OK, whats the REAL difference.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get a piece of each and check it out

Are you asking for dimensionsal difference performance or what?
Smaller (shorter/less tall) pitch .365(pico)versus .375(3/8) less mass and less aggressive for smaller saws.

How about a 5/32 cutter for 3/8 LP or picco and a 7/32 cutter for 3/8. Plus the spacing on the drive links, .365 and .375.

An answer?

For reasons that elude me 3/8 lowpro replaced 1/4" I still use and prefer 1/4inch even though it is a slight bit heavier

PEST said:
Are you asking for dimensionsal difference performance or what?
Smaller (shorter/less tall) pitch .365(pico)versus .375(3/8) less mass and less aggressive for smaller saws.
Cut4fun said:
How about a 5/32 cutter for 3/8 LP or picco and a 7/32 cutter for 3/8. Plus the spacing on the drive links, .365 and .375.

Both are actually the same pitch, .367 if memory serves.
The .365 thing is something Carlton or Baileys made up to distinguish them....

The difference is cutter hight, cutter width, and the thickness of the tie straps. Lo pro/picco cut a narrower kerf, has less ability to transport chips, and are weaker.

Sawtroll I can hold my 3/8LP and 3/8 reg side to side and there is a little difference in drive link distance. How much, dont know, but they are different distance between links on my 2 oregon chains I looked at.

You are correct, I just measured the 2 chains and they were the same distance between drive links.
Must just be a optical illusion playing on my mind.

I just looked in the 066 parts manual, it list part #1122 640 2002
for 3/8T sprocket, part #1122 640 2006 for 3/8 PICCO 7T sprocket
So I would say they must be different, (I guess):dizzy:

Gary

Lakeside53 said:
Nope... The bar tip is different as is the sprocket.

OK Lake, What is the difference? I'm not trying to be a smart a$$
I just want to know.

Thanks, Gary

CaseyForrest said:
So, one can use 3/8 picco on a regular 3/8 bar and rim?
I have. The smaller drive link just dont fit the rim as well. Plus I only did it for a short period of time, when i didnt have a shorter bar, for a bigger saw. I was running the 3/8LP bar with reg 3/8 rim.

I'd need to drag my flu-ridden ass down to the cold garage and mess around to give you a better informed answer, but from memory the standard bar tip rides the small picco tangs out of the bar. It's not just the cutters that are smaller. Same for the sprocket geometry. Stihl has Picco bars in the 3003 mount, but doesn't sell them in the USA - Logosol does though. Stihl doesn't want the liability of guys putting picco on their MS660 and "overpowering" the chains. Even the MS250 has .325 for this reason... (the 210 has Picco).

Lakeside53 said:
I'd need to drag my flu-ridden ass down to the cold garage and mess around to give you a better informed answer, but from memory the standard bar tip rides the small picco tangs out of the bar. It's not just the cutters that are smaller. Same for the sprocket geometry. Stihl has Picco bars in the 3003 mount, but doesn't sell them in the USA - Logosol does though. Stihl doesn't want the liability of guys putting picco on their MS660 and "overpowering" the chains. Even the MS250 has .325 for this reason... (the 210 has Picco).

OK I'm starting to understand, But why would Stihl even offer a
picco sprocket if they were worried about it on the 066 saw?

Gary

Back