Ok chevy guys.....help.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really dont think its a dry joint. I changed oil and greased everything and had an alignment shop install new ball joints. And new right hub assembly. Its not a 'grinding stiffness' at all. Its just harder to turn than our 1990 2wd. I might try a different steering box but if that doesnt fix it thats another 50 bucks wasted. Already wasted 30 on the pump. Oh well, like i always say......i've spent more on less!!

We have had a 1982 4wd, a 1986 2wd (two of them) and the problem happened on both 86's.
Had larger tires and always blamed that but when in a parking lot or backing out of the drive the steering was stiff and lumpy. Never figured it out but it wasn't related to the ball joints because changing all of them at the dealer didn't change things.

I think it may be the steering gear but a rebuilt one isn't cheap. Am not against changing parts when they are verified to be shot but just throwing parts at something in an effort to get lucky and solve the problem can cost $bucks.xx

A squirt can of oil can be used one place at a time to try and locate the problem. If you can hoist the front wheels off the ground and have someone else move the steering wheel you might be able to "feel" the culprit.

You might want to check that its not stuck in 4x4. You will have a real tight turn when its engaged. I know alot of the older chevys had Vacum leaks and half ass repair jobs done to them. The 4x4 runs off of the vacum.

I had a 89 2500 chevy 4x4,steering was stiff on it to.I asked a local chevy dealer,he said the steering boxes on those trucks had some problems.I never changed the box because it wasnt all that bad.If I can give you some advice though with that model Chevrolet,cut a hole in the bed right above the fuel sending unit,and carry at least 3 new electric fuel pumps with ya

I am up to about 300,000 miles on mine(K2500 extended cab 4X4--long box). Replaced the fuel pump because I THOUGHT it was the problem at 225,000 miles. Turned out the fuel pump relay wire was frayed off by a mouse.
Just lost the tranny this week(5sp manual), so I am going to have to put some money in it, but it sure don't owe me anything. Still goes at least 3000 miles before it needs a quart. It is losing the battle with rust, however.

Never had any power steering trouble, but did have to replace all the steering ends. They were really bad.

here's a thought

now i remeber a buddy of mine adjust hissteering box to take up the slop, but did it to much and it was a pain to turn. now if the truck has a solid axle it could be a live axle and on the tube running to the hubs there is a vacuum solinoid that will engage a sleeve to make the axle complete if it is froze or a leak it will be like driving in 4 wheel drive. then again i have seen air in the steering box and it will cause funny things.

hope this helps

Unless it is something other than that black plastic reject from a toilet tank I see in my memory, that round jobber is for cruise control.
Those were vacuum storage tanks when heater and ac controlls were vacumm controlled. This has electric controlls so there is no need to have a storage tank. Some vehicles would loose vacuum going up long hills and the air would just start coming out whatever vent it wanted to. Had it to do it to me in Colorado.

Those were vacuum storage tanks when heater and ac controlls were vacumm controlled. This has electric controlls so there is no need to have a storage tank. Some vehicles would loose vacuum going up long hills and the air would just start coming out whatever vent it wanted to. Had it to do it to me in Colorado.

I am stuck in a time warp farther back than that. My wife had a truck and I had one too. She had cruise and a toilet float, I did not.

My experience and my comfort zone is with the '73-'86 carburetter Chevy trucks.

I am stuck in a time warp farther back than that. My wife had a truck and I had one too. She had cruise and a toilet float, I did not.

My experience and my comfort zone is with the '73-'86 carburetter Chevy trucks.

I like the older ones too. i recently got a 1974 3/4 ton 4x4. Nice pickup. Anyone can fix them. In fact the carb had never been off of it. I put a kit in it and she runs like a new one.

sounds stupid but did you check the belt. my truck was doing the same thing, steering was stiff at slow speeds in parking lots. tightened the belt and voila like new steering

mine has a seperate v belt set up, it is the older model v-3500

check for bent linkages I'm not too familiar with the new independent front ends

Back