old question new user - which saw???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearsfeat

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
OK. I know this question is prolly asked every month, but I DID my due diligence and searched the archives for threads relating to this. The problem is that the search terms are too common. I couldn't wade through all the hits. If anyone knows of or remembers a thread on this, please merely answer with a link and I will give you props...

Here is the question, followed by the details:

Which saw should I buy?

I have an old Mucluc Eager Beaver that recently quit running and I think the coil is bad. I am imagining that a replacement is on the order of $50. (?) if it can be found (?) and might be risky putting money into the old jalopy.

I've heated exclusively with wood for 5 years babying the old thing along cutting roadside scores and local windfalls, etc. Not a lot of volume.

Then we moved "to the city" relatively speaking. We have really been missing the wood stove and are getting an insert installed soon. I have been amassing stacks of wood in anticipation of the install now for about 2 years.

I am looking to buy a smaller saw that will last. My brother has been selling firewood in W.PA for years and is a Stihl guy. My good friend who is local to me is partial to Husk's and Jon's. I know there are a few other great brands out there.

My question is really about size, features and any other advice. I am not looking to start a brand war. I am only looking to cut 3-5 cord per year and rarely if ever will I actually cut any sizable standing tree.

Anything you can offer me will be helpful. Thanks in advance!

-Bearsfeat

I would buy used. Husky 55, stihl 034, 036, or something of the sort. No need to spend a lot on a new saw if you don't have to. And besides, it seems like parts saws are selling on ebay for almost the price of a good runner around here. So, if you find something you like, buy it, try it out, and if you don't like it, sell it, if you get a good deal of course.

BareFeet,

Well, you have your shoes off so you feel at home. Welcome.

I'd say you need a:

Stihl 361, or
Husky 359, or
Husky 357XP, or
Husky NE 346XP, or
Dolmar 5100.

Tell us about dealerships nearby, what you're going to cut and your budget and we'll have you in a saw before you know what CAD is.

Joat

I had the same consideration 13 years ago. I ended up getting an Stihl 026.
50cc saw. I have never regretted that purchase.
Not cheap, but extremely dependable.
I guess I would encourage you to look at the saws in the 50cc class, narrow it down to a couple and then refine your searches on those two (or 5) saws.

Stihl 260
Husky 346/Jred 2150 something
Solo/Redmax have a good rep here
Dolmar 5100 series
Echo - super dependable

Wow, talk about instant gratification...

Thanks for the replies.

I will take the reco's and do a bit of research on the model #'s in a bit.

Matt - good tip on the try-then-resell idea. I do a fair bit of that with computers and iPods... I never thought eBay would be a good venue for saws. I will check that out. Thanks.

Joat - Nearby dealerships...Another great tip! No sense in driving forever to get parts if I am not a die-hard "Brand-X" fan... I know there is a Stihl dealer about 20 minutes from me, but those pinheads at Boston Lawnmower blew me off once and were unprofessional IMO, so I'd rather go elsewhere. I'll research that a bit as well. I plan to cut primarily hard wood and of that mostly red oak, ash and some maple. Budget? hmmm... does my wife have to know? I would imagine I could swing something if it were under $250. Is that possible? I have not even started looking, as you can tell.

CAD - I can only guess that the "D" stands for "disorder" and "C" is chainsaw...? addict? hmm... In my line of work, CAD is "computer aided design" Did I guess right?

Thanks a lot!

ebay is a great place to sell saws and make money, and a good place to find hard to find stuff... but its near impossible to find a real deal in a saw.

not to mention you could be buying a saw listed geat runner and a real peice of @#!$%^#*& and you will wished you would have gotten it elseware and yes cad is very real!!!!!!!

my favorite chainsaw is the free one that someone puts in the wrong fuel mix or something like that etc. husky 266 is a very good saw . you can get parts. plus you can turn it into a 272. or put a 16 inch bar on it and you will have all your wood cut in a hour LOL. but you can,t go wrong with either brand.

Husky 55 or 266-268-272 are nice older firewood saws, like was said already the bigger Husky's with a 16'' bar and chisel chain will rip. You can normally get one of these for cheap, parts are easy to find, and for 5 cords a year will last awhile.

Don't get me wrong, i'm sure the 361's, 346xp's etc are amazing but it amazes me that people recommend some huge saws for firewood cutting. I agree that bigger is usually better and almost always go for the most powerful saw you can, but there is a big difference in price, in the uk a 361 is £700 and a 180 is £200 rrp. Could i really justify an extra £500 over a saw that is such a rev happy little thing? The 180 will be noticeably slower in the cut, but look at some of the video's on here and on youtube and imho it is quite adequate for cutting firewood. I use an 025 at work which is about 9 years old i think and it isn't as good as my 180. It's not a pro saw but do you really want a pro saw with pro price tag to cut firewood?

Just my opinion don't flame me ;)

:) :D :greenchainsaw:

Good luck buddy and let us know how you get on. :)

:popcorn: I would have to agree with what most of the other people here have posted that 50-60cc's are good firewood saws. I would suggest a Husky L65 as this is a good power/weight ratio saw and most can be found for a decent price, but sadly there are very few, if any new parts made for this saw now. So my other suggestions are: Husky 61, Efco 951 (50-ish cc's), Sthil 026/036/039, etc. Although if buying from ebay/private party always check feedback and ask questions!

Husqvarna: 137, 61 (in pieces-yet), L65, 288xp, 2100CD
McCulloch: Mac 2-10 (won't stay running-rainy day project)

OK. I know this question is prolly asked every month, but I DID my due diligence and searched the archives for threads relating to this. The problem is that the search terms are too common. I couldn't wade through all the hits. If anyone knows of or remembers a thread on this, please merely answer with a link and I will give you props...

Here is the question, followed by the details:

Which saw should I buy?

I have an old Mucluc Eager Beaver that recently quit running and I think the coil is bad. I am imagining that a replacement is on the order of $50. (?) if it can be found (?) and might be risky putting money into the old jalopy.

I've heated exclusively with wood for 5 years babying the old thing along cutting roadside scores and local windfalls, etc. Not a lot of volume.

Then we moved "to the city" relatively speaking. We have really been missing the wood stove and are getting an insert installed soon. I have been amassing stacks of wood in anticipation of the install now for about 2 years.

I am looking to buy a smaller saw that will last. My brother has been selling firewood in W.PA for years and is a Stihl guy. My good friend who is local to me is partial to Husk's and Jon's. I know there are a few other great brands out there.

My question is really about size, features and any other advice. I am not looking to start a brand war. I am only looking to cut 3-5 cord per year and rarely if ever will I actually cut any sizable standing tree.

Anything you can offer me will be helpful. Thanks in advance!

-Bearsfeat

bearsfeat get me a model and serial # on that eager beaver i see what i can find for you

Latest posts

Back