old stove retrofit question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rokspydr

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi,
So I was sitting in my house awhile ago staring at the old alaska stove insert that was there for who knows how long. It had quite the appetite for wood as you would expect. So I got to thinking can I make this better? Well almost 1.5 years later ( too many projects). it's in the home stretch. I built a glass door, added a outside air intake (washes down the glass). and made a new upper baffle with afterburn tubes. Yesterday I fired it up and let it get hot and for the first time the flu temp matched the stove temp, I could see the gasses igniting and rolling across the top. I am quite pleased to say the least. But I was wondering something, I made the afterburn holes 1/8" Nut I think I need to go to 3/16". anyone with any input?
I'll post pics later. thank's for reading.

Marc

I drilled them 1/8" origionally, but today i enlarged them to3/16". I'm still making changes as I go, it's a learning process. I loaded it last night at 8:30 and today at 9:am there were still red embers in it. I was pretty happy to see that. I'll get some pic's monday, got a splitting job to do tomorrow. For the first time I had flu temp matching the box temp.

Latest posts

Back