OLD Homelite 360 - experts out there?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dswensen

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Picked up an OLD Craftsman 4.5 today that is obviously a Homelite 360. Model number starts 517. and has the funky transformer on the plug. Looks just like all of the 360s I've seen except it has a manual oiler. I'm thinking it's old.

Anyway, it needs a carb boot, old one is sticky black goo. But because it's older, it doesn't have the same type of boot mounting plate that the "newer" 360s have. My mounting looks like a "spring ring" at the bottom at the cylinder, up through the carb box, and just pinched between carb box and carb at the top.

I don't have the IPL, so I'm wondering if it's the 12048 boot, or the "improved" 12048C boot? If I had to gamble, I'd guess the 12048 is an older design, and since my saw has a manual oiler, I'm thinking I should be looking for the 12048.

Was the 12048C boot a major redesign, or do all of these things look alike????

Homie experts??????

If it's really a 4.5 then it's actually a homelite 450...nice 74cc saw as I have the homelite version. You can get the intake boots and other stuff you may need off eBay.

Here are a few pics for comparison.

Homelite 360
DSC00414.jpg

Homelite 450
DSC00568.jpg

Last edited:
Those saws have automatic oilers with a manual override, as far as I know. Most are from the early 80's, to give you an idea of the timeline.

If it's really a 4.5 then it's actually a homelite 450...nice 74cc saw as I have the homelite version. You can get the intake boots and other stuff you may need off eBay.

Thaks so much for the pics. Yup, it's a 450 alright. Looks just like yours, just re-badged for Craftsman.

Homelite 360

Homelite 450

Does your 450 only have an "L" carb adjustment - no "H" screw?

Those saws have automatic oilers with a manual override, as far as I know. Most are from the early 80's, to give you an idea of the timeline.

Very good, thanks. I haven't had a chance to run it yet - looking forward to checking for auto oiler. The date stamp on the Walbro SDC carb is 7/78

Mine has a 23" bar (measured, but also is badged Craftsman 4.5/23") Not a standard bar length for replacement chains. Might have to have one made up???

Latest posts

Back