Oil mix questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK :) -- here's where I (continue) bashing my head against the wall! YES -- you are most correct vis canned fuel -- I have been a lonnng-time user of Stihl Moto-Mix in my (all Stihl brand) chainsaws, pole saw, and blower. I add a wee bit (2.53 ml) of Stihl Ultra to each quart, too. A YouTuber -- Chickanic -- has posted several diatribes AGAINST using many pre-mixed canned fuels -- you can Google her channel and see the brands she particularly nixes. Being OCD re oil-mix I recently couldn't get an 039 going, and dealer advised scored piston. :( I always warm saws up before use, let them cool down after, etc. How did this happen? (I mailed the saw to Corey C. in Oklahoma for rebuild...) But, many hours of research -- which even got me to this forum -- suggests a Red Armor mix to 40:1? The relatively short amount of money -- cost -- is nil, counting pennies when I'm running a $600.00 saw -- I'm both too old (I'm 75) and too poor to buy a new replacement... Mentioned as a possible failure cause by Stihl (their website) includes "stale fuel". Which might (???) have been a contributor to my 039 failure. Since -- shoud've done it in past -- I now label all my premix with date -- and any left after a couple of months gets poured into my pickup truck's fuel tank. I'm still seeking the "answer" to the perfect mix which will make my saws last
I watched Chickaniic a couple of times. She doesn’t know her ass from third base. Of all the chainsaw “celebrities” on the internet, she is the worst. She stirs people up by slamming products. Start using premixed can fuel and you will be surprised at how many of your problems go away.

Buy canned fuel and skip all the BS. What I do. No muss, no fuss and no worry about mixing or ratio's or anything else. I'm an occasional user as well.
Chicanic found that TrueFuel caused a lot of problems. Others may be better. But I have had no fuel related problems, ever, using E10 plus StaBil.

Chickanic is a joke. She didn't retune between fuels, the "testing" she did was absolutely worthless. When I left a comment stating that, she deleted the comment, multiple times. I'm suspecting she wants folks to use pump fuel and generate more business for her.

Almost all saw owners should be using premix fuel. The folks on this site don't count, y'all make up less than 1% of saw owners. Most saw owners have a Wild Thing that they pull out of the case twice a year to trim a limb that came down in a storm. On a heavy use year, they might go through an entire tank of fuel cutting up some firewood for a camp fire. They burn less than a quart of fuel a year, and if they're going to have a gas saw at all, then premix is PERFECT for them.
She makes her living fixing small engines. I think she knows what she is talking about. She did not denigrate all pre-mixed fuels. She specifically called out TryeFuel.

I don't watch youtube review videos like that, but I have never had any fuel induced problems when using ethanol free fuel and good oil. I currently use Red Armor, but I have used other good oils and never had any trouble either. I have used gas that was several months old with no issue, although most of the time I will run it through the tractor or lawnmower and mix some fresh stuff up.

She makes her living fixing small engines. I think she knows what she is talking about. She did not denigrate all pre-mixed fuels. She specifically called out TryeFuel.
I might cud follow some recommending canned for winter storage, but milling, I was using almost gal/day ($25/g back then)... $28/g now?

So what did she say that was wrong with True Fuel?
She said most of the problems with hard starting of small engines were related to use of TrueFuel. Anyway, I think you can find the video on her channel still.

She said most of the problems with hard starting of small engines were related to use of TrueFuel. Anyway, I think you can find the video on her channel still.

I use True Fuel. I suppose a real old batch might do it.

I use Trufuel myself. Never an issue.

I will continue to value my own experience above that of a random youtuber.

Tried watching the Chickanic video. Turned it off when she started running the blower in her booty shorts.
Up until then, she seemed really irritated by the suggestions that you would ever need to tune a 2T engine. My suspicion is that "tuning" for her strictly involves setting RPM to spec values.

Latest posts

Back