off season business

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After reading all of mr. Asinine's posts about Angie's list I looked up a bunch of companies in my area...very discourageing, there are tons of companies with "A" ratings, who are barely qualified to rake leaves let alone do do tree work. One in particular has an awful reputation, been investigated several times for targeting the elderly and has had many serious accidents . If you go by Angie's list he sounds like a great choice. We used to be proud of our ratings on Angies, now it seems everyone can get "A"s on it.

Last edited:
After reading all of mr. Asinine's posts about Angie's list I look up a bunch of companies in my area...very discourageing, there are tons of companies with "A" ratings, who are barely qualified to rake leaves let alone do do tree work. One in particular has an awful reputation, been investigated several times for targeting the elderly and has had many serious accidents . If you go by Angie's list he sounds like a great choice. We used to be proud of our ratings on Angies, now it seems everyone can get "A"s on it.

Not to mention the 10 emails that I get from them daily , basically begging me to join if its a site worth its salt then they wouldn't have to beg me, I would be begging them ....Its all a gimmick and he's a prime example ... But were also talking about his upgrade from CL to angies list

Balderdash!

... We used to be proud of our ratings on Angies, now it seems everyone can get "A"s on it.

The only way you can get an "A" on any of the six categories where a letter grade is assigned (there are no "A" contractors) is if a customer gives you one. Why you would spend any time at all making things up about how Angie's List operates is beyond me. Is it that important to you to try to discredit me?

Thank you, I try hard to be ...

... Seriously though, you're really good at being annoying... I mean is that like your strong suit in life or something? I'm not kidding, I really wanna know??

Being very annoying is a skill I developed as a counter to being annoyed. I've always been a great counter puncher because I've learned to let my opponent make the first move. Liability issues can come into play, especially if hospitalization is required. I'm so cheap that if I trash you I'll make you pay for the ambulance ride.

To really know how annoying I can be you'd have to meet me face to face. I'm really a sweet old gentleman to most who meet me, you can ask those who have. Of course I'm not very tolerant of those who disrespect me, I never really have been, and I don't suffer fools lightly in real life either, but I'm gracious enough to just walk away when I can.

This forum I have chosen not to walk away from, free speech and all that.

AA, not to be cruel.........But you can rent a self propelled wheel barrow for jobs like that, a large one too. the rental place locally has a "muck truck" I think thats what its called, used it many times to move Versa Lok in just such tight areas as you have there, rents for a little over $150.00 for the day.

Im thinking as often as you would use one it would be better to rent? NO? its a nice unit! Hell even the toro Dingo track machine would of gotten in there! theres alot of options for stuff like that!

LXT................

Aerial Mason- fire wood is hard dollar to make for a part-timer. The Winters in your area are not that bad. With your sales ability and sterling reputation, you should be able to sell plenty of work to keep you busy. Just because its cold doesn't mean you can't climb.

Is my tractor a problem for you?

... you can rent a self propelled wheel barrow for jobs like that... rents for a little over $150.00 for the day. I'm thinking as often as you would use one it would be better to rent? NO? ...

If I rented something like that once a week it would be $600 a month. I use the Steiner more than once a week, some weeks every day. Besides I like it, and it's fun to drive. I bought an airplane once because I liked it. It didn't make me any money and it cost me more than $600 a month to keep it hangered and maintained. It was fun to drive too. What's the problem here?

I'm new. But I can't hope to notice that every thread turns into aerialist attention city. If everyone hates him so much, why all the attention?

This thread was about off season business and is now about what kind of tractor some guy has. Who cares if he says his company is worth 10 billion and he rides to work on a unicorn that ####s rainbows.

If you don't like the guy, want him to leave, ignore the guy. You can't run around saying you hate drama- you're just perpetuating drama.

I'm new to the arborist deal, but have done quite well in other endevours. I didn't do well giving a #### about what others claimed they could do, or spent their money on. In fact, if they did ridiculous things I was just thankful and moved on. I certainly do not try to convince them other wise - that's not only a waste of time but bad business.

Sorry to vent, but I can't imagine I'm the only one here to learn without sifting through 3 pages of bickering about some guys Steiner. (btw. Had one for snow removal and the thing was a beast and had some cool implements, way cheaper than a trackless)

Aerial Mason ~ I like it, maybe I'll join the Masonic Lodge ...

Aerial Mason- fire wood is hard dollar to make for a part-timer. The Winters in your area are not that bad. With your sales ability and sterling reputation, you should be able to sell plenty of work to keep you busy. Just because its cold doesn't mean you can't climb.

