Ok guys, who burnt the most thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For fun I picked up a few bundles (20 bricks totaling 38 lbs @ $4.99 per bundle) of GREN pressed sawdust bricks. They actually burned pretty well in my Regency i3100 insert. I plan on buying a few dozen more bundles in the off season for backup - maybe I can get a lower price in bulk (Menard's Building Center).

Started up easily using a few sticks of fatwood and a saw chip/wax muffin:

gren_start.jpg
gren_15min.jpg

Glad to be a loser in such a contest.
My little Morso "squirrel" used maybe 2.5 cords. Always the worst first. Still used about 1/3 more than any previous year.

Probably 5-6 cords here on a 1400 sq ft house, it was a nasty winter for sure. Our house is set up so that the electric heaters only come on when the stove burns out and I only had one month where the electric bill was above $200. It normally runs around 100-125 in the summer so I was happy with that.

Burned three cords in my indoor boiler at the cabin for a month of cumulative use, mostly aspen. I would have been in the 12 cord range for the winter using that gopher wood. This year I am stocking up on the good stuff if I can ever get ahead of the dying aspen on my property.

My friend heated a shop, new house he is building, and an old house they are living in with an OWB and went through 25 cords of hardwood. I asked him how he had time to go to work between feedings but he said it only takes 3 loads on a cold day.

I'd estimate that we've gone through 12-13 cords in the OWB, and still burning full time. Last year the firr was allowed to go out on June 7th, so we're looking at another month yet - probably one more cord.

Jon

I only burned about 2 full cords of wood........but I also went through 3 1/2 tons of coal in the same stove.
I usually start and finish the burning season with wood anymore.

I ran through 16 - 18 full cord of good stuff and another 6-8 of junk, it was flat out miserable up here, I'm finally down to just heating the house and the shop gets heat every second day, with kibbles and cut offs

I can't wait to put the fire out

This is just a guess on my part, but I'll estimate between 4.5-5.5 cords. That's almost full time burning out of a fireplace too. I'd get up around 8 in the morning, light the fire and get it cranking. The wifey would wake up after me and keep it going while I did chores outside and took a cat nap before heading into work. She'd run it all day until around 9:30-10:00 at night when she crashed. Before she went to sleep she'd stock it up good to burn for a few hours until I got home, then I'd reload it while I was still awake. I'd keep it going until about 3:00-3:30am when I went to bed, then it would start all over again.

If someone burned 30 cord this winter (or ever), you probably won't hear from them. They will be too busy getting firewood for next year. You give 'em the TV award, I'll give 'em my deepest sympathy!;)

I can't put a exact "measured" amount on it 'cause some of it went directly from the cuttin' site to the basement...
Best guesstimate... my forced-air furnace gobbled up somewhere in the neighborhood of 12-13 cord.
But on the bright side... I never even turned the valve on to the gas furnace and the whole house was a steady 71°(ish) all winter(except for a handful of real cold early mornings).

K, what if I told you I cut 38- 40 cord since October......the 16 - 18 of good that I burnt and all the junk, and around 18 to a pile for next year.....and not quite done yet

I have had no life since the saw started to run in fall.....

After reading most of the replies here...

Glad I have a Jotul 118CB in a smallish (1200sqf) well insulated house. 2.5 cords and stayed plenty warm all winter.

Probably around 20 cords, burned a triaxle load of smaller diameter ash in 3 months. (Feb, Mar, Apr) Heating a 5 bedroom farmhouse, dhw, 15x30 shop and another small building kept above freezing. Started in Sept, let it go out for a while in Oct, still burning now.

Latest posts

Back