OK here is your chance to get Rope lol

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I remember correctly the bearings should last two top ends before they normally need to be replaced. I sat if they are smooth and have no play, a new top end, seals and lines should get her up and running.:cheers:

Yeah I just want it complete it will be a learning experience and may take me a month to do but I will have a new old 372 and to me thats worth 8 more years of hell on wood:cheers:

Ya, no problem. You're going to have to build some sort of case splitter.

Yes I also am going to need a flywheel puller but since the two 372's I have may need built possibly again before I am put out to pasture I will be ready I will probably try to buy up enough parts to do the other saw to have on hand should they become obsolete!

**** happens, Rope, nothing lasts forever. It's a tribute to your diligence (tuning and maintenance) that the saw lasted that long.

You should really check out whether the jug is scored or you just have transfer.. let's face, you've got good OEM right there if the jug isn't damaged.

Check that big end bearing carefully. In fact, if you're going to change ANYTHING, consider swapping the crank out. The clearance between the piston skirts and the crank counterweights on the 372 is pretty small. Once the big end bearing gets enough slop, you can chip the skirt.... after that, FOD damage in the top end happens right quick.

$450 sounds pretty high, but if you do the whole nine yards it's a believable figure. You can probably cut costs without sacrificing life or performance. You can source the bearings (6202 C3, $12 ea around here), gaskets and seals from Baileys ($7), etc. This could be kinda inexpensive if your crank ends up being tight and you reuse the jug.

With the kind of use your saws get, though, whatever you do will probably pay for itself pretty quick. Keep us posted!

**** happens, Rope, nothing lasts forever. It's a tribute to your diligence (tuning and maintenance) that the saw lasted that long.

You should really check out whether the jug is scored or you just have transfer.. let's face, you've got good OEM right there if the jug isn't damaged.

Check that big end bearing carefully. In fact, if you're going to change ANYTHING, consider swapping the crank out. The clearance between the piston skirts and the crank counterweights on the 372 is pretty small. Once the big end bearing gets enough slop, you can chip the skirt.... after that, FOD damage in the top end happens right quick.

$450 sounds pretty high, but if you do the whole nine yards it's a believable figure. You can probably cut costs without sacrificing life or performance. You can source the bearings (6202 C3, $12 ea around here), gaskets and seals from Baileys ($7), etc. This could be kinda inexpensive if your crank ends up being tight and you reuse the jug.

With the kind of use your saws get, though, whatever you do will probably pay for itself pretty quick. Keep us posted!

I was changing bearings would that not correct the issues your talking about? Thats is assuming the crank bearing mating surfaces check out with the micrometer?

Naa, he's talking about the big end rod bearing, which cannot be changed, without changing the whole crank assembly.

Yeah duh I am done now lmao. I think you would hear noise the crank is expensive but I may just do it anyway so lets say 650 to 700 lol new saw. First I will find out what happened and go from there. Why did they stop making the real 372:cry:

Rope,
Before you break her down, leak test her and see if thats what gave out. It's easier to do while she still has her top on. Good luck I'm doing a 360 right now from a CL deal gone bad. anyone got a cheap piston for a 036/360 ?

It would put my mind at ease if I new where the fault was. But then again if you are going to replace EVERYTHING then it will have been replaced anyway :clap::clap:

They're still a lot of new 372s out there. I know of atleast 3 dealers that have one or more right now.

I know you had to pal but this saw probably had four thousand hours or better it earned its keep [can't say that about any of my other saws.]
It would be interesting to see whether carbon was the problem.
Was it stock? If not, when you rebuild I'd at least mod the muff.
John

From your description Rope, my bet is that that the saw overheated in the cut and you have some scoring on the exhaust side of the piston caused by ingested carbon.
John

I have had my 372 for near eight years and yesterday I believe I scorched a piston. Mind you I have not tore it down as of yet but checked compression when it lost power and actually died! I have the other one so in a few days I will tear it down and I think I will go ahead and change seals,tank vent and maybe bearings it has cut more in eight years than any saw I can remember. I am still wondering what happened as it was running great one minute and toasted in a stump the next. Ethanol hmmmmmmmmmm?

