Oldies can be goodies. And the bug can hit anytime.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KickingBack

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys;

Just thought I would get on here and tell a few. I inherited an old Stihl 015L from father in law. Thing looked good and as I did not have a smaller than 59 cc (Jonsy 2159) thought it could come in handy. Did some checking up on the specks of it and the age in which they were out and realized this one was in very fine shape for the time. Ran good and when I took it out cutting the first time found I just did not put it down until I was in stuff too big for it. But if it could cut it I used it and not the Jonsy. Well that started it. Went back on web and here and did more research. Dang it I got the bug. Had to have another one for back up you know.And then there is my Son-in-Law, he needs a small saw too so thought if I like them maybe he would too, but wanted to give him a AV model cause of vibration. (I know now some guys do not like the other models cause of that soooo..) Hey got to get him something for Christmas anyway so why not. Started checking out ebay every day, maybe even twice a day. Now got 3 sitting here and another on way. (2 L's and one straight 015 here now and one AV on way) Just got the one straight 015 yesterday that I picked up for 37.00 and really enjoyed talking with the guy who put it up. Picture on auction really looked like this saw had been use for a chainsaw massacre as stuff on bar looked like it could be blood and it looks that way sitting here too. Wonder if someone used this to cut up deer? If they did, did they think of the bar oil getting on the meat? OH yum, guess they figured it as tenderizer, or maybe they added spices to the oil? New way to marinade.

Anyway got to check it out this morning. Took out the spark plug first. It looked really good. Looked in at the piston and some carbon but not bad at all. (think most of these are bad with carbon as they recommended 25 to 1 mix and that is a lot of oil and if ran rich???) Squirted some oil in cylinder to make sure it would be lubed when I turned it (left plug out). Put new gas in tank and swished around and then drained. Put kerosene in oil tank and swished, then took bar cover, bar and chain off and put drill to clutch nut and spun and thought I saw little bit kero come out oil hole, but with Kero being thinner did not expect there would be much but got some in system to clean it out anyway. Drained that and put in oil. Put new mix in gas tank and then spun again with drill and definitely saw oil come out hole. So now time to put back in spark plug after checking gap. Put choke on and grabbed handle and yanked. Felt like great compression and fired up very first pull.(should have done this outside cause of the oil I squirted in cylinder, Oh was it smoky) Took saw outside now.( I learn quick, haha) Took about 3 times before it would stay running after choke off and off high speed but dang now. This little sucker a gem in the rough. I am really pleased as punch with this one. Now to take it apart and get it all cleaned up. I am not one that is much into collecting stuff but think I would like to have one of each model (even though there is really not much different between straight and L model) in mostly pristene shape.

At first I was a little worried about parts availability for these with their age, but finding most everything I need without too much trouble. Funny thing though. Every one I have so far does not have the sideplates for the bar. But stopped at Stihl dealer yesterday and got 3 outside plates but only had one inside plate but will have more come Thursday or Friday. Oh the second one I got, not sure why but never even tried to start it. Had to fix pawls first as would not grab to turn over and just kept on taking apart. It was really gunk-ed up with carbon but jug and piston are in great shape. Don't know about rest of systems, if they are working but almost ready to put back together and try it out. Thinking about opening up mufflers but haven't made up mind on it yet. Maybe just do one I got first and then decide on others. I know it was worth it on my Jonsy and also old Poulan 4000 I got but these little ones don;t know about.

Well enough jacking the jaws. Except to say I was happy to find I only live a few miles from Eric (Woodsjunkie) and looking forward to getting to meet him sometime soon. I'm only a firewood cutter (outside burner but large area to heat so need quite a bit of wood) and this is only 2nd year I've ever had chainsaw in hands but you all here have really helped me out alot. For that I thank you for sharing you knowledge.

Oh one question for anyone who wants to answer. Is it worth the trouble, effort and expense to get into square filing chisel (by hand as not the money for grinder that can do it) to cut maybe 40 to 50 cord a year? I am just now getting to where I can do maybe a decent job freehand round filing and dealer told me square was first for chainsaws but then round came in when looking for more lasting sharpness and less damage when hitting crap. So want others opinions? :eek: Thanks

Ola
--
KickingBack (Charlie)

Did I hear you correctly,40 or 50 cords of wood?I'm not trying to be a smart alec,but that is a great deal of wood you are talking about.When I used wood,as my primary heat,I burned about 6 or 7 cord,a season.When I sold the stuff,it was 60 to 70 cord,and it kept me real busy.

Never measured

Hi Al;

Didn't say I use that much, But wouldn't be surprised if I use 30 cord myself. But have others I cut with and share. Along with Son-in-Law i cut with for him. I really have not measure or added up what I cut but sure seems like it should be that much as it keeps me busy too now that I have gotten into it.

But dang this is a hungry beast I feed and it is big. course the territory it covers (heats) is quite a bit. Not going to say square footage as have not added it up. But will say two story house w full basement, attached apartment, out building that was propane business then beauty shop with tanning beds and a workshop about 22 by 16 besides. And unfortunately I do not get to burn all really good wood. But you know I like it. It is the physical exercise I need. I may get to hurting lots at times but even with that I feel better. I find cold don't bother me as much as it use too. And I love being out there cutting when the snow is flying. Forget the wind and rain ( I do) but the snow I like.

Well shucks enough for tonight. Yall take care and Gods blessings to all here.

--
KickingBack (Charlie)

Back