OK, whats the REAL difference.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trigger-Time said:
OK I'm starting to understand, But why would Stihl even offer a
picco sprocket if they were worried about it on the 066 saw?

Gary

They don't for the large spline mount in the USA (it's on the older parts list but not available). You can get the small spline mount for the 024 - the Picco bar was available for the 026/024 for a short time in the early 90's.

It was for a mill they used to market.. but that's also discontinued. Lawyers...

Last edited:
This is another thing that brothers me, I called Logosol last week
and ask about the 63PMX ripping chain (didn't get a name) and
from what he told me if I had a 3/8 sprocket & .050 bar I could
run their chain. The bars they sell are Forester or Oregon.

Sorry about :deadhorse:

Gary

Trigger-Time said:
This is another thing that brothers me, I called Logosol last week
and ask about the 63PMX ripping chain (didn't get a name) and
from what he told me if I had a 3/8 sprocket & .050 bar I could
run their chain. The bars they sell are Forester or Oregon.

Sorry about :deadhorse:

Gary

Stihl must have discontinued selling them the bars etc then. Probably stopped production world wide.

Lakeside53 said:
. It's not just the cutters that are smaller. Same for the sprocket geometry. Stihl has Picco bars in the 3003 mount, but doesn't sell them in the USA - Logosol does though. ....
Stihl sell the 660 with Logosol bars here, but the drive sprockets on that 660 version are spur only, no rims.

SawTroll said:
Stihl sell the 660 with Logosol bars here, but the drive sprockets on that 660 version are spur only, not rims.

Now that is wacky... Do you know if the logosol bars are rebadged Stihl bars, or something else?

Lake, One last question, the part number for the PICCO sprocket
you give me 0000 642 1240 (7 tooth) for my 026 is it still
available here (U.S.)

Thanks, Gary

I just posted this on the milling thread so I will be lazy and just cut and paste here

.365, 370 low pro, 3/8 extended pitch, 3/8 regular .375 regular!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Measure them up and I think you will find they are all the same spacing centre to centre on the rivets and that figure will be close to .367 of an inch even on the so called .375 and 3/8 chain. The figures used to describe them are nominal, not exact. There is a difference in the size and shape of the drive tang projection beneath the chain tie straps. There is also slightly less thickness from centre of rivet to bottom of chain tie strap. The low pro drive tangs fit reasonably well in a regular drive sprocket but not so well on the fingers of the star wheel that is the sprocket of the bar nose. They work on full size setups but there are some compatibility issues. If anyone can get definitive info on intermixing them from any of the chain manufactures tech. people, you are doing better than I did. I am presently running some Carlton Low Pro on a standard 3/8 setup on a 260. No doubt you might get better life from dedicated Picco components but they seem hard to come by for larger saws and bar lengths.

A spur drive sprocket lifts the chai by the notch in the bottom of the side rail and propels it from the rear of the drive tang. A rim sprocket contacts the bottom of the side links at two spots below the rivets and also propels the chain by pushin on the rear of the drive tang. On the sprocke nose wheel a full size drive tang contacts the sides of two prongs and cups nicely between with fairly good bearing area. The low profile chain with its smaller drive tang seems to mereley hang on the points of the sprocket nose wheel with pretty small contact area high up on the drive tangs close to the rivet line. I havent run it long enough to have any problems but I think it might show up with battering of the drive links that is almost hidden inside the chain side links. There and near the ends of the teeth of the nose sprocket wheel.

Trigger-Time said:
available here (U.S.)

Thanks, Gary

Yes, $6.20 list.

Lakeside, I Lied to you

Trigger-Time said:
available here (U.S.)

Thanks, Gary

Lake, I guess I lied, I have another question. (sorry)
This is the part #3003-998-5531, Logosol has listed
on the web site for "25 Inch Oregon Bar for 066"
Can you tell me if this is a Stihl or Oregon part number?

Many Thanks, Gary

P.S. I hope your are better. maybe some 7&7 would help
with your illness.

Eriksberg said:
Trigger-Time, #3003-000-5531 is a 25" stihl bar, listed for logosol, 3/8P Duromatic...:cheers:

/klas

Eriksberg, Thanks. I didn't know, I thought it looked like
a Stihl part number, but from the Logosol web site, after the
part number It says "25 Inch Oregon Bar for 066" the (Oregon)
thing is throwing me off.

What is bad about a hard tip bar?
(trying to answer my own question) is that it takes more HP?
More friction?

Thanks, Gary

P.S Eriksberg, A Big Welcome to AS :cheers:

Friction... and the need to run your chain looser than I think is desirable.

If they were good for anything but digging roots, railway ties, driftwood logs and bad stumps, they would still dominate the market like they did 50 years ago..

For milling, with an aux oiler, maybe... but give me a roller tip any day.

Lake, I called a Stihl dealer today with the #3003-998-5531 part number
(it was a kid, the main man was at lunch) Thats why when I ask
about the pitch he said "The book don't say what pitch, just 24" .050"
so you cleared that up for me. That is is a hard tip.

Thanks, Gary

Back