Old 575 Husqvarna's really all that bad?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weimedog

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Interesting perspective has been now repeated buy two local loggers. A fellow here from the New England area posted here a while back about the "torque" the 575 has pulls the bigger wood better than the 372. At first this sounded like a rationalization to justify that 575's place. To say that here in this forum is like going against religion or actually a better anology..going against pop culture.

So when asked by a local logger (who was making fun of my old Iron as I was hanging around in a local saw shop for stuff) what I thought..I answered "I don't know" because I never put my hands on a 575. Right answer. He was waiting to jump me on the 372 being better for him as he's hear it so many times from "experts" (Which Im not and told him so) and he has had both. But chose to keep his old 575 rather than buy a new 441 or 372 left over as a replacement.

And then again. Another local who also is a professional has had both. Kept the 575 and moved to another brand when it was time to upgrade.

SO whats the deal? These guys just not seeing the light or is it a case where the 372 is better in some situations and the 575 in others? Bottom line is I guess those old 575's have earned a following locally. Common denominators..mostly hard wood operations, bigger bars, both put food on the table with logging. The other interesting thing is both moved to Stihl's from what ever they had in addition but kept the 575's.

Next question. Would these guys be happier with the 576 vs the new itterations of the old 372 when they want to replace the 575's? (And keep them in the Husqvarna fold vs. follow the local trend to Stihl based on the shakeup in local dealer situations.)

Last edited:
Some VERY well respected members around here love the 575/576.
There is certainly a reason for it.
The weight, balance and response to mods of the 372 make it easy to be enamoured with!
It's kinda like the prom queen and her not quite as beautiful (but still gorgeous) sister who is smarter, a harder worker and a better cook.
Both are great but guess who gets the most attention?

Mike

There's an NYCSM'er with a 575. I know he's had it for a good number of years and has put a lot of time on it. I've run it on numerous occasions myself. I think the 575 is a fine saw.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tC_sPHhuD3s&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tC_sPHhuD3s&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

People just need to get over their hate for the strato saws. Most who hate saws like the 575/576/441 have never even seen one up close let alone ever run one. Those who have run one that hate it are doing it because it's the current AS trend, it's just not cool yet to dig strato.

Bunch of whiney little bizznitches if you ask me.....

Speaking to a couple of dealers it seems like the earlier 575s had some of the bearing problems that gave the saws a bad reputation. I see Lewis and a lot of other big tree services using them regularly.

There's an NYCSM'er with a 575. I know he's had it for a good number of years and has put a lot of time on it. I've run it on numerous occasions myself. I think the 575 is a fine saw.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tC_sPHhuD3s&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tC_sPHhuD3s&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

People just need to get over their hate for the strato saws. Most who hate saws like the 575/576/441 have never even seen one up close let alone ever run one. Those who have run one that hate it are doing it because it's the current AS trend, it's just not cool yet to dig strato.

Bunch of whiney little bizznitches if you ask me.....

I dont hate strato saws...I dont love them either

I get to run them all....oh and I get to fix them all...

I like the 361 and 362 about the same...maybe a tiny better the 361 for ease of repair....(362 is like a puzzle in there)

When it comes to the 441 vs the 440...I am sorta biased as I ALWAYS liked the 046/460 platform better...(ergonomics) so I dont care for the 440/441

I am also biased as the 372 may be the greatest Husky of all time...IMO

and I cant stand the fatter handles of the 575 (again ergonomics)

I have not had a chance to operate a 576 so I cant make a comment on them....

I do know that the 576 is going to have to be around along time and really be something special to get it to the following that the 372 had, and continues to have....

575 is a great saw, my buddy had one for a number of years in his tree service, used it daily with a 33" bar, and did just fine. I'm guessing there were lots of hours on that saw.

Next door neighbor has two of them, I've ran them a bit. He sells around 400 cord of firewood every year and blocks it all with the saws.
He swears by them, never had a problem. They do/did have a really bad rep on here however.

:)

I've never run a 575 or a 71 cc 372. I owned a 75cc 372 and now own a 576 and I like it better than the 372. It seems to have more torque than the 372 had even with a cc disadvantage. Modded it cuts with a 394 in 16" wood or so. I don't have anything any bigger to test them against each other in. The weight doesn't really feel any different than the 372xpw did. I think if more people would try them they would really be liked. They weigh less than a 441 and 460 and will cut with both of them and maybe outcut the US version of the 460.

I have had had mine for 4 years now, and recently picked up another one because it was cheap, and I think they didn't know what they had. I run mine like I stole it, beat the crap out of them and they never once have ever given me a problem. I just tuned it the way I liked it the first time I used them, and haven't touched them since. Great saws in my opinion. :)

I suspect that's because of the paper specs.

+1 the paper specs of the strato saws don't tell the whole story. The added torque really allows you to keep the chain speed up in the cut on a strato saw. 575 has a LOT more guts than a stock 372.

To bad they don't respond well to mods!!!!!!! LOL

Interesting perspective has been now repeated buy two local loggers. A fellow here from the New England area posted here a while back about the "torque" the 575 has pulls the bigger wood better than the 372. At first this sounded like a rationalization to justify that 575's place. To say that here in this forum is like going against religion or actually a better anology..going against pop culture. ......

I have never used a "strato" saw, but according to the little neutral evidence that actually exist (dyno test results), that is most likly exactly what it is. :givebeer:

The "strato" saws are here for one reason only, and that is EPA.

Last edited:
This was about the 575 and can't remember what the differences were between it and the 576, but it's sounding like they fit in with the weight, bulk and power/torque ratio of most saws. People need to leave the engine capacity out of the equation to get a more realistic perspective.

I bought a 575 when they were still fairly new on the market. I got one full week of work out of it over a 2 month period and then the crankshaft went pop. Only saw I've ever popped and it drove me nuts when it did kind of sort of run - Sam

They do/did have a really bad rep on here however.:)

Yes they do but if you look its mostly from those who never ran one and maybe never seen one.

Some earlier ones had problems and thats hard to live down for sure, even worse when it was supposed to replace a very well respected saw.

Personally I have not had any problems at all with my 05 model. That saw is smooth and powerfull.

This was about the 575 and can't remember what the differences were between it and the 576, but it's sounding like they fit in with the weight, bulk and power/torque ratio of most saws. People need to leave the engine capacity out of the equation to get a more realistic perspective.

The 576xp has a slimmer handlebar, and other changes that reduce the weight slightly. It also has a bit more power, .2kW.

Are early 575's really all that bad? Mine was. The crankshaft bent taking out the clutch side bearing, crankcase and oiler. I always thought that it felt more like a 385 when I picked it up, than a 372. It felt heavy and big and I didn't like the fat handle bar.

Latest posts

Back