PS: compression is 105

Sounds like she overheated in the stump Rope, the stump is where a awful lot of chainsaws meet their doom. Some folks cut so close to the ground the air flow is blocked off at the recoil assembly, meaning its picking up heat from the exhaust, and the motor overheats. Was you cutting real close to the ground?

You got a long service life out of that saw so you can't complain and no one can fault the saw, not even us Stihl guys, that saw done its job. 8 years out of a saw used daily is awesome. Check the bearings in that saw real real close Rope, including the lower main before you decide to rebuild it. She's overheated on top meaning the bottom got hot too. With 8 years on it those bearings have done alot of work and may need replacing. If the bottom main has any up and down play in it at all it be best to park that old saw and get a new one...

Last edited:
Sounds like she overheated in the stump Rope, the stump is where a awful lot of chainsaws meet their doom. Some folks cut so close to the ground the air flow is blocked off at the recoil assembly and the motor overheats. Was you cutting real close to the ground?

You got a long service life out of that saw so you can't complain and no one can fault the saw, not even us Stihl guys, that saw done its job. 8 years out of a saw used daily is awesome. Check the bearings in that saw real real close Rope, including the lower main before you decide to rebuild it. She's overheated on top meaning the bottom got hot too. With 8 years on it those bearings have done alot of work and may need replacing. If the bottom main has any up and down play in it at all it be best to park that old saw and get a new one...

Words of wisdom, speak oh so true!!

Great post Tom, good to see you around, don't hear from ya too much these days.

How's things?

Words of wisdom, speak oh so true!!

Great post Tom, good to see you around, don't hear from ya too much these days.

How's things?

Oh I get on here now and then. I was on yesterday in Space's thread having some good laffs. I don't post as much as I used too, got a new hobby sitting over in the corner, a Fender Stratocaster. Been trying to learn how to play that dayumm thing in the evenings so I can run down to Nashville or Hollywood and make a few zillion. Seems I may die of old age first though,LOL

I can't post much from the shop anymore due to being so busy. Sales have been awesome this year. Things have really took a big up swing this year over last year. Between sales, repairs, ordering and dealing with the folks I don't get much time to post at the shop. So in all things have been going good man,:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Oh been wondering, anyone heard from Bookerdog? I knew he was having some health issues and I haven't seen him on in awhile, hope that ole cat is doing well, I kinda miss fussing with him, he's alot of fun..

Oh I get on here now and then. I was on yesterday in Space's thread having some good laffs. I don't post as much as I used too, got a new hobby sitting over in the corner, a Fender Stratocaster. Been trying to learn how to play that dayumm thing in the evenings so I can run down to Nashville or Hollywood and make a few zillion. Seems I may die of old age first though,LOL

I can't post much from the shop anymore due to being so busy. Sales have been awesome this year. Things have really took a big up swing this year over last year. Between sales, repairs, ordering and dealing with the folks I don't get much time to post at the shop. So in all things have been going good man,:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Oh been wondering, anyone heard from Bookerdog? I knew he was having some health issues and I haven't seen him on in awhile, hope that ole cat is doing well, I kinda miss fussing with him, he's alot of fun..

Good to hear your busy and doing well.

I heard from Booker just before the summer, I think he was doing fine, just sounded real busy, must be taking a extended hiatus from here.

Good to hear your busy and doing well.

I heard from Booker just before the summer, I think he was doing fine, just sounded real busy, must be taking a extended hiatus from here.

Great, good to know he's alright, I like that ole Bookerdog. If you hear from him again tell him ole Hall is just waiting to give him a good Stihl whopping, yup I itching to put a knot on his noggin so tall even his ole Husky won't cut it off,LOLOLOL

Great, good to know he's alright, I like that ole Bookerdog. If you hear from him again tell him ole Hall is just waiting to give him a good Stihl whopping, yup I itching to put a knot on his noggin so tall even his ole Husky won't cut it off,LOLOLOL

ha ha ha. yes I miss those days as well. Some good times.

Will

Back