Oil change intervals...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redbull

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Anyone know the oil change interval on a 1992 Model 200 Brush Bandit with a Ford 300 inline six cylinder. Even a rough estimate would be helpful. Thanks.
Brandon

what we use as a starting point if the moter was in a car and you are running at full speed let's say 60 mph (witch your chipper is ) you will have gone 3000 mi. in 40hr. so we change oil at about every 50hr. or so this also workes on bucket trucks with hr. meter

Any other maint. costs I need to figure? I have blades and anvil figured in as well as oil changes. Am I missing anything?

Cap and Rotor , Plugs , Wires ,Air Filter ,Lots of grease and replacement bolts for the knives and such as they get beat up pretty good and stand a good chance of breaking during removal . Check condition of hydraulic hoses ,Check your brakes if you use them , Check bulbs , Flush the Radiator and change antifreeze , Adjust the clutch and belts if needed . Check your tire pressure as well as bearing grease as they are often neglected . May want to check your battery also .Flush your hydraulic system and change the filter as well

ASD said:
what we use as a starting point if the moter was in a car and you are running at full speed let's say 60 mph (witch your chipper is ) you will have gone 3000 mi. in 40hr. so we change oil at about every 50hr. or so this also workes on bucket trucks with hr. meter

So you change your oil every 2 weeks?

DDM said:
So you change your oil every 2 weeks?

Does your chipper run for 25hrs a week? DAMN thats a lot of chipping. I figure on a daily basis it would run an avg. of 1-2hrs max per day unless the whole day was spent chipping.

In my line of work, (Rental)diesel engines in Generators and large CFM air compressors, we go at 250 hrs to a engine serivce and 2000 hours at a overhead (PM, adjust valves, test injectors, replace belts, etc). In my honest opinion, I would not run them near that long if they are being worked hard. 2000hrs is equivilant to 100K miles of highway driving at 60mph, so that is roughly 12.5K to an oil change..... Of coarse most of our larger gens run at 1800rpm, so that isn't as hard on the stuff as 22-2800 rpm.

I'd recommend 100hrs to 125hrs for hard worked engines, if you want them to last. Use a good grade oil and filters. Rotella is one of the better 15W-40 diesel oils out there.

Latest posts

Back