Old 070 to New(ish) 090

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dibbs

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Latest eBay Purchase

New engine shroud, air filter and cover, recoil assy, fanwheel and flywheel all fitted already.
Needs new piston, cylinder and clutch so I may as well put in the 090 set.
Can't wait to take delivery and find out what is stopping it purr, then make it purr again, maybe even roar like the "King of the Jungle" it will become with the 090 stuff.

D a m n your eyes!!

I decide to take a week off trawling ebay and you pick that up!

Seriously good find and a good price too.

I've bought from and traded with Michael before, he's a nice chap and very honest.

Good luck

I stuck a bid in on that one - I was a bit hesitant because it looked a bit of a "bitsa" saw. I also worry about something that Michael can't get going - WTF is wrong with it if he can't get it running? :dizzy:

I bought an 07 off him for £7 2 weeks ago. I wanted it for the exhaust only. Damn him, it is a perfectly good saw - now I have another saw!

Anyway, I don't need another saw. I've got 2 070s on the go already, both stripped to the bearings. I'd be interested in what happens when you stick an 090 jug on it...will the clutch hold up?!

Lots of chinese aftermarket pieces on this one. But you get nothin for $100 us. Love my old stihl 070, thinking of upgrading the clutch and cylinder to make it into an 090.

Latest eBay Purchase

New engine shroud, air filter and cover, recoil assy, fanwheel and flywheel all fitted already.
Needs new piston, cylinder and clutch so I may as well put in the 090 set.
Can't wait to take delivery and find out what is stopping it purr, then make it purr again, maybe even roar like the "King of the Jungle" it will become with the 090 stuff.

Yeeeeeah Haaaaaaah, another member in the "Way more saw than I need, but this thing's got balls of steel" club. I just can't describe the power trip that cutting big wood with one of these things gives you. Good luck, I know you will have fun.

I stuck a bid in on that one - I was a bit hesitant because it looked a bit of a "bitsa" saw. I also worry about something that Michael can't get going - WTF is wrong with it if he can't get it running? :dizzy:

I wondered that myself, one thing is for sure, regardless of what is wrong with it enough time and money will have it back in form again, unless the case is broken!

I'd be interested in what happens when you stick an 090 jug on it...will the clutch hold up?!

I intend to fit the 6 shoe 090 clutch rather than the 070 one again.

Lordy, A hundred bucks??!! ...they're just givin' monster saws away over there!

Not normally, most who know the guy that sold the saw would wonder why he didn't just fix it himself, he buys saws, fixes them and sells them back on eBay all the time. The ones that don't know him probably wouldn't know what an 070 was anyway, never mind try to fix a "broken" one.

Yeeeeeah Haaaaaaah, another member in the "Way more saw than I need, but this thing's got balls of steel" club. I just can't describe the power trip that cutting big wood with one of these things gives you. Good luck, I know you will have fun.

Yep, way more saw than I need, I don't run a tree firm, most trees big enough to require this saw have "tags" on them to stop you (by law) from sawing it down even if you own it!
So, I may never get to unleash a 60" bar on a tree but I'll have somthing for "the collection" or just a serious "backup plan" for the MS440 if it ever lets me down!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back