You know you may be right. I'm booked up right now with work that will take me through January and I just got two more inquiries today. I'm going to be in a full page color ad, the "Honor Roll" of top rated contractors, in the February A-List print magazine that goes out to 30,000 Pittsburgh members in February. Then there's always the chance of a damaging Winter storm to pump the business. With any luck that will come in the first week of February, just as my print ad hits. I shouldn't worry about this, but I've got tons of Locust, Cherry and Oak, all big rounds that I need to get rid of and men who want to split it for me. What would you suggest?

Welcome to Tree Wars!

I'm new. But I can't hope to notice that every thread turns into aerialist attention city. If everyone hates him so much, why all the attention? ... If you don't like the guy, want him to leave, ignore the guy. You can't run around saying you hate drama- you're just perpetuating drama... Sorry to vent, but I can't imagine I'm the only one here to learn without sifting through 3 pages of bickering about some guys Steiner. (btw. Had one for snow removal and the thing was a beast and had some cool implements, way cheaper than a trackless)

I've requested that people here put me on "ignore" if they don't like my posts. I don't even like my posts (when responding to the d i c k clique) but I refuse to be squelched by the lamers that inhabit this forum. I try to ignore them myself and most times do but I do on occasion pick one out to abuse in a like fashion. If this forum had a moderator the people that post such rubbish would get banned, but alas we must deal with them ourselves. If more posters like you complained about it maybe the d i c k clique would change their ways, but I doubt it. It will take someone with the power to hand out vacations to offenders before this forum will ever be cleaned up.

You ought to check out "Treepedo" he is up near Toronto and an excellent Arborist and tree man. He doesn't post much, I'm sure because of the same complaints you have about the trash talking that pollutes these threads. I should probably just get a snow blower for my Steiner and forget about splitting wood.

It's okay if you are a gay too, there are more and more of them "coming out" of the closet these days!

And if you are having a problem digesting our #### talking, maybe you should stick to the sheep.. and you are going to have to be a lot tougher to make it in the trees! just saying, man!

I don't have a problem digesting it. It just seems like a waste arguing on the Internet. It also makes it hard to find useful information on the board. Your use of the word gay amuses me. It's a good indicative of your intellect and language skills.

Anyways. I'm done in this thread. Was just a comment in passing. I'll come back to this thread if it sways back to being relevant to my life.

My cousin is a logger, he lives here in the QC but out in the boonies, south of the area, he does a insane amount of firewood, has a old dude with a speedco 25 ton like mine, old dude does nothing but split everyday, all day. His pile of wood is huge. He works from Nov to March, delivering wood. Has a client list a mile long. So.......I think if you get a little system figured out, you can do well. Keeping all old clients, adding new every year. He has to do real good, built a new home 2 years ago, and just bought a New F-350 diesel. He is hillbilly tho, real hillbilly! I turned him on too this site. Should be interesting, don't bash him to much, no real education, but he can "get er dun" He quit school in the 8th grade to work a farm after his dad had a stroke, never went back, never needed to. Farm has a bout 1000 acres, 300 acres are woods, he pulls out some real nice timber that he sales to specific buyers for custom woodworking. Also, were he gets his firewood at. I only go down there once a year to pic up some deer sausage, always bring him my broken saws and such, wizard with mechanics. The other thing he does in the winter , that I thought about, he sells wood stoves. He gets them from all over, free or real cheap. Then restores them and will even install them. He will not run the chimney, "ya gots to get yur guy own fur that" He was giving a stove that he restored and resold for 3g's. It was real old and you could use it to cook a full meal, even had a spot off to the side to warm gloves and such, it was really cool, about 100 years old. He don't sell a ton of them but said that he pays for Christmas every year, and he has 5 kids! Don't think he buys them shoes tho! I have never seen them shoes or shirts on, like wild little hillbillys running around in the wood! Every time I go there I hear the dueling banjo's going in my head, I love him tho, he is great to get ya grounded, has this uncanny way of putting serous situations into perspective. "well its better than being hit in the head with a rock"

