Old Gas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jt99

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have been reading a lot about how most of the problems people have with their chainsaws is they leave gas sit in them for too long before using. So here are my questions regarding gas. I will be using this gas in a Stihl MS025 and MS250.

1. How long is too long for the gas to sit in either the chainsaw or a plastic container?

2. How do you drain a chainsaw with old gas? Simply open the fill knob and turn it over then fill it back up? Or do you need to take the carb apart, etc...

3. What do you with this old gas? Can it safetly be used in something else or do you have to just throw it out?

4. Is there any additives which can be added to the gas to extend its storage life?

5. If the chainsaw is going to sit for several months without being used is it best to drain the gas tank?

Thanks everybody!!

Mixed gas with a stabilizer-6 weeks, plain gas 4 weeks. These are the maximum times FOR ME. Try to mix the minimum amount and use it within 2 weeks. Use a quality oil like Stihl Ultra and use it at 50:1, not a richer mix as that lowers the octane rating of the mix. You can add your old fuel into a large gas engine but I would not go over 3 months, better just to dump it. And yes drain the fuel from your saw if you won't be using it.

1. Difficult for me to answer. Our fuel (in the UK) seems to last longer, but I wouldn't exceed 2 months.

2. Yes, just empty it out into a suitable container, but also see 5.

3. I use it in an old 4 stoke mower. Doesn't seem smoke or run bad. If you have an old vehicle dump it in that.

4. Briggs & Stratton do a fuel stabiliser and I think Stihl's 2 stoke oil has a similar product already in it.

5. Yes. I run the saw to warm it up (and prevent condensation), then empty the tank and run it again at idle 'til is stalls.

Been a few threads on 100LL avgas recently which can be stored for a lot longer.

1. This depends on the quality of their gas. I would say 30 to 60 days with pump gas. Aviation gas lasts a heck of a lot longer.

2. Drain the tank & then start saw and let it idle until it runs out of fuel. No revving the saw up.

3. Some put it in equipment which can burn it without damaging anything. Perhaps a mower or old truck.

4. STA-BIL, manufactured by the Gold Eagle Company. Some 2-stroke mix has stabilizers already in it.

5. Yes it is. Drain the tank and start and let it idle until it dies. BTW, fuel lasts longer when stored in sealed metal fuel cans instead of the plastic ones.

I will dump fuel out of saws that are going to sit for a while, 90 days. No need to disamble the carb just start the saw with no fuel in the tank and let it idle out. This willl dry out the carb. Saws that will sit for a long time 6 months or longer squirt some fogging oil in the head and carb to keep it lubricated. Mix that has been sitting around for a while I will dump into my truck fuel tank. I would rather start with a fresh tank of mix than worry how long it has been sitting or condensation and separation in the mix.

How do I go about getting aviation gas...I don't have a plane so have no experience with airport fueling facilities. There is a small local airporrt just down the road from me that services private and small commercial planes and copters...do I just walk in with a can and say "fill er up" or what?

1. How long is too long for the gas to sit in either the chainsaw or a plastic container?

2. How do you drain a chainsaw with old gas? Simply open the fill knob and turn it over then fill it back up? Or do you need to take the carb apart, etc...

3. What do you with this old gas? Can it safetly be used in something else or do you have to just throw it out?

4. Is there any additives which can be added to the gas to extend its storage life?

5. If the chainsaw is going to sit for several months without being used is it best to drain the gas tank?

Thanks everybody!!

To answer your questions

1. I usually don't let gas sit in anything over a month, whether its a mix can or a chainsaw/weedeater. Now cans is a little different. I will let unmixed gas go about 2-3 months and haven't had any problems. However once it gets to about 4-6 months it starts to smoke more when burned.

2/3 I just dump old gas into a 5 gallon bucket and take it to the local landfill as hazardous waste - costs nothing. If its still in the can, I dump it in the truck.

4. You can add products such as Sta-Bil and Seafoam to gasoline to make it last longer. I have heard that these are a bit fickle though and to just play it safe and use fresh gas.

5. I will usually drain the tanks on my equipment if I'm not going to use it for a month or more. Sometimes I idle the saw to get it all out, sometimes I don't. So far I haven't had any problems with bad gas ruining anything.

