Oklahoma,AR,MO,KS,TX GTG (Next GTG 08/27/2016 ) Fort Scott, KS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's -2 here but thankfully the wind has largely subsided... I may go block up a tree for a buddy that got pushed over across his back pasture fence by an ___hole neighbor... Then again, I may just sit inside, poke at the fire and drink coffee as I don't go back to work until tomorrow... Decisions, decisions... I think I know what Jim's vote would be!

It's -2 here but thankfully the wind has largely subsided... I may go block up a tree for a buddy that got pushed over across his back pasture fence by an ___hole neighbor... Then again, I may just sit inside, poke at the fire and drink coffee as I don't go back to work until tomorrow... Decisions, decisions... I think I know what Jim's vote would be!
5 for a high... As much as I like to cut wood, it ain't happen today!

I have a warm shop to work in. :D

Got up at 6 flushed the pot nothing happened , i hate squirrels they ate a hole in my well house roof and i didn't ck it when it got cold so it froze . Well house is a block away so i took the old brown truck and it overheated , froze up . So iam having my morning coffee at 10:30 . I think i will hunt squirrels today ;-] .

Heck Bryan thats a no brainer, it's up to -5 and the sun is shining. I just finished my first pot for the day. I am going out and check the stove, then I think I will take a nap, been up since 4:30. Later Jim

Put me down for one vote with Jim.

How does this stuff find it's way to my shop..??
A Stihl 08... Actually got it running pretty good now...
Hands were buzzing after testing though...
View attachment 326316

Holy COW Matt!!! Where'd you find a running example like that? I don't think i'd want to run one for a long period, but it might be novel to cut a few cookies with!

I decided against cutting today. I've done it before, but I've done a lot of other stupid things before as well that I'd rather not repeat either... Plus, this way I get to spend some all too precious time with the babies. My tombstone will NOT read, "If only I'd spent more time at work". Stay warm y'all.

Ps: On a positive note, at least it's not like the cold I worked in once while maintaining a few KC-135R tankers at Eilson AFB, AK in early February and March... -30-50 (temp NOT windchill) is miserable by anyone's definition. Heated hangars are a blessing and a necessity up there. Fatigued metal and cold are a bad combination...

Holy COW Matt!!! Where'd you find a running example like that? I don't think i'd want to run one for a long period, but it might be novel to cut a few cookies with!
A fella brought it by for me to "look at", because it wasn't running right, and it was his dads, and you know how that all goes...
Believe it or not, it could still be a viable "user"... If you were so inclined... Good power, just gotta be patient, and I think oliver1655 has a few in regular use... I figured I could call him if It wasn't a simple fix... I still haven't figured out the kill "button" on it.. seems to lead to nowhere.. So I just choked it to shut it off..

Killing an O8/S10 - On the earliest models you simply choked them out like Hedge did. Next they had a simple shorting button to the left side of the handle in front of the choke. It grounded the case to the brass piece sticking out of the rubber block next to the throttle linkage. You simply held the button down until the saw stopped. (This shorted out the coil like the old mower engines that had the grounding strap you pushed against the spark plug.) Then they went to a toggle switch. Most of the time I use the choke to kill the saw then I take the choke off & it will start back up with one pull.

I am surprised your arm was buzzing Hedge. For not having an anti-vibe system, mine have very little vibration. Now my loaner "Wood Shark" with the anti-vibe will make your arm numb running it.

Yes, As Hedge said I have two 08-s & two S10's, 56cc, all top handles, in use running .404 chain. The S10 which came in top & rear handle version was to be the homeowner's version of the 08.

I'll have have a couple of mine at "Charity Cut III" if anyone wants to run one. 17" & 25" bars.

The saw Hedge is working on looks like it is in fairly good shape. They are easy to work on.

A fella brought it by for me to "look at", because it wasn't running right, and it was his dads, and you know how that all goes...
Believe it or not, it could still be a viable "user"... If you were so inclined... Good power, just gotta be patient, and I think oliver1655 has a few in regular use... I figured I could call him if It wasn't a simple fix... I still haven't figured out the kill "button" on it.. seems to lead to nowhere.. So I just choked it to shut it off..
I was thinking that was the kind of old stihl John was useing at the charity cut :)

I'm sorry to hear about your brother John. I lost my brother almost a year ago. It still hurts. You take care of family first. There will be other Charity Cuts. If there is anything I can do to help, just let me know.

Charity Cut update,
With the cold and snow the county hasn't been able to add to the woodpile. But with better weather approaching hopefully they will come in under the wire. We are looking at a secondary location to have the cut in case the county can't come through. I'm doing everything I can to keep it on the 11th. It's at our staging area. There are a few trees that need to come down. Not sure on the number though. 8-10 maybe. Mostly locust.
We talked with the county about helping the landowner cut and split his stuff for a percent donated to us. Doesn't sound like landowner is interested and county won't let us come down and help cut. Has to do with diverting traffic and liability issues. They don't have a problem with bringing us the wood, it's just the weather isn't cooperating.
Again, I'm going to do all I can to keep this one on schedule, but there may be a delay until the 25th. Please bare with me guys.
Steve

Latest posts

Back