Oil ratio and how often you tune

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chris-PA

Chris-PA

Where the Wild Things Are
I mostly have to tune for temperature changes. I'm at about 700'. Some saws just seem to need it more than others. I cannot stand it if the saws are running too rich so I keep them closer to the edge than some do.

erikvr

erikvr

ArboristSite Member
Adding more oil leans up the mixture as the % of fuel decreases. So you have to richen more as a result of adding oil :dumb:. I think the only result is more smoke.

Brushwacker

Brushwacker

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Has anybody noticed that running a higher oil ratio has led to the saw being more susceptible to environmental conditions? I feel I tweak more frequently and when there is a large swing in temp I've had saws that needed large adjustments. I run a modest 40:1 stihl silver. Before I ran 50:1 dyno cheap stuff.

I'd attribute some to being more familiar with saws, but I've had to make much larger adjustments since switching.
I run 28-1 and its not uncommon for my carbs to need tweaked to keep them running ideal from day to week most generally. Seldom 1/8 of a turn or more, usually half that. I keep a screwdriver handy when on the job.
I wouldn't be surprised if richer oil mixtures are more sensitive to temp changes.

Brushwacker

Brushwacker

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Adding more oil leans up the mixture as the % of fuel decreases. So you have to richen more as a result of adding oil :dumb:. I think the only result is more smoke.
:rolleyes: And I think you also get less friction, cooler running, more power and extra engine life when it coincides with proper tuning and routine maintnence. :drinkingcoffee:

Latest posts