Ok chevy guys.....help.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ole Farmerbuck

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I bought a 1990 chevy pickup 4x4 and the power steerting was pretty stiff so i put on a different pump lastnight. It helped very little. Is that year known for stiff steering? If so, what can i change to make it better?

I have a 90-2wd,no problems here,cept the pump leaks and it has no brakes and the trans slips...OH and the passenger front tire is 6" behind the drivers side and it has a huge hole in the firewall(fire wrench)but that hole is needed so it will turn to the right,the plywood hood is kinda ugly,but it works.

Other than that,no problems. :dizzy:

I'd make sure the power steering control valve on the pump is ok and you actually getting the assist from the vacume unit(ie.hoses). (assuming they were vacume assist then?) If all that is ok then I'd look at the steering box itself.:cheers:

Jack up the front end. disconnect the drag link from the steering gear. Try to move the wheels left to right. If it takes excessive effort, you may have a siezed ball joint. Go thru steering piece by piece until you find the problem. This should keep you from replacing parts that you dont need. If this works for you give me some green dots please.

Last edited:
+1 on what fastmopar had to say. I had a 90 4x4, no issues with stiff steering, somethings wrong. good luck

My 1991 k1500 4x4 used to have stiff steering in the morning when it was cold out first few turns was like no p/s. Installed new pump and line and still didnt fix it ,I just lived with it. Years later had a guy hit my truck and it messed up the steering gear and they installed used one--- problem solved. Dont know if this helps.

What fastmopar said, plus I like to jack one side up at a time under control arm (unload Bj's) and check them as a BJ that is too loose will bind also.

I have a 90-2wd,no problems here,cept the pump leaks and it has no brakes and the trans slips...OH and the passenger front tire is 6" behind the drivers side and it has a huge hole in the firewall(fire wrench)but that hole is needed so it will turn to the right,the plywood hood is kinda ugly,but it works.

Other than that,no problems. :dizzy:
We need pics!!

:D It's a gem,when I get the time(and the smarts)I'll be posting a ton of pics.

Ed*L might have seen it.

My 87 had the same problem. I washed the mud off and viola, :clap: power steering works fine. Wash it :cheers:
Wash what? this baby is clean! Hasnt rained here for so long that i saw a jackrabbit the other day....he was carrying a canteen! lol No mud here. I just had ball joints put in too but it was this way when i got it. I can get a steering box from salvage yard for 50 bucks but may just leave it alone. Builds strength.

I had the same problem on my old 89 C1500. There is an adjustment on the steering box that will help a little. It's been a while, but if I remember correctly you will either need a large allen wrench or star bit.

I had the same problem on my old 89 C1500. There is an adjustment on the steering box that will help a little. It's been a while, but if I remember correctly you will either need a large allen wrench or star bit.

I think that will only take up the slop in the box.

I had a 89 2500 chevy 4x4,steering was stiff on it to.I asked a local chevy dealer,he said the steering boxes on those trucks had some problems.I never changed the box because it wasnt all that bad.If I can give you some advice though with that model Chevrolet,cut a hole in the bed right above the fuel sending unit,and carry at least 3 new electric fuel pumps with ya

I believe most of those trucks did have heavy steering, Here's a solution- Get one of those semi-sized steering wheels. That would be funny. LOL

I bought a 1990 chevy pickup 4x4 and the power steerting was pretty stiff so i put on a different pump lastnight. It helped very little. Is that year known for stiff steering? If so, what can i change to make it better?

Buck ..Does your truck do a little dance when you hit a bump in the road?..I had one and it turned out to be dry king pins on a one ton ford, I should have checked it out before I put it on the road, And the steering was hard, ..Eric

As a suspension tech I would say you have some dry joints there .
as a few have said start with a jack and some stands and see how free it turns without it running.
now if you are good with tools and know your way around a front end remove a tie rod end and see how well the wheel turns side to side sooner or later you will find a bad joint or a few bad joints .
just be carefull and remember to put it all back together tight and use new cotter pins .

Buck ..Does your truck do a little dance when you hit a bump in the road?..I had one and it turned out to be dry king pins on a one ton ford, I should have checked it out before I put it on the road, And the steering was hard, ..Eric
I dont think this has king pins. Does it? It doesnt have the straight axle.

Last edited:
As a suspension tech I would say you have some dry joints there .
as a few have said start with a jack and some stands and see how free it turns without it running.
now if you are good with tools and know your way around a front end remove a tie rod end and see how well the wheel turns side to side sooner or later you will find a bad joint or a few bad joints .
just be carefull and remember to put it all back together tight and use new cotter pins .
I really dont think its a dry joint. I changed oil and greased everything and had an alignment shop install new ball joints. And new right hub assembly. Its not a 'grinding stiffness' at all. Its just harder to turn than our 1990 2wd. I might try a different steering box but if that doesnt fix it thats another 50 bucks wasted. Already wasted 30 on the pump. Oh well, like i always say......i've spent more on less!!

I really dont think its a dry joint. I changed oil and greased everything and had an alignment shop install new ball joints. And new right hub assembly. Its not a 'grinding stiffness' at all. Its just harder to turn than our 1990 2wd. I might try a different steering box but if that doesnt fix it thats another 50 bucks wasted. Already wasted 30 on the pump. Oh well, like i always say......i've spent more on less!!

Yep agree FB, I refuse too say enough with my old 86 Ranger (Tonto) too. Sentimental in my case. It's a losing battle in the end but what the heck. You are right there are no kingpins in that truck. You've got ball joints, pitman, etc.. steering gear box would be my next look too.:cheers:

Latest posts

Back