old stihl oiler dilemma

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larchlaborer

Reaction score
Hi, first post-- but I've spent a good deal of time learning from y'all; thanks, so far!! Also, new to digging around inside chainsaws, so I'm not proficient in your lingo (yet!). I recently acquired an older stihl 031av. Seems to run great, however, no oil coming out of port hole to lubricate chain. :(
I removed the sprocket/clutch to expose pump. Gear on pump turns w/ gear attached to sprocket-- no problem there. Removed pump. Injected solvent down exit port hole so that it flushed line to pump (pump is removed, mind you). On the flipside, I examined oil filter attached to line; appeared very clear. Put small amount of gas in oil tank, swished around till gas came out pump opening (again, pump is still removed). I figure I've covered my bases, something must have been lodged in one of those two areas. Pumps rarely go bad right?? Well, I assembled everything, put some oil in the tank, and fire it up. Still dry! :bang:
My questions: Was my approach flawed somewhere; something I missed?? How can I test the pump?? Can they be fixed/flushed?? Parts are rare for this saw and I want to be sure it's broken before I spend money on a part. Sorry, this is long, but wanted to give accurate details. Thanks for any and all help y'all can provide. Waiting in anticipation....

Last edited:
Not positive but the 031 might be a Stihl that requires a little tiny pin from the sprocket to the oil pump in order to drive it. The pin looks like a single needle bearing.

Try priming the pump by slightly pressurizing the tank or squirting oil in from the bar oiler hole. Good luck.

Yes, make sure the pin is in place - it's in the big "washer/cover "and sticks out into the sprocket. The pump rarely goes bad.

Hi, thanks for the replies. It turns out the pump was bad. I took it out and showed it a local dealer. There was something going on inside that made the pump gear shaft almost stop turning. By a miracle, he happened to have a new one on hand which I promptly 'stole' for a great price!! He said this particular saw model is from early 70's-- perhaps 71-72. Engine still runs like a champ and should run even better w/ a new oiler. thanks again,
ben

Latest posts

Back