It also depends on your local blend of gasoline as well.

How do I go about getting aviation gas...I don't have a plane so have no experience with airport fueling facilities. There is a small local airporrt just down the road from me that services private and small commercial planes and copters...do I just walk in with a can and say "fill er up" or what?

I would say "Hi" first. :)

I don't think using gas that is three months old is a problem as I use oil with a stabilizer in it and it sits out of the sun in a cool dry place. Hmm Store in a Cool dry place anyone remember that song not too long ago and done by some pretty good musicians? Hint Traveling?
lol

I don't think using gas that is three months old is a problem as I use oil with a stabilizer in it and it sits out of the sun in a cool dry place.

I think that is a big key to the preservation of gas.

I wonder if anyone has put gasoline in an old refrigerator...

I think that is a big key to the preservation of gas.

I wonder if anyone has put gasoline in an old refrigerator...
I do think humidity has allot to do with it I live in a very dry place. I know a guy who moved here from down east and my favorite quote of all time is what he said to me one day. It's so dry here I have no Snot left!

Thanks for all the great replies!!

One other question I forgot to mention was about ethanol. Is it better to use non-ethanol gas for small 2 and 4 stroke engines?

Thanks for all the great replies!!

One other question I forgot to mention was about ethanol. Is it better to use non-ethanol gas for small 2 and 4 stroke engines?

Yes.

However a lot of us are stuck with having to use it unfortunately.

We have 93, 89, and 87 octane around here usually. 93 and 89 have ethanol and 87 does not.

Looks like I should start buying the 87 for my mowers, chainsaws, etc...

Off subject but, well maybe not

I bought a 66 Fairlane convertible, that had been in a controlled enviorment, unstarted for 27 years with a full tank of fuel. After changing the oil, gas line hoses, we decided to spin it over for the heck of it. It lit off quick and we ran that whole tank through it playing around before we started a proper restoration.

I have been reading a lot about how most of the problems people have with their chainsaws is they leave gas sit in them for too long before using. So here are my questions regarding gas. I will be using this gas in a Stihl MS025 and MS250.

Thanks everybody!!

1. There's no one answer. It depends on the gas and the storage conditions. Cool storage in a metal can works best. In those conditions I've used year old gas without problems but a season's worth is probably the best approach.

2. I agree with the others

3. 1 gallon of old gas blended in with 20 gallons of new gas won't cause any issues in any vehicle as long as it's not super old or dirty. Even the 2 cycle oil that's mixed in won't cause any issues because it becomes something like a 1000:1 ratio after being blended in. There's no need to waist old gas.

4. Quality 50:1 oil

5. Yes.

Your other question. Yes you just go to the airport with your jug and tell them to fill it up. Ironically here in Oregon it's against the law to pump your own automotive gas but most airparks are self serve. Go to the smallest airport you can find. I'm not sure I'd want to try buying a gallon of AVGAS at O'Hare or Hartsfield International.

I think many of the members are overly obsessive about this issue. Obviously though, there are limits. If the gas can seals tight, I would not worry about storing it for 6 months. If it is going to be more than a month or so I will drain the gas out of my saws, start and run out the rest. Do your own research and act accordingly.

Last edited:
We have 93, 89, and 87 octane around here usually. 93 and 89 have ethanol and 87 does not.

Looks like I should start buying the 87 for my mowers, chainsaws, etc...

Part of the things that I haul for a living is fuel,I'm willing to bet that your 87 has ethanol in it and I'm also willing to bet that the 87 is actualy 84 octane at 90% and 10% ethanol. This makes a 87 octane blend.Your 89 is 90% 87 and 10% ethanol and the 93 is a blend of 87,89 and 10% ethanol

Part of the things that I haul for a living is fuel,I'm willing to bet that your 87 has ethanol in it and I'm also willing to bet that the 87 is actualy 84 octane at 90% and 10% ethanol. This makes a 87 octane blend.Your 89 is 90% 87 and 10% ethanol and the 93 is a blend of 87,89 and 10% ethanol

Thank is interesting. I'll take a close look at the pump next time I fill up and see what it says.

I saw a sign on the premium pump at a small gas station recently that said "No ethanol, just good ol gas".

Is this possible?

Or a scam?

Back