My cousin is a logger, he lives here in the QC but out in the boonies, south of the area, he does a insane amount of firewood, has a old dude with a speedco 25 ton like mine, old dude does nothing but split everyday, all day. His pile of wood is huge. He works from Nov to March, delivering wood. Has a client list a mile long. So.......I think if you get a little system figured out, you can do well. Keeping all old clients, adding new every year. He has to do real good, built a new home 2 years ago, and just bought a New F-350 diesel. He is hillbilly tho, real hillbilly! I turned him on too this site. Should be interesting, don't bash him to much, no real education, but he can "get er dun" He quit school in the 8th grade to work a farm after his dad had a stroke, never went back, never needed to. Farm has a bout 1000 acres, 300 acres are woods, he pulls out some real nice timber that he sales to specific buyers for custom woodworking. Also, were he gets his firewood at. I only go down there once a year to pic up some deer sausage, always bring him my broken saws and such, wizard with mechanics. The other thing he does in the winter , that I thought about, he sells wood stoves. He gets them from all over, free or real cheap. Then restores them and will even install them. He will not run the chimney, "ya gots to get yur guy own fur that" He was giving a stove that he restored and resold for 3g's. It was real old and you could use it to cook a full meal, even had a spot off to the side to warm gloves and such, it was really cool, about 100 years old. He don't sell a ton of them but said that he pays for Christmas every year, and he has 5 kids! Don't think he buys them shoes tho! I have never seen them shoes or shirts on, like wild little hillbillys running around in the wood! Every time I go there I hear the dueling banjo's going in my head, I love him tho, he is great to get ya grounded, has this uncanny way of putting serous situations into perspective. "well its better than being hit in the head with a rock"

What kind of logging does he do? It's funny my cousin who lives in the QC , we have some timbered land together on the skunk river. Awesome deer hunting, but we have been thinking about having some logging done. I wish I could haul it all back up to my lot, but that's a pipe dream w/ a 9 hr drive :( for me.

If I rented something like that once a week it would be $600 a month. I use the Steiner more than once a week, some weeks every day. Besides I like it, and it's fun to drive. I bought an airplane once because I liked it. It didn't make me any money and it cost me more than $600 a month to keep it hangered and maintained. It was fun to drive too. What's the problem here?

Actually you could buy it for under 3 grand!! which would calculate to a 17 thousand dollar savings (plus) & then buy a new chipper! there is no problem with what you are doing, you asked what other machine could do what yours did & you got an answer!!

Having something that is fun is one thing......But in business you need something practical, Profitable & ability to show a return! Im just saying if you wanna have fun buy a quad............ Ive rented that Muck Truck & its a pretty awesome machine, will do alot of things.......other than cut grass! AA, you could of bought the Muck Truck, a SC252 (used) & a good used chipper for what that beefed up toro cost ya............Then you would have something!!

But hey if the steiner works.......Good for you! But I think there were much wiser options you had to spend over 20 G`s on!!!

Have you ever did the break down on what the Steiner costs you at each job, i.e. monthly payments, re-coup costs, maint, loading & extra travel time, etc... or do you just view it as fun? & have no idea about the cost breakdown? seriously?

LXT...............

Last edited:
Welp heading out..... I have been dabbling with a transition type of Biz & it seems to have picked up @ this time of year, I found that re-graveling drives & spreading the gravel (tailgate/Doze) can be a pretty profitable little sideline in these wet months.

I still have some hit & miss tree work but its slowing down some........however, I am surpirsed how many people want/need their driveways repaired.

LXT..........

I'm new. But I can't hope to notice that every thread turns into aerialist attention city. If everyone hates him so much, why all the attention?

This thread was about off season business and is now about what kind of tractor some guy has. Who cares if he says his company is worth 10 billion and he rides to work on a unicorn that ####s rainbows.

If you don't like the guy, want him to leave, ignore the guy. You can't run around saying you hate drama- you're just perpetuating drama.

I'm new to the arborist deal, but have done quite well in other endevours. I didn't do well giving a #### about what others claimed they could do, or spent their money on. In fact, if they did ridiculous things I was just thankful and moved on. I certainly do not try to convince them other wise - that's not only a waste of time but bad business.

Sorry to vent, but I can't imagine I'm the only one here to learn without sifting through 3 pages of bickering about some guys Steiner. (btw. Had one for snow removal and the thing was a beast and had some cool implements, way cheaper than a trackless)

The reason is he is a big bull####ter and when he opens his mouth and gives advice he is usually wrong. What he sometimes says is so wrong that he needs to be corrected or at least the people getting his advice need to be given better info.
Heres just a few... Feel free to add to the list of things I am missing.

1. Spiking Trims (enough said)
  2. Ice Axe in a Tree (really!)
  3. Cementing a cavity (Fred Flenstone Tree Service)
  4. Steiner for a loader/material handler (mini skid maybe?)
  5. Splitting during a takedown and selling back to HO (ROFL)
  6. ETC. ETC. ETC.

The only way you can get an "A" on any of the six categories where a letter grade is assigned (there are no "A" contractors) is if a customer gives you one. Why you would spend any time at all making things up about how Angie's List operates is beyond me. Is it that important to you to try to discredit me?

What did I make up? I shared my opinion of Angies. In my area there are several companies on the list who according to their reviews look like great but have awful reputations

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back