood as an off season business. Sure it would be great just to buy a nice grapple truck and forget about woodchucking firewood to make it through the Winter but that is not where I am at right now so I've got to figure a way to stay alive over the slow season and selling firewood might be it.

A "multi million dollar" operation without a loader?? Come on old man, you fibbing just a little bit again? it's okay man, you can talk about it, we realize you have a problem.. I am putting out the virtual tissue box for you here, please share..

i sell fire wood over 100 cords a year have had many splitters over the last 37 years i like the iron&oak fast cycle other then that winter pruning and snow with skid steers i do the local stop&shop it takes 10 hrs with 3 skid steers rest

Each of us are self made. Those of you lucky enough to have been born into a Family with Money and Values have, or most likely will, inherit some of both. But even that is not a sure thing. I know of many people who had it all at birth, born with a silver spoon as is often said, and they, feeling they had it made, never made anything of themselves. I suspect that there are many in that category posting here now. If your Father started a tree service and did all the hard start-up work, then handed it to you on a silver platter you got quite a head start compared to someone (like your Father) who had to put it all together on their own. This isn't a bad thing as long as you also acquired some values as well. The true measure of a man is how he treats others, especially those in a subordinate position. If you treat others like bums then you are a bum. I consider many of you losers because of this simple measure. The way the chatter goes on this site shows me that many of you are losers and bums regardless of your business or tree work skills. So flame me all you like because in doing so you are revealing your true nature. Real men are polite to others, washed up wanna-be's lash out and attack others because it makes them feel superior. You are not superior if this is your modus operendi, you are a lamer with nothing of value to add to any discussion.

I started out getting back into climbing by getting a job with a tree service here in Pittsburgh as a groundie for a year and a half. It was a Family owned business for over 60 years and the current owner (Mr. "B") was 74 years old. His Son, a 50 something drunk, was the "bucket queen" and couldn't have held a job anywhere else. Unlike many of you however he was a pretty nice guy, and never abused anyone. The hired climber (my Mentor) ran the show. Although it was a multi-million dollar operation it was totally old school. They didn't have a loader of any kind, not a BobCat or even a backhoe, the business relied on the backs of their laborers to load the trucks. The Old Man could have bought the best there is out of his pocket, but he didn't.

One job in particular was a huge Oak, easily 4~5' in diameter for 30 or 40' of trunk and the rounds were just too big to load by hand. The climber brought his splitter (which could lay right down horizontally on the ground) and we rolled the big rounds up on it and split them into manageable pieces. This was far faster than cutting them up across the grain with chainsaws. We were able to dolly them up a ramp into the truck. It was this experience that led me to think that a splitter might be a good addition to my gear. Especially since now, as in this thread, I am considering selling firewood as an off season business. Sure it would be great just to buy a nice grapple truck and forget about woodchucking firewood to make it through the Winter but that is not where I am at right now so I've got to figure a way to stay alive over the slow season and selling firewood might be it.

This rediculous babbling bull#### only proves you aren't paying attention and think you have it all figured out. You are unteacheable and came on here claiming you were going to teach ALL of us! GTFOOH.

This rediculous babbling bull#### only proves you aren't paying attention and think you have it all figured out. You are unteacheable and came on here claiming you were going to teach ALL of us! GTFOOH.

can ya tell me what GTFOOH means so I can laugh .....

Latest posts

Back